The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pull over! There's a cat who needs some petting!

I like "hooking up" with random cats.

I will cross a street to pet a cat.

I have been known to get off a horse in order to pet a cat.

I don't ask or care who the cat is. If it's friendly enough that it lets me pet it, I'm there.

I don't know if I have ever gone so far as to put down something I was carrying in order to pet a cat. But you get it: I am fully amenable to having my day interrupted by one of these animals.

To what lengths have you gone just to pet a random cat?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

No titanic lengths to pet but I did stop my car for what I thought was a baby leeda keedee rolling in the dust on the side of the street. Turned out he was an ooold leeda keedee and horribly skinny to boot. After thinking for a couple minutes and looking left and right, I snatched him up and brought him home I had 4 wonderful years with him.

I do love encountering the random cat--I start talking kittytalk to them and when they give me the time of day it always makes me happy

3 members found this post helpful.

Friend and I were at the trailer parking area at a local park tacking up my horse when we heard a cat crying. She came out and was friendly so I stuffed her in the dressing room and called DH to come get her. We rode for about 45 minutes and met DH at trailer to transfer her to crate. Then went out for a longer ride. It was a nice cool day so no roasting kitty in dressing room. I have the best DH.

We had her shots done and the friend found her a really nice home. April was a pretty black cat and very friendly. We are guessing somebody dumped her at the park.

I tried for a repeat at the same parkiing lot this past Saturday but little kitty ran away. Boo
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Nice to hear that other people are going out of their way for cats.

You all know that I don't find stray cats. I want to, but it just doesn't happen. So I never get a long term relationship out of these random hook ups.

But there is something nice about making the "cats depend on the kindness of strangers" thing work out. I think the randomness makes it especially nice for me, maybe for the cats, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

mvp, ya nevva know... keep up those random acts, as I will. You might find a skinny short-tailed, wormy, hypertensive , sweet and fearless old kitteh in need of you!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Nice to hear that other people are going out of their way for cats.

You all know that I don't find stray cats. I want to, but it just doesn't happen. So I never get a long term relationship out of these random hook ups.
    Same here. People talk about stray animals turning up on their doorstep, but that basically never happens to me. Which is okay, I suppose, because we already have an animal packed house.

There is a cat who lives, we assume, in a housing complex near the field where we walk dogs at work. He is just the sweetest, most social black kitty you've ever seen! If we are walking cat-friendly dogs he'll come out of the woods, and just stroll along with us. If the dogs are friendly enough, he will literally rub himself all over them.

I do this too. Always enjoy saying hello to cats who are out and about surveying their domain... they tend to have such an cheerful hospitable look about them. I have fond memories of a barn cat who used to recline on a porch swing at the front of the property and call all visitors over to see her with a loud meow.

I also say hello to strange cats when I've been abroad. A couple of Italian cats come to mind, and at least one French cat who worked as a greeter in a bookstore. Making a connection with the cat citizens (catizens?) of a foreign place makes me feel more at home, for some reason.

I am the kitten magnet. I have caught and vetted about 2 a year for the past 5 years. Thankfully my two main boys are completely cool with random vagrants. I never keep them and I always manage to find them homes. Latest kitten is the little orange who I "try" to rehome but so far haven't found the right spot.

Random kitties? Yes please though if they are long hair I have to be very quick before I start swelling and sneezing.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Yes, love random kitty hook-ups! My favorite are one night stands when I am sleeping on a friends couch and the cats sleeps with me!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

We found several friendly cats when we traveled through Europe--I, too, will cross the street to scritch a kitty. Our B and B in London came with an overly friendly orange tom who took up residence in our room for 5 days. He definitely helped us with our homesickness!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I don't seem to find needy cats on my doorstep either, but I love cats and do a lot of fostering for a rescue near me. I got a call about a kitten on a doorstep nearby, so I went to get it. As it turns out, it wasn't a kitten but an ancient cat so thin it looked like a kitten. I took him to the vet, where it was determined that he was in renal failure, close to septic, very, very thin, and 16 y.o. and named Bruno, based on his microchip, which had never been transferred after the owner had his number disconnected. He now lives with us, eats what he wants, sleeps in a warm bed, and purrs just thinking about getting pets. He will stay here for as long as he has left.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty Tats View Post
    I do this too. Always enjoy saying hello to cats who are out and about surveying their domain... they tend to have such an cheerful hospitable look about them.
    They do!

As often as not, however, you can see a cat trotting along like he has a place to go. It's very Lower Manhattan. The cat might turn his head to look if you call him, but he's got a coffee in one hand, his smartphone in the other and he's purposefully traveling to work. He won't be deterred.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Moving into my new apartment last month, while doing the walk through a kitty showed up on my back porch and I requested that we finish filling out the paper work outside, as I was being demanded to scratch behind kitty's ears. I had no choice!

In college I discovered a kitten underneath a fraternity house (NO place for a little kitty!) and took him home. 3 years later, he has moved with me to 3 different cities and transformed me into a cat person - or rather, an equal opportunity pet owner.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I once stopped the car to free a cat who had his head stuck in a green beans can. He ran away as soon as it was off, does that count?!

Most cats can take or leave people, so I feel very honored when a cat allows me the random rub or two.

My barn's kitty is the best. Loves to chat and stalks me when I'm cleaning up, knowing that it's his turn for grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I once stopped the car to free a cat who had his head stuck in a green beans can. He ran away as soon as it was off, does that count?!
    Oh yes, that was very altruistic. Maybe that cat will "pay it forward."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP, you DO come up with the best topics for discussion! Yes, I always say hello to "leeda keeddees" (love that, BTW) wherever I see them. Have never been adopted by a stray.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

a friend of mine always shakes head when I do this

"You don't get enough at home?" with my three.

I love having barn cats where I ride. It is like having bonus kittehs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3426577857.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	38190

This is a "feral" cat that lived at the resort we stayed at in St Maarten. She slept with us every night and I let her out every morning. We were on the fourth floor and she would run up the stairs ahead of us and always stopped at what would have been our room if we were on the third floor and I had to tell her she had to keep going up. She had been freshly spayed and released as she still had her stitches in place. She was one of my favorite parts of the trip!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3426577805.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	38191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3426577857.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	38190

This is a "feral" cat that lived at the resort we stayed at in St Maarten. She slept with us every night and I let her out every morning. We were on the fourth floor and she would run up the stairs ahead of us and always stopped at what would have been our room if we were on the third floor and I had to tell her she had to keep going up. She had been freshly spayed and released as she still had her stitches in place. She was one of my favorite parts of the trip!