The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Not to make light of a horrid situation...

But I was just chatting with my sister who lives in Northern VA yesterday. My nephew has just gone back on available status. He's handsome, smart, and works for a private security firm. My sister says he comments that the women he's met don't understand his conservative leanings regarding gun control.

I told her he needs to meet women in the Virginia horse community.

But back to the topic, hope they do catch these two legged animals.
    what, are you pimping him out?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Don't let your guard down yet. I have heard that there has been another attack on another horse. I cannot find hard proof of it anywhere. It's only rumor for now and I heard that they are not commenting or putting it on the news since they are investigating. They may also be trying to avoid Copycats. This is pretty scary and I worry for my horses. They are boarded at our neighbors. So close, and yet too far to really be able to do much more.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    Don't let your guard down yet. I have heard that there has been another attack on another horse. I cannot find hard proof of it anywhere. It's only rumor for now and I heard that they are not commenting or putting it on the news since they are investigating. They may also be trying to avoid Copycats. This is pretty scary and I worry for my horses. They are boarded at our neighbors. So close, and yet too far to really be able to do much more.
    I heard the same rumor, from a very reliable source (who did specify it was UNconfirmed).
    Equus Keepus Brokus

The police fb post, in its comments, has someone reporting another dead horse, but then also the dead horse's owner commenting that it was not a head trauma, very elderly horse, probably aneurysm, and the police comment that they do not have any additional reports.

Now, that doesn't mean something didn't happen somewhere else, or that it hasn't been reported yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    The police fb post, in its comments, has someone reporting another dead horse, but then also the dead horse's owner commenting that it was not a head trauma, very elderly horse, probably aneurysm, and the police comment that they do not have any additional reports.
    I saw those comments, but that was referring to something that happened before the unconfirmed 2nd incident, which was said to have happened Friday night.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I saw those comments, but that was referring to something that happened before the unconfirmed 2nd incident, which was said to have happened Friday night.
    Gotcha. Yuck. As someone whose animals have been attacked by a creepy loser who broke into a locked barn repeatedly, I hope these scumbags pick the wrong property to head toward next time.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what, are you pimping him out?!

Nope, just suggesting where he might find like minds.
    He really needs to start riding again.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

*sigh* that shotgun might have to go a little higher on the list of priorities.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    There was probably not a chapter in the vet book on axes, so that's why it was classified as an "accident". I don't want to get started on my horrible experiences with "Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center" and their lack of ability to see the obvious!!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

I'm decidedly unconvinced. Given the initial reports and all. Maybe I've watched too many crime shows and conspiracy movies but I'm in the whiskey tango foxtrot camp. :/
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

I talked to the vet who was called to the farm upon discovery of the horses. She said both horses had very similar, deep wounds to their heads, consistent to what an axe blow to the head would probably look like (no, she's never seen an axe wound to a horse's head, but I could "get the picture" just fine).

She also said investigators were extremely thorough in combing through the entire pasture, and I'm not seeing any mention of a bloody fence, tree, etc. consistent to something a horse would run into.

And what are the odds of two horses dealing the same, deep, axe-like wounds to each other during a skirmish? And both kicking each other in the head in the same manner to cause similar wounds? Then both running off with one breaking its neck, and the other breaking its leg in the process? Not likely, IMO.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

What if one of them spooked in the dark and collided full speed with the other? In a massive panicked scramble to get up, with hooves flying, it very easily could have broken the mare's neck, and caused severe lacerations. Many moons ago I knew a gelding that got a leg in a fence and worked himself up some much struggling he broke his own neck.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Something doesn't add up in my book!
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

