The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is it just me or did the Rolex course look more like a one star vs the badminton course? Not that I could ride either one of them! Lol! I know Rolex may have been softer since its not a games year, but that would make you think Badminton may be scaled down.....

Actually Xcatheart, many of the riders have described Badminton this year as a bit disappointing because it is 'three star with a couple of four star fences'; now, I'm not there, I'm watching at home, but it does seem there are a lot of clears in the time. So, arguably this is smaller than usual

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Clark Montgomery is riding Universe. What is with Loughan Glen? What do we know about Universe?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Clark Montgomery is riding Universe. What is with Loughan Glen? What do we know about Universe?
    Loughan Glen had minor surgery - tie-forward I think.

Our US contingent all rode GREAT! Good for them. I got to see Clark and Tiana, and what great trips around a tough course. Also happy for Rebecca Howard. Of course, it will be a photo finish tomorrow with the Big 3 all still in contention. I had to refresh a million times and re-start my computer, but I was able to watch the BBC coverage for a couple of hours. So exciting!!

Can someone tell me the abbreviations for XC faults? What is the difference between a Z, an FZ, an HZ, and an RZ?

They were originally showing a B for the rider that was pulled up (on the exhausted horse).
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

What happened with Mary King? Two weeks in a row not finishing has to be disappointing.

According to the radio, I was listening on the way back from a horse show, she was at one of the complexes where you jump a corner out, and it was an awkward sort of jump of some kind and there was a question whether she went between the flags or over the white flag or to the side of the white flag or knocked it down while attempting it or something. Anyhow when they landed she went on and did not represent and they pulled her up (eliminated).
    This was totally from the radio -- commentators said the jump judge said she did not go between the flags at that obstacle.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    According to the radio, I was listening on the way back from a horse show, she was at one of the complexes where you jump a corner out, and it was an awkward sort of jump of some kind and there was a question whether she went between the flags or over the white flag or to the side of the white flag or knocked it down while attempting it or something. Anyhow when they landed she went on and did not represent and they pulled her up (eliminated).
    This was totally from the radio -- commentators said the jump judge said she did not go between the flags at that obstacle.
    I was watching live. It was at the corners where many riders took out the flag or had a runout. She jumped it but the flag was between the horse's front legs so his shoulder was NOT inside the flag. She did carry on but the GJ pulled her up several fences later.

They must've been deciding if she cleared or not because they let her continue for a good bit.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Brilliant riding by Clark I thought! We got to see a lot of him I think in part because of Bettina Hoy's fall (that was a little scary) so they showed him more.

Tiana looked great (I've always loved that horse), survived a boot/wrap coming off and flapping around.

Hardly showed Colleen, but thrilled for her!

I wish the rider who was pulled up had pulled himself up instead, there was no doubt it was going to end badly. I think when he had that runout they expected him to call it a day (I sure did) and when he didn't right after that they had the red flag. What a lovely honest horse he was on.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Default Colleen's ride

I watched Colleen go out of the start box and stayed in the main arena to watch her on the big screen. Unfortunately Apollo was out on course and because he was in 2nd place, they only showed his round. I can't believe the rotten luck she has. They did keep announcing her clear over fences but it would have been so nice if her round was broadcast like everyone else's.

Rant over.

Mary from western NYj

City of delusion in the state of total denial

What a brilliant weekend this has been for horse sport. I don't know much about eventing, but I think if I were the press corps for Badminton, I would be jumping up and down and dancing about the showdown that tomorrow could turn into. Any way you go it'll be exciting- Michael Jung wins, upsetting an unprecedented two-rider bid for the Grand Slam! Michael Jung pulls a rail, Jock Paget wins, upsetting same AND beating Michael Jung! Michael Jung and Jock Paget both pull rails, WFP or AN go clean, Grand Slam!

I am anticipating limited productivity in class tomorrow.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post

I wish the rider who was pulled up had pulled himself up instead, there was no doubt it was going to end badly. I think when he had that runout they expected him to call it a day (I sure did) and when he didn't right after that they had the red flag. What a lovely honest horse he was on.
    Super honest and what a trier. He was exhausted, glad they stopped him.
    Cotton would fight.

Default now, THAT'S how you recover ...

Remember the discussion we had about how quickly riders need to recover from slipping the reins over a drop? I think Michael Jung gave a lesson on that yesterday. Wow.

(video of his round on EN)
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Super honest and what a trier. He was exhausted, glad they stopped him.
    Which pair are you referring to?
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org