The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you train in the rain?

Riding horses is one of the few sports where they don't cancel the show due to rain, but how many of us still go ride in the rain. I am limited right now to riding 3 days a week. It's killing me. Today I was lucky and hauled to an indoor, but tomorrow it will be raining and I can't haul anywhere. How many of you would ride as usual, despite the rain?

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have an indoor or covered. I like in FL and once rainy season starts, you get rain almost every afternoon without fail. If I can't ride in the morning, then I usually get stuck in a rain shower. I have a raincoat that I wear that is pretty long and covers the saddle as well as some of me. I wear my lightweight Iredion or Kerrits breeches which dry out faster than my cotton and I wear a technical shirt. I always have a change of clothes in the car so that I'm not wearing sopping clothes driving home. Nothing is worse than wet undies.

I flat in the rain and I jump in the rain as long as the footing is good. Ride like it is a sunny day. Hope my horse is good so I can cut the ride a bit shorter than usual, but if he doesn't want to do the counter canter or he is stiff to the left, then we work on that. No rain will cut into my ride. I do hate though when it is cold rain. I usually do conditioning sets in freezing cold rain with a quarter sheet for my horse.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Unless it's *really* pouring or dangerously windy, I try to ride. It does rain a lot here, but lots of people squeeze through the winter competitions with limited riding. I prefer to work more regularly. It does suck - it's tiring and often a bit miserable, but I've slowly collected a bunch of things that help, such as warm, waterproof riding boots and gloves, quarter sheet for the horse, waterproofing product for my saddle and bridle, lots of 'horse' towels, winter riding tights, an excellent waterproof jacket (or a long oilskin for the really bad days!), good rugs for the horses and so on.

I think the horses are better for the more regular work, and also better on competition days as it's not such a shock to their systems! Plus it's made me realise that weather that looks bad from inside usually isn't as bad as it looks.

Yes, I ride in the rain. But, I'm English, I live in England...if I didn't ride in the rain I would hardly ride a lot of the year Rain clothes and it's not so bad

7 members found this post helpful.

I used to be better about riding in the rain when I didn't have an indoor. Now I'm spoiled.

But, in fairness, I did actually hack in the rain the other day....it was his first day back after an event and the last thing I wanted to do was school in the indoor. The temp was nice it was a misty rain, so off we went.

lol, yellowbritches, loving your comment on that photo.

Another from the UK here- man up and ride! And be grateful that you don't live in the UK!

4 members found this post helpful.

If it's not dangerously pouring down or there's lightning, then I still ride. I always kind of questioned the people who refuse to ride in the rain. It's just water, what's the problem?

I think you need to. The competitions are held in the rain and how are you going to be comfortable with the feel of wet reins and being pelted if you don't? Not to mention getting your glasses wet and not being able to see. Anyway I used to, but thunderstorms do scare me a little, for obvious reasons.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 members found this post helpful.

I would melt...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Yes, I ride in the rain. But, I'm English, I live in England...if I didn't ride in the rain I would hardly ride a lot of the year Rain clothes and it's not so bad
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing!

Some weeks, if I didn't ride in the rain, the horses wouldn't get ridden.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

As long as there is not lightning (which often goes hand in hand with rains up here in the mountains.)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I ride in the rain as long as it isn't also really cold (low 40s/upper 30s).
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Mostly just depends on the footing for me. Though I am known to bust out the winter breeches when it's 60 degrees, so I may be a little cautious when it's a cold rain!

Pony usually tries to convince me he'll melt the when the first rain drops hit his butt Once he decides we're really not stopping he actually seems to enjoy the warm rains.

When we were in Colorado with almost daily summer showers we rode in the rain all the time, unless there was lightning associated with it. Now that we're in Mississippi swamp land, rain showers = torrential downpour that leave the arena underwater for days

Since I'd rather work on his trot than his backstroke, we haven't ridden much in the rain here.

As long as the footing is fine and it's not a thunderstorm, ride away! There has been more than one cross-country ride where I've moved up significantly because my horse goes well in the mud/rain. Wait...on second thought...no, don't ride in the rain! You'll melt!

I have no indoor and no sand ring, so my riding is dependent on the condition of the footing in the part of the pasture where I ride. In the past, after about 20 min of rain the surface is too slick to do anything but w/t.

However, as of this week, I'm having a 60m x 30m sand ring installed so now I'll be able to keep riding regardless of rain (except, of course, if there is lightning or hail or anything else dangerous).

At present, rain is the only way I get a break, so not only no but heck no. I've ridden a few times in the rain at competitions, if the footing was good and didn't have any problems. If it is cold and/or miserable and I'm not riding a client's horse, I'll scratch. I show my own horses for FUN, now!

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't have an indoor so yeh, I ride in the rain. I throw on the Gore-Tex (if it's cold, 'pony' gets a Gore-Tex quarter sheet) and off we go. I find once I get going it's not so bad. I won't ride if I see lightning though!

Seriously? Put your jacket on and go get on that horse! Of course we ride in the rain and I've yet to see anyone melt. With a proper jacket or poncho, I rarely even get that wet. Giant thunderstorm? No, of course not. But heck, we've been out training when it is raining ice -- if you are going to show up to a horse trial with a fit, prepared horse, you have to put the time in.

It depends on your expectations too -- if you are just riding for pleasure, there is less demand for consistent work. But I never accept "the weather was crappy" as an ongoing excuse for not keeping a horse up or not being prepared for something; we (generic 'we') are out there in January in the dark, icy drizzle with a headlamp on so we can be ready for the early Carolina spring, so if you want it, you better be out there with us!

Yes, we ride in the rain. Living in Oregon we wouldn't get to ride a large part of the year if we didn't!