The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best treatment/prevention of sunburn?

My mare has a half bald face and pink nose, she only turns out at night but somehow she still burns. I've used sunscreen my next venture will probably be a full coverage fly mask.

Any suggestions on what works best?

1 members found this post helpful.

Desitin for treatment.

1 members found this post helpful.

Long nose fly mask. I had a horse who didn't have a lot of white - just a moderate width blaze/snip - but he had very fine summer hair and his blaze would burn right up to the bottom of his normal flymask. I'm sure he'd have burned up to his eyes without the mask. I used zinc ointment on him to soothe and protect.

Then I got him a long nose fly mask and WOW! did it make a huge difference for him. No more zinc ointment. The one I got wasn't as long as the Crusader, it ended about a finger's width above his nostrils, but it provided enough shade that his snip didn't burn. Some horses find the long Crusader annoying, but it's easy enough to make it a bit shorter if you find that's the case.

Some horses can also be "photosensitized" or rendered more likely to burn by ingesting certain plants, clover being one of them.
    Click here before you buy.

For treatment calendula cream. Prevention any sunscreen or zinc oxide and a long fly maak.

For my mare I use a long nose Cashel fly mask and then I slather her pink nose with a super high SPF ( I can't remember the strength) that is waterproof and made for children so it's for more sensitive skin. Since I board, I put it on her each night thickly and it lasts through the next day.

Second the Crussader Long nose fly mask. Or Desitin if they won't keep the mask on.

Wear gloves though... the base is cod liver oil and will make your hands reek. It took me a couple days to figure out why my hands stunk like fish.

I use Copperton Sport with an SPF around 50. Also the Cashel long nose fly mask. Although he lost 2 of them last year, so I may try to go with just the Coppertone.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    I use Copperton Sport with an SPF around 50. Also the Cashel long nose fly mask. Although he lost 2 of them last year, so I may try to go with just the Coppertone.
    Did you get the one with ears? Try the one without ears. Even if you just cut the ears off an existing one. For some reason, a lot of horses seem to be able to houdini out of any mask with ears on it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I use people sunscreen in the spray/mist-type bottle with my Ap. It is the easiest to apply, just spray, and my horse doesn't mind it. And it is relatively cheap. Plus my vet is the one who recommended it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My pony sunscreen. It's a powder & it lasts. Application is easy. Expensive, but worth it!