The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The real question to ask is "What the heck is anyone going to about this?".
    Carry a shotgun to do bed checks?

but seriously, folks, if they carry axes to kill horses, they might not worry too much popping an owner in the head with one. I don't want to see any of yours names in the headlines!

1 members found this post helpful.

The real question to ask is "What the heck is anyone going to do about this?".
    A pot of strong coffee.
    Night vision equipment.
    Weapon and ammunition.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

15 members found this post helpful.

The real question to ask is "What the heck is anyone going to do about this?".
    There is a pretty strong investigation going on.... we have to lean on our law enforcement resources and be smart at home.
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    K, this is my area. WTF? Seriously?
    I mean...within minutes of where my horse is. So um. Do I panic now or wait?
    I can give you more insight tomorrow. Chey is fine. Regardless of the reasons why things happened there.... it would be pretty hard pressed to happen here for numerous reasons. Set up and animals are completely different, but if something does happen I'd love to try out the new gun I got today! BTW, I've been in the barn all evening up until about 10 minutes ago.... all is fine on the home-front! Time for a little nap before showing tomorrow...
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

Any more news? I'm about 8 miles from Nokesville and Vint Hill Road.

The owners must be devasated. I'm not sure if I would ever be the same after me and my horses falling victim to such senseless and sick behavior. Makes me want to vomit.

I would suggest baby monitors for the barn.
    You would be surprised what they can pick up. Mine will pu outside noises if barn doors are open.
    I can't even begin to imagine the fear you guys must be experiencing.
    I do hope they go to the 'wrong'farm. How sick, ack.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

2 members found this post helpful.

Cameras from Radio shack are not that expensive. There are also wildlife cameras.

There are also solar lights that you can get. Make the biggest fuss you can. Offer a reward and make posters to put at all the convenience stores and post offices in the area.

I heard about it on WTOP this morning.

There are stalls in Marshall if anyone needs to leave.

PM me if you want.

Hope Karma gets them.

This kind of savagery is usually revenge-motivated; often, a disgruntled former employee. The fact that they're keeping it quiet while investigating means it probably wasn't random. Keep alert though, everyone!

4 members found this post helpful.

I know the farm and the owners and I am sure they are just devastated. I hope this is an isolated incident and that they figure out who did this. What a nightmare.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...149229655.html

I don't know if anyone was found responsible for this. But I do recall a youth was charged in the other incident at Frying Pan Park involving other animals.

Nevermind. Same kid was alleged to have done both.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/virginia/a...Animal-Attacks

I tell you if they try it again, I hope the horse owner makes them sorry they ever even thought about it!
    Be careful folks. I seriously if I was a barn owner I would be getting Motion sensor lights, Alarms, Video cameras, You name it!.
    MAn its awful what is happening more and more!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Now that's it's all over the news and they actually printed the farm name and address at NBC Washington.com I can say it happened at 4 Winds Farms. They are a large lesson and sales barn. The horses killed were lesson/sale horses. Very nice horses from what I understand. They closed the barn yesterday for the police to do their thing but they opened back up today for their lessons. The sick person or persons will be found, I have no doubt. The horse people of Nokesville are pulling together. The calling tree was working overtime yesterday notifying every barn that there is a killer in our midst. Someone knows something and it will come out.

I cannot imagine what it is like to have horses in that area.

I want to say one thing about the suspects. Killing animals + starting fires (however small)=serial killers. This may be random or revenge but this could very well be a serial killer in the making. I would take this seriously and consider the crime one step below killing a human. I have no doubt that law enforcement is looking at this seriously knowing full well what these people are capable of.

Please take care of yourselves and your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball56 View Post
    The horse people of Nokesville are pulling together. The calling tree was working overtime yesterday notifying every barn that there is a killer in our midst. Someone knows something and it will come out.
    Well, they obviously didn't notify EVERY barn in Nokesville, as this is the first I have heard of it.

I wish they HAD notified me, but luckily mine are all fine. Luckily I am on the other side of 28, and you can't tell from the road that there are horses here.

I am not sure what good motion sensors, cameras, etc would do when the horses are turned out in a large pasture.

I certainly hope they find, and cofine, the culprit soon.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Well, they obviously didn't notify EVERY barn in Nokesville, as this is the first I have heard of it..
    Sorry, I should have clarified it was the horse owners of Nokesville that did the calling. I called everyone I know there after I heard about it and verified it and told them to call everyone they knew and so on and so forth. I personally told people at 4 different barns who hadn't heard a thing. Everyone was grateful for the information as they all had horses out in pastures there. Horse people are a pretty close knit group, if I knew you I would have called you!

Baby monitors might help with barn area or cameras but weren't the horses in the pastures - how can you monitor a pasture when you think your animals are safe. who are these sick b******s. I just cannot imagine seeing that kind of discovery My heart goes out the owners and barn staff. Seriously dont people have something better to do w/ their lives. Am just sickened to hear of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball56 View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified it was the horse owners of Nokesville that did the calling. I called everyone I know there after I heard about it and verified it and told them to call everyone they knew and so on and so forth. I personally told people at 4 different barns who hadn't heard a thing. Everyone was grateful for the information as they all had horses out in pastures there. Horse people are a pretty close knit group, if I knew you I would have called you!
    It's OK, not your fault you didn't have my number, and I wasn't on the tree you triggered.

I just wish they HAD tried to contact us all.

I get frequent emails from the Nokesville Horse Society. You would have thought they would send out something in a case like this!

I was both grateful and horrified to see it here.

Also, I searched for more information, and foud that THIS thread was the most complete source.
    THANKS.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet - you might want to consider joining the VAHorses email list group. It's not that busy anymore since a Facebook page was formed, but it was announced on the email list group and discussed a bit. Here's the link:
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/V...guid=295756454

If you are a Facebooker, here's the link for the VA Horses FB page, although I don't know if you can see it since the creators made it a "closed" group. However, if you want to join it, I'll be happy to find out how and "invite" you if just a member (vs. an admin) can do so:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/VAHorses/?fref=ts

There's also the Prince William Co Police Dept's FB page with info on this as well:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pwcpd?fref=ts

All that said, I do find that COTH does a great job of being current with happenings in the horse world.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

My farm is pretty well hidden, on a dead end and surrounded by a "moat". Lucky for me, one of my stallions who vocalizes when someone shows up on the farm or something is amiss and he's right by my house. So it would be very hard for something to go undetected here or escape.

I'm not in that immediate area. Though too close for comfort.

That said, for those of you who are in that area, I have a nightscope, if anyone wants to borrow it. Just pm or email me.

Stay safe.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Carry a shotgun to do bed checks?

but seriously, folks, if they carry axes to kill horses, they might not worry too much popping an owner in the head with one. I don't want to see any of yours names in the headlines!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    A pot of strong coffee.
    Night vision equipment.
    Weapon and ammunition.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    I can give you more insight tomorrow. Chey is fine. Regardless of the reasons why things happened there.... it would be pretty hard pressed to happen here for numerous reasons. Set up and animals are completely different, but if something does happen I'd love to try out the new gun I got today! BTW, I've been in the barn all evening up until about 10 minutes ago.... all is fine on the home-front! Time for a little nap before showing tomorrow...
    Not to make light of a horrid situation...

But I was just chatting with my sister who lives in Northern VA yesterday. My nephew has just gone back on available status. He's handsome, smart, and works for a private security firm. My sister says he comments that the women he's met don't understand his conservative leanings regarding gun control.

I told her he needs to meet women in the Virginia horse community.

But back to the topic, hope they do catch these two legged animals.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes