The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Healing Time for a Pelvic Injury

Hello, All,

On Monday I broke a bone in my pelvis, the inferior pubic bone, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferior_pubic_ramus). I haven't received an estimated time to get back to in saddle and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or a similar type of injury and how long it took you to recover. Also, did you do particular activities that sped up/slowed your recovery?

Thanks.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I have no idea about recovery time, but it sounds uncomfortable. I just wanted to send wishes for you to get well soon.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you seen an orthopaedic surgeon? If not I would suggest it.

i had bilateral fractures in my SI joints in my pelvis this past fall (kinda tailbone areaish) I was off a horse for 6 months. They suggested yoga and Pilates for me as my rehab and Pilates has helped so very much. I highly recommended it.

Take the time to heal properly. Really do take it easy and rest as you can obviously not put a cast there! I waited and its paid off. Make sure you get your calcium and magnesium into you.

Best wishes for a quick and speedy recovery, the pain is unreal.
    Meet me at the Rainbow Bridge Harley
    May 21, 2004 - February 28, 2006

It was more than three months before I was riding again (maybe closer to four?) I had fractures both in the front and back of the ring. Mine wasn't diagnosed for 8 weeks, and in that time I would try to ride, but it hurt too much. Once I did start riding, I had to mount from the off-side to keep from prying on the fracture, and have someone catch me and slide me down or use a mounting block when dismounting. I also disrupted/"dislocated" my SI joints, which were an issue a lot longer than the fractures. See a Sports Medicine Ortho, and also a sports medicine PT. They'll be the best choices to get you riding ASAP. Hang in there!

Thank you for the information. I've seen the orthopedic surgeon once while in the hospital and I'm doing a follow up appointment in a week or so at his office. I'm also supposed to be starting physical therapy this week, so we will see how it goes. Im also going to try the suggestions about getting a sports medicine PT and making sure I get enough calcium and magnesium.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I broke my pelvis a few years ago (forget the bone name, but the front right one!), and it took me six months before I was back in the saddle. Of course, I got tossed while mounting my mare that very first time back in the saddle, so had to add another 3 months to that for a grand total of 9 months haha. I've had my fair share of injuries but the pelvis was definitely the most inconvenient for riding, so I feel your pain. In my particular case I found that rest was the best thing for the pelvis, more so than PT but that was just my experience.