The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I always have one on my saddle. I like hooking a thumb around it when I am walking on the buckle on a hack. If she takes a misstep or spooks the strap pulls me down into the saddle. She is also the type that spooks in place but gets very offended if you touch her mouth in the process so the strap keeps my hand down and quiet while she vertically vaults in place.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Because neither my horse's head nor my hand position is ideal yet, I sometimes grab mane in canter depart, not because I yank on his mouth but because I throw contact away in an attempt not to use my hands if I get squirrelly. But many of the saddles I've tried have a bucking strap attached. Only that's not what we call it .
    Ha! Yeah, bucking strap and oh crap strap are the censored versions... i have used one if I'm throwing away the reins too much, too.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    It is very useful for tying up reins when longing. It also allws the student to use it to pull themselves in the saddle at sitting trot on the longe. It saves the pommel from scrabbling fingers.

As a "bucking strap" I've never found it useful, as I'm too busy coping to grab onto it, and I find it doesn't give me the latitude to use my hands as I need to in one "those" situations.
    I rode through about 40m of very hard bucking where if I had thought to grap the strap I may have stayed in the saddle, and ridden the rest of the bucking instead of parting ways at 40m! My horse is far stronger than I am, and in that case had I been able to re-balance myself well enough I may have been able to stop it, but otherwise was just screwed.

I have used one when making a correction for naughtiness where I suspect the response will be aerial. If my horse is in a mood he can go from ignore-ignore-ignore to BUCK! in 1/2 second.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    This is what I use for students that haven't developed the core stability yet to not use the reins for balance.
    These are also called cordeos (if you're a bridle less rider), a neck strap (if your an eventer) or a neck tie (saddleseat)
    OMG! $45 for basically a stirrup leather?!?!
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by ctab View Post
    OMG! $45 for basically a stirrup leather?!?!
    *I* Don't buy the one listed in the quote ;-) That's where old stirrup leathers and old polo wraps go to retire.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

3 members found this post helpful.

*I* Don't buy the one listed in the quote ;-) That's where old stirrup leathers and old polo wraps go to retire.
    Bit of Britain makes a nice neck strap for under $20. It has the thickness of a rein so it's easy to hold onto at the same time as the reins.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Oh well call me a sissy then. If being a sissy is what it takes for self-preservation....then I think I'll keep mine on my saddles and let you keep calling names At least at 50 I can still walk upright and back/start young stock
    My "sissy strap" is 14 inches of mane, grabbed with impunity.

2 members found this post helpful.

I ride with a sissy/bucking strap because I use it to pull myself deeper into the saddle. Bad hip is the problem. I am in the camp of using whatever works for you. And not worrying what anyone else thinks.

William Fox Pitt uses one on all horses jumping. He's not a chicken.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Bit of Britain makes a nice neck strap for under $20. It has the thickness of a rein so it's easy to hold onto at the same time as the reins.
    I just bought an old standing martingale and took off the standing part. When I trail ride I will attach it to the saddle with yarn. My horse likes to splash and play in the water and the strap wants to slide to his ears. I normally hold the reins forward and up so he doesn't catch his hoof in a rein. It is awkward to hold the reins forward and up with one hand, hold the neck strap at the base of the neck and have the crop available if he wants to roll. The yarn solves. Cost was $7 for martingale and $3 for yarn that I also would use for braiding for shows.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I haven't used a sissy strap since I was 4. My mother called it that for good reason. It breaks the line from elbow to bit, raises the rider's center of gravity, and disengages their core.
    I don't dig these for the same reason-- mainly the biomechanics one. I have short arms, too, so if I have my hands close enough to use a grab strap, they are assuredly in the wrong place.

And another thing! If I think I might come off a horse, I'm grabbing mane, not saddle.

Why aren't you guys also a big fan of the mane? God's natural handle.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I don't dig these for the same reason-- mainly the biomechanics one. I have short arms, too, so if I have my hands close enough to use a grab strap, they are assuredly in the wrong place.

And another thing! If I think I might come off a horse, I'm grabbing mane, not saddle.

A stirrup leather placed strategically forward works much better than mane. Plus, the pressure of the strap on the horse's neck is very good at steadying them. I can walk/trot/canter my horse just off pressure from the neck strap. While out hunting, I often hold onto the neck strap when galloping as it steadies both me and him without the need to touch the reins. Mane just doesn't cut it. Also, since my horse's mane is pulled pretty short, it's not as secure.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have "bucking straps" on my saddles, but they're mostly used for dragging the saddle forward and off the saddle rack.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    William Fox Pitt uses one on all horses jumping. He's not a chicken.
    Uhh, Nope. Sorry, but that's wrong. William Fox Pitt (and many other British eventers) use a neck strap... BIG difference in form, function and context. (A neck strap lets you place your hands alongside the horse's neck when it jumps, where they need to be to maintain the line of contact with the bit).
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Have you noticed in this thread that people use a variety of appliances that may or may not be called bucking straps, neck straps, etc? So there were neck straps mentioned in this thread. So WFP as an example actually fits.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Quite honestly if it gets to the point where I need to grab mane my @$$ is grass anyway.

When I need to grab something to stay on it is usually the entire neck of the horse.

Like one of those jockeys clinging on to the side down a three stride line after a fluke trip, praying to God please whoa, please whoa, please whoa oh crap the f*cker is straight as an arrow and going to jump out of this line regardless.

However I have absolutely no issues or negative words for people who use a bucking strap. Perhaps if I had had one at the time I wouldn't have navigated that line watching the ground canter by through the rein whilst clinging desperately and finding religion.

My "center of gravity" and "bit to elbow line" were well past cattywompus by then and survival was the main goal.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; May. 6, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Have you noticed in this thread that people use a variety of appliances that may or may not be called bucking straps, neck straps, etc? So there were neck straps mentioned in this thread. So WFP as an example actually fits.

Paula
    Paula, I was just trying to make what I feel is an important distinction between the 'bucking straps' discussed in the OP and other devices that allow for a more natural contact. As I said upthread, I have no problem with people using these pommel-straps per se, but I don't understand the physics behind them and how they can be used without impeding contact. That's all.

If it gets to the point where I need a Hail Mary (prayer and/or strap version) I'm not really thinking about the way I look.

I do really like them for lunge line lessons, as I have a problem shedding my hunter princess perch for a DQ deep seat. I can use them to help pull me into the saddle. I also like it because my Willow has a rather spectacular scoot when I correct her with my whip. I'm usually correcting her because she's decided she doesn't want to go forward, so I can hook my thumb around my oh crap strap before giving her the correction so I don't catch her in the mouth. I can see it coming very much in handy at her first few shows, as she often does the 'freeze, snort, n' scoot.' I don't want to rip her braids out!

I've never used one over fences, much preferring a grab (or neck) strap as the positioning is much more natural.

As a side note, DH had a good chuckle over that rs-tor strap, saying he was now going to call his paddle that while canoeing in hopes that it would be held the same way... ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Oh my, Superminion.... where's Jilly Cooper when you need her?!

I haven't used a sissy strap since I was 4. My mother called it that for good reason. It breaks the line from elbow to bit, raises the rider's center of gravity, and disengages their core.
    Get back to us on that after you've had a couple serious falls.
    No shame in grabbing leather if'n it saves your ass.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

i really am astounded sometimes by the responses and negativity of the replies when someone admits to using an aid that gives a little comfort if needed.
    mm

4 members found this post helpful.