The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We have one on every one of our saddles.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

1 members found this post helpful.

I do too, but i never use it during the ride. In fact its not safe.. My Dad had a very interesting fall once.. We had a rather spooky horse then and it suddenly took off.
    My Dad grabbed for the strap. Unfortunately it tore...
    He fell off.
    Since then I dont trust it.. I use it mainly to mount my horse.. I'm just used to the handle. Also I tie my reins there when longing....

By the way in Germany its called "Maria Hilf Riemen"

3 members found this post helpful.

I have a Hail Mary strap on each of my saddles.
    I can't think of the last time I actually used it. But thinking about using it makes me sit deeper, I do that every once in a while
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Who the heck wants to hold onto the front of the saddle if their horse bucks?? It's not going to stop your horse from bucking.. holding on the reins (and pulling up) will stop your horse from bucking.

2 members found this post helpful.

It really is just called a bucking strap, bM. more of all purpose grab strap, as others have said, for o crap moments.

You can use it for schooling (remind you to steady your hands, if it is long enough, or to pull yourself deeper into the saddle during lunging to learn the feel, etc etc),

I have heard a strap recommended often & see many a lot of riders use them, including pros. I think they can serve a lot of functions, if for some it is only there for confidence, so what?

8 members found this post helpful.

I like the Whinny Widgets straps. They have clips, not buckles and have elastic inserts so they have a little give. I just loaned one to my coach so she can try it.

BTW, I'd always attach bucking straps, OMG straps or Hail Mary straps (my new favorite name!) to dee savers, not directly to the dees. If you ever DO have an emergency and get yanked around hard, it would be a shame to have a dee broken or ripped off the saddle.

you can call them oh sh*t straps too,and they are good for holding on to your saddle when you carry it.I have them on my saddles ,rarely use them,but they are there.
    mm

Meh, it's like any other piece of security equipment. For example I now wear a vest when I hack out. I call it my Fallin' Shirt. So helmet, O Crap Strap, Fallin' Shirt, and I'm good to go.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

5 members found this post helpful.

I have one though I rarely use it or think about it. If you've been around dressage a while and aren't familiar with them, most likely you just didn't notice them because they're so discreet.

I don't see how you can keep an elastic, following, contact holding on to one of these unless it was rather long. I can see one for iffy moments (although I think I would be either too busy redirecting the horse or falling off to use it).
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

I bought one a couple of years ago for my dressage saddle. It was on there for a bit, I never used it, now it sits somewhere in the back of my truck. I wouldn't want to hang onto it during a bucking fit, it'd probably rip the D rings right off of my saddle
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

My thoughts exactly CFF... I don't have anything against someone using one if it helps them psychologically, but I'm struggling to understand how they can be very effective in a physical sense. (And I'm referring to general schooling, NOT starting or re-starting). Maybe someone can explain the physics to me?

For me, when a horse does something naughty I want to be able to use the reins appropriately and and kick on, because I don't think a piece of leather that can move significantly above and around the pommel is going to provide a significant anchor to the saddle - or at least not an anchor that your own centre of gravity and core engagement wouldn't likewise achieve.

Then again, if I had my druthers I'd make everyone do things the old-fashioned way, by not allowing riders to hold reins connected to a bit until at least six solid months of lunge lessons and/or no stirrup work. I know this seems a bit draconian these days, but I am so very grateful for my first torturous year of no-stirrups no-reins lessons - 40-odd years later it's still having an effect. I'm just as vulnerable as anyone else, but I never feel panicked or tense when things start to go amiss.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I've never thought of a "grab strap" as something that should be used all the time. Its as the name says: A strap that can be grabbed if needed, rather than the horses mane or mouth, during those "oh sh*t" moments. I agree that to be holding it all the time would be detrimental to the horse because it stops the "flowing motion" of your arms. I would not use it on every horse either - only those I expected to be difficult.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Eh, I don't really care one way or the other. No harm, no foul to me if you want to use it. I briefly tried it when I was really struggling with the extended trot, but it was too disrupting for me.

I do know of a former olympic medalist who would use it to help anchor herself down in the extended trot.

And I see people using them to carry their saddles around, but I would be afraid of dropping or scratching the saddle - as either I am freakishly proportioned or have a super huge saddle - because if I lug my saddle around by the grab strap it is practically touching the ground. Not to mention stressing the dee rings attachment to the saddle.

It is very useful for tying up reins when longing. It also allws the student to use it to pull themselves in the saddle at sitting trot on the longe. It saves the pommel from scrabbling fingers.

As a "bucking strap" I've never found it useful, as I'm too busy coping to grab onto it, and I find it doesn't give me the latitude to use my hands as I need to in one "those" situations.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I ride with a neck strap all the time. I originally started using one for jumping but I found that it can be very helpful on the flat. I like the neck strap more than the
    "bucking strap" because it sits further up the neck and it doesn't put your hands in your lap.
    What Bogie said. I use it on all my young horses as an additional way to signal whoa without always pulling on their mouths. Also, a nice strong stirrup leather around the neck is particularly great for when those deer jump out at you on the trail!

2 members found this post helpful.

I always have a Hail Mary strap on the saddle when I'm working with younger riders. Most of them just aren't independent/strong enough to keep their balance all the time and they feel more secure if they know there is something to grab onto. Of course, around them it is always a grab strap! haha I try not to scare them off at the beginning!

On my own mare I've recently started using a neck strap. She is really green to jumping and I'd much rather grab the strap than her mouth! Plus she can do some really impressive spook/spins on the trail, and it's a long way home if I come off!

I use one for longe lessons, and I'm too dang lazy to take it off in between lunge lessons. I have had it come in handy during a solid temper tantrum from my gelding, though...

I don't have much to add, except to throw a few novelty products into the mix.

The RS-Tor (pronounced "Arrestor") basically tries to overcome the position problems caused by an oh cr*p strap. I would love to see this gadget in person, but it's only sold in Britain.
    http://www.rstor.co.uk/
    Better picture of it here, and they make another one with longer extensions for jumping:
    http://www.rstor.co.uk/2013-04-29-13...ssage-flatwork

And for neck strap fans, that's not an item I would have ever thought to "improve"...but somebody did it. I actually want one of these, just not enough to pay $40 for it! The Shires Tapestry Neck Strap:
    http://www.spursuader.com/neckstrap.html
    http://www.retiredracehorseblog.com/...ry-neck-strap/
    Last edited by jn4jenny; May. 5, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

I use one with clasps instead of buckles. It comes in handy every once and awhile.