The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Where did spring go?

It's supposed to go down to 37 tonight. EVERYTHING that was just planted will probably have to be replanted because of ground temp and soaked ground. It's supposed to rain on and off for the next three days with cold night temperatures.

I am depressed by this.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

We broke the low record, that was 32F, getting down to 28F.

The wheat was toast already from two weeks ago getting down to 17F.

Without moisture, we don't even have some weeds trying to grow, still look mostly like the middle of winter, still feeding horses like the middle of winter.
    My neighbor came to get a trailer load of hay today, normally he would already have horses turned out on green grass, but is still feeding every bite they get.

Anyone ever heard of "reading an onion"?
    Someone here did and it said we would get moisture soon.
    Sure hope that was not a lying onion.

Seeing as how my air conditioner is busted, I'm grateful :-)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

All of our snow still didn't melt yet.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Anyone want 14 more inches of snow? I wish we could get up to 37 ......

Default From riding and hosing horses to that four letter word = SNOW ! How rude !!

Midwest went from sunny and warm ``` hosing horses after rides to

that FOUR LETTER WORD ~~~~ SNOW !!!!!

Just rude !

Snow on the
    red bud trees ! That's just wrong !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; May. 3, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Midwest went from sunny and warm ``` hosing horses after rides to

that FOUR LETTER WORD ~~~~ SNOW !!!!!

Just rude !

Snow on the
    red bud trees ! That's just wrong !

Tell us how you feel.

1 members found this post helpful.

We had another foot of snow last Wednesday. We've had more snow in the last three weeks than we had ALL WINTER.

What the hell, mother nature? I'm thankful for the moisture, and hopefully the whole foothills/mountains won't burn all summer (like they did last year) but I'd really rather we get it a few inches at a time, from October through March or so.

Sigh.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

We've got the opposite problem--we are too dry! Yes, the PNW is dry...and sunny...and unseasonably warm. We algae covered, greenish "wet landers", are suffering under 80 degree temperatures. I had to water my flower beds...in MAY!?? I know, I know...hard problem to have, but I'm worried about having no pasture left by June, and no hay to buy due to all this dry/rainless weather. It is freakish and weird.

If I could send you guys some heat and sun I would.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Sunday I rode outside in my tshirt. Today the fields are covered in snow. good grief, Charlie Brown!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Hippolyta--my brother lives near the Wisconsin border in MN and he mowed his lawn one weekend, and shoveled his walk the next! God bless you Mid-Westerners, a hearty lot you are. I ate dinner out on the patio of our favorite restaurant tonight....normally, those tables don't come out until after July 4 here! Shocking! I had to dig out my fly sheets. I'm sure this either means we'll be in a drought before the end of June, or the rain and cool temps will return by June, just in time for our outdoor show season.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

If there wasn't weather in in MN, what we would have to talk about?

1 members found this post helpful.

I was at Rolex last weekend. I met more people from Wisconsin as I walked around and chatted. They all mostly said they came down to get a taste of spring. I giggled thinking if anyone ever wanted to invade Wisconsin and repatriate it, last weekend was the weekend to do it because most of the residents were gone.

That being said, ZuZu is a neighbor and yeah, this past week was simply rotten weather wise. After the cold snap the drizzly rain set in but tomorrow looks a little promising!

Yeah - summer in PNW....and ponies have been in muzzles for weeks now.

We had that whitecrap here on Tuesday - I KNEW it was gonna do something nasty by Monday night, so, just in case, I overfed hay and gave extra water, then I heard the weather liar say snow and blowing snow into Wednesday, and I was happy I gave the old man double hay because feeding would have been impossible in the horrid winds. Thankfully, the ground was warm enough the stuff mostly melted or it would have been another foot of the crap lying around.

The 10 foot drift by the barn door is finally down to around 3' in most places but parts of the fence are still buried and the 20 foot drift is just laughing at 60°F - we'll see what happens today with another few degrees added. I have a pretty good lake in the pasture from what did melt.

Maybe it is spring - Jack said so last night in his own kitteh way by first wanting to be fed in the barn and then by refusing to come in for the night.

We are also under flood watches in this are so just hoping things are alright. Might take a drive tomorrow to see how bad it is on the hay flat - afraid it's going to be a repeat of two years ago when the 'river' was miles wide.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe
    We've got the opposite problem--we are too dry! Yes, the PNW is dry...and sunny...and unseasonably warm. We algae covered, greenish "wet landers", are suffering under 80 degree temperatures. I had to water my flower beds...in MAY!?? I know, I know...hard problem to have, but I'm worried about having no pasture left by June, and no hay to buy due to all this dry/rainless weather. It is freakish and weird.
    No complaining, PNWers! We just came off of the second wettest April on the history books! We could use a few weeks of sun

Here in SOCA we have highs in the 90s one day and then down into the 50s the next. Add in a couple of fires, some high wind and a promise of rain and I think we covered the whole nation's weather in a week.
    Back in Houston, Tx it's either flooding or frying with not much in between.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

CA is heading into BIG trouble unless we get rain. It has to rained since Nov., our snowpack is 1/3 what it should be, and it's been "spring" since January. I've spent a lot of time in tank tops and shorts. Because it's been so dry, the fires are starting--down south, and we've got a few up north.

I know it's not much fun for you guys with all of that white stuff, but at least you have water. We're on schedule for our normal drought every 7/8 years. Sigh. Back to flushing toilets with bath water.

I dunno where spring went - we skipped it and it is summer up here -
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

It's still cold over here. Ponies all have rugs on still and the grass doesn't seem to be really growing. I'd love some sunshine. It's also been quite dry. I think we need a bit of rain.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!