The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long does it take for Previcox to leave a horse's system?

I was thinking of putting my horse on Previcox. How long does it take for the drug to leave a horse's system? The vet tech I talked to said "a long time" but I've also heard a few days.

Good question - I was wondering the same thing. My mare just stopped taking it three days ago and she's still moving fine - so I'm wondering if it's still somewhat in her system or she really is better. I'm going to be seeing my vets this weekend so i plan on talking to them. I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

The USEF no-two-NSAIDS rule says that you'd have to stop using it 3 days before showing. Based on that, I'd guess less than 3 days.

Not necessarily…three days may indicate the amount of time it takes to achieve a level of drug in the horse's system that is permissible for competition purposes which is not always "zero".
    friend of bar*ka

Hmmm apparently according to some sites, complete withdrawal is 26 days. That IS a long time. Now, for how long it tests, it didn't say. In Canada I can't show on it at all but fortunately I'm not overly concerned about showing.

I'm also in Canada and had to wean my horse off Previcox and try something else legal for showing.

My vet looked into it, and apparently the racing guidelines are about 2 weeks (but again, that's just to get to an "acceptable level" in the system), and he said to give it a month to be sure (for zero levels for show testing).

Obviously that makes it totally unsuitable for any horse you plan on showing as the effects aren't going to last for the whole month you have to be off it before the show, plus you'll likely be showing more often than every 2 months!

I'm now trying him on the Ichon and noticing results already, half way through the loading dose. Completely legal for showing in Canada.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Depends on what you mean by "leave the system". Typically a drug will drop below therapeutic levels within 1 half life, which is how dosing intervals are decided. A half life is a number (expressed in minutes, hours, or days) given after experimentation with lots of subjects when an average number of animals will clear 50% of a drug from their plasma. A drug is usually thought to be below even remotely effective levels or functionally "gone" in five half lives. But if you're talking "no detectable trace of the drug" that would depend on the animal's individual metabolism, the persistence of the drug in fat and body tissues, and the sensitivity of the test being used to detect the drug.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

For what it is worth, I take my mare off of Previcox for 3 days each month. Read other COTH'rs comments on use of the product, which were confirmed by my vet. To maintain effectiveness of the drug the horse must be taken off for at least 3days out of 30+ days. It is easier for me to track it monthly. She does show more discomfort on the 3rd day, but she is 34 with arthritis with some remodeling of her knees and hocks.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    For what it is worth, I take my mare off of Previcox for 3 days each month. Read other COTH'rs comments on use of the product, which were confirmed by my vet. To maintain effectiveness of the drug the horse must be taken off for at least 3days out of 30+ days. It is easier for me to track it monthly. She does show more discomfort on the 3rd day, but she is 34 with arthritis with some remodeling of her knees and hocks.
    I've heard conflicting things about the withdrawal thing; some vets say do it absolutely, some equally good ones in the same area have never heard ot it. I do know one thing--I've got at least 3 Senior horses who would no longer be alive without it, and another whose quality of life took a tremendous positive leap within a day of going on it. Nobody goes off their feed on it, either!

What it the rationale for the 3-days-per-month drug holiday? I'm all for minimizing the use of NSAIDs, but wonder why this regimen, exactly?
    Click here before you buy.

Hi Delta, there was a thread last year or possibly earlier where one of the vets who post on the board mentioned taking the horse off of Previcox periodically. Then other posters said their vets said the same. So I checked with my vet, who also agreed. IIRC, the loss of effectiveness is based on the individual.
    At that time I noticed my mare did not look as comfortable after being on Previcox for 6+ straight months as she was in the first few months. We agreed to put her on a monthly cycle and she has a few "bad" days which are offset by 25+ good days. He has seen her at least twice since then and is content with her current condition. As am I, based on her age and physical challenges.

He is due this Friday for spring shots, teeth and to be "my 2nd set of eyes" on the horses. Will ask him again and let you know his comments.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Delta- per the vet, horses can/will build up resistance to the drug. So periodic breaks help to maintain the drug's effectiveness. Similar to how my system reacts to Benadryl, after a week or so it has as much effect as candy.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

What are the long-term effects of the drug? My husband's neuro horse has been on it for 8 months or so (with no withdrawal days) and seems to be doing fine, but I wonder if there are any negative effects of being on it for so long?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    What are the long-term effects of the drug? My husband's neuro horse has been on it for 8 months or so (with no withdrawal days) and seems to be doing fine, but I wonder if there are any negative effects of being on it for so long?
    Best to speak with your vet, especially with a horse with neuro problems.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Best to speak with your vet, especially with a horse with neuro problems.
    Horse is under vet's care and the vet was the one who prescribed Previcox. I was just wondering if anyone had any anectodes to share vs. what the vets say.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Firocoxib is a permitted drug according to the usef website, within certain parameters.

Firocoxib is a permitted drug according to the usef website, within certain parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    I'd say that's a big-assed unknown. Not only are you using the dog version of the drug (which SHOULD behave the same as the horse version, but.....) but you're also dealing with a totally off-label dosing schedule. COX-2 inhibitors are also (fairly, in the grand scheme of things) new to the market, so you can *try* to extrapolate the human data, but horses are so very different, it's really pretty irrelevant.

So, I suppose, with a neuro horse you do what you do to keep him happy without any real worry about potential side effects, because really? What else can you do? Do what you can until it doesn't work anymore and then put him down or readdress the issues in another way.