The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Helping friend sell horse - how much to charge?

I am helping a friend with the sale of a horse and she keeps asking me how much i will charge. Shoul i go with a set fee or a percentage? Horse will probably sell between $1200 and $2500
    I am taking sale pictures and videos , writing the ads, placing the ads and helping to show the horse. What's the going "good guy" rate?
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

If you are an ammy and want to stay that way the rate is zero. Otherwise, I would go with a set fee since the estimated price is pretty low.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
    Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

for that price?

let her take you out for dinner.

To me that falls under 'friend services', I don't charge, but food and drink is always welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

3 members found this post helpful.

Here, if you broker the sale of a horse, friend or not, generally the charge is 10%.
    Even for a friend, if you are providing a service, it is ok to charge for it.
    You can waive it if you want, of course.

I have heard that some of the higher end professionals are charging 15%.

If you are selling your horse thru a trainer and the buyer is also working thru a trainer, it is customary for the seller to pay and both trainers to share 1/2 and 1/2 any commission.

Assembling the pictures and videos would not be a huge investment (time or cost); assuming this was my friend and I could get it done in 3-4 hours or less, I'd just do it as a favor. Or like someone else said, She could take you out for dinner or to the movies or something.

But, do think hard about showing the horse to buyers --that part of the project has potential to be a huge time-suck and source of tension. Talk through exactly how that is going to work so there are no hidden expectations on either side.
    Regardless if it's a flat fee or % of sale price, it will not feel like adequate compensation if you're still being asked to show him to buyers 8 mos from now. Or if the owner had a perfectly good buyer for $1,200 but refuses because she wants $1,500 and not a penny less g-dammit! What would happen if she decides to lease the horse instead of sell? How many days a week are you available to show the horse? Is it a long commute for you to get to the barn-- what would be your fuel cost? ....Just stuff that's worth discussing in advance.