The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Barnsby Liberte Cross Country Saddle

Hello! So here's my question. I need a second saddle, one that can fit the wider spectrum of things. I will preface this by saying I can't spend enough to get a Wise saddle with the adjustable tree (over $2500) I also don't generally trust adjustable trees. I already have a Black Country Tex Eventer with all the bells and whistles (including long billets) BUT its a medium narrow. I no longer have the horse it was built for but I know I will come across narrow horses in the future and since I am tall, narrow horses LOVE it, and it was custom made for me I really don't want to sell it. So I am looking at the Barnsby Liberte Cross Country Saddle to buy in a wide or medium for the other types of horses i ride. I like that it doesn't have a deep seat, if you've ever dropped a big bank or set of steps you'll agree. I also like that it is minimal and a monoflap which is pretty much the only thing I will ride in now. So there are NO reviews anywhere on this saddle, I'm trying to get a feel for if its as well balanced and supportive as it looks and wether barnsbys are as "forgiving" with fit as stubbens (I just can't stand how deep their seats are or I would go for one). here is a link to the saddle on smart pack. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/barnsb...x?cm_vc=Search

I have never ridden in this Barnsby model but have ridden in many others.

In my opinion, Barnsby saddles are a hidden jewel in north america. Lovely saddle, well made in England, reasonably priced and beautiful quality leather. I ride in the schokemohle because I like a deeper seat. They fit many horses consistently and tend to be horse friendly. I also have a long femur despite my short height, and find that the balance point is very friendly.

Considering that Smartpak is offering this as a test ride saddle, I think you have nothing to lose by trying it!!

Thanks! I actually grew up in the UK so I am very familiar with the saddles from back then but just wanted to double check that they are still as great as they used to be! Thanks!

I love my Barnsby Diablo, and it fits quite a variety of horses well. Haven't ridden in the Liberte.
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by yventer View Post
    it fits quite a variety of horses well.
    what width tree do you have and are you mainly on TBs or a serious variety. Just trying to nail down wether the saddles tend to run wide or narrow. thanks!