The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Can someone explain a "restocking fee" to me?

I order girth advertised as 58" from Horseloverz but come to find out its only a 55".
    I return it in the EXACT SAME CONDITION I got it in. Still in the bag.

So why am I charged a 25% restocking fee???

I have never heard of such a thing???
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

IME restocking is only applied to a special/custom order.

I would try to get out of it due to the fact that the girth size was not what you ordered.
    From what I've read most of restocking fees come from packaging being opened and so now the product can not be sold as new anymore (or possibly special orders). Not sure how that would apply to a girth as long as all packaging (tags and such) were not removed or dirtied, and especially since the girth was not the length advertised.

3 members found this post helpful.

I got it on ebay...is that maybe why? Although they sell the same product on their website...??

Its only 6 bucks so really not worth the fight, honestly. I just know I wont be shopping with them again
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I got it on ebay...is that maybe why? Although they sell the same product on their website...??

Its only 6 bucks so really not worth the fight, honestly. I just know I wont be shopping with them again
    If you got it on ebay you should be covered for 100% of purchase and shipping if the item received is not as advertised. I would complain as the return was not due to your error, buyers remorse or a change of mind. If they aren't willing to correct their error, I'd open a claim with ebay.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    If you got it on ebay you should be covered for 100% of purchase and shipping if the item received is not as advertised. I would complain as the return was not due to your error, buyers remorse or a change of mind. If they aren't willing to correct their error, I'd open a claim with ebay.
    This, in spades. If anything, go through with it to send a message that you aren't going to take their screw up lying down.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

And another thing!

Use Ebay to hold Horseloverz accountable because that company represents all that is wrong with the Modern Ebay. Ebay now serves the big commercial store more that it does the individual seller. That's true if it favors sellers at all. Really, it kowtows to the persnickety buyer. But, and closer to our home in HorseWorld, Horseloverz has out-done Dover in terms of providing bad customer service as it got larger.

I had a bad Ebay experience with Horseloverz when they were one or two people. The product was not as represented and the seller, who had been available by phone before the sale, promptly disappeared when things went wrong.

So.... if you don't use Ebay to make this right, you are financing the downfall of civilization as it is expressed in the edifice of online shopping. Heinous Horseloverz will keep doing what it does and inviting other online companies to follow suit because every part of their business plan is cheap. And then..... we will go back to our species' pre-tool using era.

I hope you will take your civic responsibility seriously....for a missing 3" in a girth.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

9 members found this post helpful.

If you paid by PayPal, just open a dispute on the item through them. PayPal, that is.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

We charge a restocking fee if customer changes mind or has a lot leftover, so does the factory. Never for something not right, though.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Usually you are charged that fee because the item must be repackaged; or because the store has to have a clerk put the item back in inventory. (such as into the computer system as well as taking the item to the warehouse and putting it back where it came from.)

But if here the company got the order wrong? I'd email and call their customer # and tell them exactly what the issue was, if they sent the wrong size and I returned it. The company should give you a refund of that restocking fee IF the error was theirs. Now if you clicked on the wrong size and made a mistake, then you should pay the restocking fee. Check your order first to make sure you did not accidentally order the wrong size. If the error was that of the company, then email and call and complain.

I have never ever had a problem with Ebay or Paypal getting my money back when I disputed not receiving an item. Even when the sellers tried to get away with it by sending and tracking a cheap item instead of the one I ordered. I think it is interesting that some of the sellers who are also on Coth complain that Ebay and Paypal "always side with the buyer." Now here's someone saying that they "side with the seller."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Not to mention leave the according feedback....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've never had a problem (all minor stuff) with them that hasn't been resolved nicely. Send them a message first explaining what happened-before spending the time leaving feedback/opening a dispute-that'll take more time, and it would certainly be more courteous to give them an opportunity to fix their mistake. If it's their mistake hopefully they will refund you the restocking fee-everything is done so automatically by computers that anything circumstance such as this needs to be overridden by a breathing body. Good luck.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post

I cannot really tell you how many times people have bought items from us and attempted to return the item ... which was not bought from us. We mark everything that leaves our place.

Unless we know the account we have gotten to the point of no returns and even then we have to question the return

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And another thing!

Use Ebay to hold Horseloverz accountable because that company represents all that is wrong with the Modern Ebay. Ebay now serves the big commercial store more that it does the individual seller. That's true if it favors sellers at all. Really, it kowtows to the persnickety buyer. But, and closer to our home in HorseWorld, Horseloverz has out-done Dover in terms of providing bad customer service as it got larger.

I had a bad Ebay experience with Horseloverz when they were one or two people. The product was not as represented and the seller, who had been available by phone before the sale, promptly disappeared when things went wrong.

So.... if you don't use Ebay to make this right, you are financing the downfall of civilization as it is expressed in the edifice of online shopping. Heinous Horseloverz will keep doing what it does and inviting other online companies to follow suit because every part of their business plan is cheap. And then..... we will go back to our species' pre-tool using era.

I hope you will take your civic responsibility seriously....for a missing 3" in a girth.
    This made me
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    Usually you are charged that fee because the item must be repackaged; or because the store has to have a clerk put the item back in inventory. (such as into the computer system as well as taking the item to the warehouse and putting it back where it came from.)

."
    you have to unpack the thing first to make sure the object returned is actually the item that is supposed to be in the box ---and that STILL WORKS, then you have to issue a credit, then you re-enter the item back into inventory, then re-stock it , then explain to the next dude that the item was returned from a prior sale

2 members found this post helpful.