There have been a ton of bear sightings in the area and I have seen the result of a horses reaction to a bear and it ain't pretty. Possibly a bear entered the field and spooked the heck out of them causing them to go ballistic?
    Not at all trying to detract from the fact that the findings from the necropsy vs the descriptions from people who saw the horses are strange but horses do crazy things and are so capable (as we all know) of hurting themselves in ways we will never understand.
    For example the lady I work for took her horse to a clinic Friday and on the way home he gashed his head mighty well on something in the trailer. Cut him to the bone. Searched the trailer for something he could have hit himself on and nothing....they are accident prone animals and really if this was an accident it doesn't surprise me. I saw a horse jump over an almost 6' coral fence because of a bear in the woods once...he hurt himself very bad and was very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    What if one of them spooked in the dark and collided full speed with the other? In a massive panicked scramble to get up, with hooves flying, it very easily could have broken the mare's neck, and caused severe lacerations. Many moons ago I knew a gelding that got a leg in a fence and worked himself up some much struggling he broke his own neck.
    Precisely what happened to some horses owned by freinds during the midwest flooding in the early 90's. Mares moved to unfamiliar pastures spooked during the night and collided. They lost several.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Here is the latest comment by the attending vet (the one who was called to the farm upon discovery of the horses) posted on the Prince William Co. Police's FB page about this "accident":

"The official cause of death is INCONCLUSIVE. The examining veteinarian at EMC could not confirm or deny that the injuries were caused by intentional malicious wounding or occured by accident - but I sure wonder how it is that 2 horses 1/4 mile away from each other in the same field are found with similarly shaped head wounds not near any trees or rocks without dirt or bark or metal fragements or broken fence or parked tractors or other dangerous surroundings without even any skid marlks etc are being ROUTINELY DISMISSED MY THE PWC POLICE DEPARTMENT as accidental deaths BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CLUES OR LEADS TO FOLLOW.... Please stay vigilant over your own horses!"

LINK:
    https://www.facebook.com/pwcpd/posts...al_comments=22
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    There have been a ton of bear sightings in the area and I have seen the result of a horses reaction to a bear and it ain't pretty. Possibly a bear entered the field and spooked the heck out of them causing them to go ballistic?
    Not at all trying to detract from the fact that the findings from the necropsy vs the descriptions from people who saw the horses are strange but horses do crazy things and are so capable (as we all know) of hurting themselves in ways we will never understand.
    For example the lady I work for took her horse to a clinic Friday and on the way home he gashed his head mighty well on something in the trailer. Cut him to the bone. Searched the trailer for something he could have hit himself on and nothing....they are accident prone animals and really if this was an accident it doesn't surprise me. I saw a horse jump over an almost 6' coral fence because of a bear in the woods once...he hurt himself very bad and was very lucky.
    Nokesville is "semi-rural"/on the edge of suburbia in Northern VA/DC...and bears would be rare.

IF this was a malicious event, I'm sure we'll find out soon as those who do this sort of thing repeat (thus the arrest in the Herdon cases).

I truly HOPE it was accidendental. If it really is with the wounds described and no "objects" within the pasture to create such head trauma...it's about the freakiest thing I've ever heard about.

I can understand 2 breeding stallions getting out or in a field with eachother and mares around in Spring and brutalizing eachother to the death...but not horses like these.

Doesn't sit right with me either with many years with horses (new horse in, herd dynamics, stallions, etc).

BUT, if there is no "scent" for investigators to follow, where can they go. Sadly it is what it is. We many never know, unless there is another episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Totally not buying it.

"Sgt. Kim Chinn said the mare had a broken neck and the gelding other injuries consistent with the horses being spooked and injuring themselves"

No head gash? Both brand new to the property? Both severely dominant and hated each other? Extremely dangerous property, like with backhoes and cranes in the field?

"A human being doesn't have the strength to break a horse's neck," she said."

After being severely injured, with a head injury, however, a running horse can flip, breaking its neck.

Horses kicking each other would be butt to butt, not kicking each other in the head. Were the rumors of head injuries, just rumors?
    Exactly. Head injuries that wind up fatal are very rare in horses that are fighting. Mostly ass-first (except in the case of stallions which these horse were not). If there were no objects in the field -- even if they freaked about something -- on which to create such catastrophic injuries, it just doesn't add up.