The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What saddle seat size do you ride in?

What saddle seat size do you ride in?

Looking for a new saddle, because (ARGH!) my trainer was right... The AP saddle I love so much exacerbates my right leg curling issue.

I am a non-leggy 5'4" and ride in a 17.5" seat. Yes, I have been described as "a white girl with a booty" from time to time - nothing as dramatic as J.Lo or Kardashian. Since I am looking for a nice used saddle, I would love to hear what size jump saddle size works for others to increase my search options.

(Would love a Black Country Quantum or Ricochet since I know they would work well for my TB, but those don't come up used very often.)

Thanks All for sharing!

It really depends on the style of the saddle. A flatter, more open seat you may be comfortable in a 17".

I'm just under 5'7" and ride in a 17" saddle. I'm a pants size 8/10 (29" waist) if that helps.

1 members found this post helpful.

5'2" and ride in a 17" Schleese. Lets just say one time walking across a parking lot I had a guy stop his car...go 'h*ll no j-lo'....follow me into the store and give me his number. Husband still loves that story...

3 members found this post helpful.

I am 5'5" and ride in an 18 inch saddle. I don't really have much of a booty (I mean it's wide but it doesn't pop..lol). However, I am a bit long from hip to knee so it works very well for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm 5'4" also but have a rather long femur. I ride in an 18" Amerigo monoflap. I could probably get away with a 17.5", but as an eventer I enjoy having a little bit of wiggle room to move around. There's nothing I hate worse than feeling "locked in" to a jump saddle. I love love love my Amerigo. It's super comfy, puts my leg in a great place, and fits my horse beautifully. I'm not sure how your horse is built, but they might be worth looking at. I see the dual flap Amerigo's come up for sale used quite often. My trainer has one as well and it seems to fit everything she puts it on.

I'm like you... 5'4", short legs and a bootie. I'm comfortable and balanced in a 17 or 17.5, depending on the build of the saddle, and never need anything beyond a standard flap (and some of those are still too forward for me). One thing I find *very* important is the twist... too wide and I just can't sit comfortably.

Also sent you a PM.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I'm 5'11.5" w/ NO booty and all my height in my legs - I have a med-deep seat AP that's 16.5 (I can't get my stirrups short enough for jumping in it, alas). I briefly had a fwd flap 17.5 close contact w/ a very flat seat that was perfect. And I've ridden happily in a 17 cc w/ a fwd flap sorta "normal" seat depth. It's kind of weird that my deeper seated one has the smallest seat size - normally it's opposite. Anyway, I'd try +/- the .5 sizes from what you have.

Slim 5'8" and have a 17.5" Antares and Bates, both standard flaps, both of which fit me quite well. Though when I was fitted to both saddles (years apart), both reps had me try out the long and forward flaps, but ultimately decided on standard.

I'm 5'5, and wear a size 26 jean. I ride in a 17" CWD with a forward flap. I don't have terribly long legs, but my leg length seems to be in my femur.

5'1 in a 16.5 shallow saddle or 17 if it is a bit deeper.

5'2" with plenty of badunkadonk. My friends have called me A.Lo before (not cool at all). My Tad Coffin A5G is a 17" with the appropriate 4 fingers behind, my County Stabilizer is a 16.5 with the appropriate 4 fingers behind. It also depends where the center of balance is in the saddle.
    "As you get older, the hardest thing about riding is the ground"- anonymous

5'9 1/4" sorta kinda have an ass (but I'm pudgy right now!!!) and long hip to knee measurement (23", 37" inseam).

My tad coffin was a 19", my Black Country Ricochet on order (arrives in 10 days!!! *dances*) is an 18 1/2" with a custom forward flap. I tried both an 18" Wexford/Ricochet hybrid with a custom flap, and a 18" Ricochet through the fitter, the Ricochet was just a bit squished, but I think the standard forward flap was partially to blame. We went up half a size, and copied the flap from the Wexford/Ricochet hybrid (which was pretty freaking forward).

I'm 5' and feel most comfortable in a 16.5. I do have a big butt too, but I think saddle size has more to do with femur length than how much junk is in the trunk. With bigger saddle, the flap is too long/forward and knee ends up not even on the flap!

2 members found this post helpful.

5'1, fatter than I'd like, and I ride in a 17" fairly flat seat jump saddle. I have a long leg for my height and this puts my knee where I want it to be.

I'm 5'11 and have a long upper leg. I ride in a 17.5" AP saddle. I can get my stirrups short enough to jump 3' comfortably but my knee would be off the front if they went any shorter. If I were to buy an actual jumping saddle I'd probably go for an 18" with a forward.

Generally it's based on the length of thigh/femur than seat but then some adjustments have to be made. A person might need a larger seat and shorter flap or smaller seat and longer flap.. and then different saddles might vary some in size.. for someone who's about 5'3 - 5'5 and average build would be 16.5 - 17

5'4, short legs, and a flat Beval Devon without knee rolls or blocks. 16.5

I'm 6 foot, 145 lbs and ride in a 17.5 saddle.

5'9", 140lbs, no butt to speak of, long femur. 17.5" seat with a long and forward flap.

I'm 5'8" and ride in a 17.5 (extra long, extra forward) Prestige Meredith. I have as long of a femur as my 6'4" husband. I'm all legs.

This baby got back--like I make J-Lo and the others you mentioned look flat behind. I wear a 30" jean.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/