The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile WHAT To Look For Before You Step Over That Threshold....

Look carefully before you step over the threshold :
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps844446b1.jpg
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps473cfb2a.jpg

Been noticing a lot of mice in the barn lately and was actually headed to the house to get the mouse bait and was going to place a bait station out there to take care of them. I think I'll wait a little bit before I do that now.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

2 members found this post helpful.

Good camoflage!

Yeah, let the wee reptile do his job and nom down on those mousies
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

As long as it doesn't rattle, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    As long as it doesn't rattle, be my guest.
    No rattles...just a little king snake...they are known to kill rattlers actually. He's welcome to stay as long as he stays out of the chicken house.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Yes, although your little friend gives me heart attacks, he will (and looks like he already has) do a good job getting rid of the mice.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank God you're so sensible about it. I was so afraid this was going to be yet another thread on obliterating the poor, extremely useful, things simply due to unreasonable human fear issues.

4 members found this post helpful.

that's a lumpy looking snake---hard at work already i guess.

3 members found this post helpful.

I "studied" the first photo and did NOT see him. I did wonder why you put metal trim on top of the step. Good thing I don't live in venemous snake country, I'd be toast.

Egads! That would make my heart race! I am glad you're going to let him take care of your mouse issue instead of bait traps. I love nature!

Sizable soul!
    Taking it day by day!

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I "studied" the first photo and did NOT see him. I did wonder why you put metal trim on top of the step. Good thing I don't live in venemous snake country, I'd be toast.
    Me, too!

Thanks for the second picture. I always like to see a good lookin' snake.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. We had a huge resident black snake and I opened the feed door one day and thats exactly where he was. It scared the crap out of me, I almost stepped on him!

But if he does go into the chicken house?

One of my resident black snakes has visited the chicken house for the last two days. Hey sweetie, good to see you again, how was your winter?
    I left one egg for her.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. We had a huge resident black snake and I opened the feed door one day and thats exactly where he was. It scared the crap out of me, I almost stepped on him!
    Happened to me at the entrance gate to the garden, but it was one of the largest rattlers we have ever seen.

Was - Not - Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    that's a lumpy looking snake---hard at work already i guess.
    That's just how they move when they can't move side to side....his muscles contract and then stretch to move forward on his belly.

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    But if he does go into the chicken house?

One of my resident black snakes has visited the chicken house for the last two days. Hey sweetie, good to see you again, how was your winter?
    I left one egg for her.
    If he ends up in the chicken house he will get relocated. I've already got another barn with a mouse problem lined up to move him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Happened to me at the entrance gate to the garden, but it was one of the largest rattlers we have ever seen.

Was - Not - Funny.
    There is nothing funny about rattle snakes....they come on my property they get dead, not relocated or tolerated.

I moved to the gulf coast (buying a place in the country in August) and I haven't seen a single snake, other than those that scatter when I mow my fields. I really wonder if I'm simply not seeing them. I haven't seen any evidence of rodents in my barn, but I attributed that to the "openness" of it (stall walls are only 5-7' high, so not a lot of hiding places). But I must now assume I've got some ginormous snake in there doing their job.

Love king snakes! They are my favorite. Unfortunately, my lab puppy just loves to catch them. I just keep hoping that the brothers and sisters are hiding from him.

I like snakes but we don't have scary ones around my area, that I know of. Rattlers in the hills, I've heard....