The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vent on the unfairness of life...

So, we got chickens. Nothing fancy, just over a dozen fairly friendly free range hens and a friendly roo. They get to wander around the place and pretty much do as they wish. Always underfoot, but never an issue, until... my young kid's little banty hen happened to be in the wrong spot at the worng time, and is no more.

I am unbelievably saddened by her sudden demise. She was the most peaceful gentle little soul. The kid could catch and carry her around at will since 3yrs old (still cute and clumsy). The little bird would sit in laps for over 1/2hr quietly waiting to be stroked.

I have searched high and low for a look alike - and wouldn't you know it, ANY other kind of bird I am able to find, but not another like her at the moment.

Why could it not have been another bird, any other bird, even my fave hen. Why did it have to be this gentle little creature befriended by an innocent little kid?

Ugh...
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

oh I'm so sorry.

Yup, the good ones go first. Maybe if you post a pic someone on CLOTH will identify the breed of chicky and know where to find one like her? Save a few feathers and make some pretty earings or such. Then she will always be with you.