The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do with my elderly pony when I relocate?

We are relocating from the East coast to the West coast and I am trying to find a good solution for my elderly pony (she's 31 year old). Of course, selfishly I would like to keep her with me so I can control her care, but I don't feel like that's fair to her make her travel that far. So I am looking at retirement barns in my current area. I am so sad/worried to be so far away from her though. She is in good health, but I watch her diet very carefully. She also is insulin resistant, so although all of the beautiful pastures I see at retirement barns are inviting, I just see founder written all over them. She has to be body clipped at least 2x a year. Who will do this for her? Is that part of the deal with a retirement barn? Thanks for helping me think through this.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish I could go back to cali (first 31 years of my life were in SO CA)

Why can't you take her with you?

I know a small retirement farm that absolutely will do all of it and more. In fact, nearly all the guests there fit your pony's situation. You didn't give an idea of where you are on the East Coast. You are welcome to send me a private message.

hundredacres - I just didn't know if a 31 year old horse could make the trip? Seems really stressful? She is one tough pony, but that might be too much for her. But maybe I am worrying too much and she can do more than I think she can?

Where are you located now? We are not specifically a retirement farm, but we have an empty stall for one boarder and would totally be able to do everything she needs. We also have an elderly pony who would love a friend.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think it just depends on how healthy she is. I would be hesitant with a horse that age, but a pony is so much tougher. Ask your vet. But then again, you have some offers here so maybe those will work out!

I know of a wonderful place that will do all of those things- and has a large dirt field for IR horses. Owner was a vet tech and knows her stuff. I had a retired horse there for many years until she passed away. It is in Orange County, NY. PM me if you want the info.

if she is healthy and normally trailers well, take her with you. Send her with a professional shipper in a box stall, the big rigs are well ventilated, have air suspension and they have lay over spots. Just check with your vet if you should do any special pre trip care - some people oil, update any vaccines etc.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd take her. You could find a local vet to meet up with the hauler at a layover spot around half way and run IV fluids and give her a solid once over for peace of mind.

I'd take her with me. If that wasn't an option, ok- I'm ready to be screamed at- I'd euthanize my 31 year old horse if I was going to another COAST before I'd send her off to a farm with whom I was not personal friends.

For me, the wondering and worry would kill me.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

20 members found this post helpful.

i would talk to the vet and probably take her. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I'd take her with me. If that wasn't an option, ok- I'm ready to be screamed at- I'd euthanize my 31 year old horse if I was going to another COAST before I'd send her off to a farm with whom I was not personal friends.

I agree with this 100%.

Take her if you can; if you cannot, don't risk leaving her across the country with people you don't know, no matter how great their reviews are. She's 31, you wouldn't want the last days of her life to be miserable should the retirement place not take good care of her.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

7 members found this post helpful.

Ditto. I had a friend move from a farm in PA down to a suburban house in FL (retirement) who couldn't take her horses with her. She re-homed the pony that was a good lesson pony, and put down her elderly horse and her retired polo horse. The polo horse needed a beginner-level of workload, but an intermediate to advanced rider since he was so highly trained and sensitive. Since combos like that don't usually exist, she didn't want to risk it.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoinBacktoCali View Post
    hundredacres - I just didn't know if a 31 year old horse could make the trip? Seems really stressful? She is one tough pony, but that might be too much for her. But maybe I am worrying too much and she can do more than I think she can?
    Just use a reputable shipper and get her a box stall. I highly recommend Equine express.

My thoughts exactly.

4 members found this post helpful.

I vote take her with you, figure it out.... You know what she needs & it's just not food and care, but you, she needs you. At least you know you tried.....

There isn't just one way to do retirement boarding! Absolutely barns can and do organize things like clipping the horses etc.

If you want to keep in touch with a horse not nearby, pick a farm that sends pictures regularly, or posts them to Facebook. Have a look at Paradigm Farms' page, or mine, to see what some places do to help owners keep an eye on their horses.

I'd take her with you. Find a good shipper and work out an easy trip. She could go to the Midwest somewhere, lay over a couple of days, then hit the coast. Or you could even split the trip into thirds with a one day layover between each leg.
    She's just 31 - my mare is 35 and as healthy as she is, looks like she'll be with me several more years. You can bet I'd move her with me if we were to head off.

IMO, a HO needs to see the places and meet the people where Beloved will live.

And that includes being realistic about the quality of life for the horse in your new climate. So I wouldn't ship my retired horse to Bug Hell or Dry Lot Hell or whatever else I think the animal would hate. If I were moving to some section of the country that had only these to offer, I'd look for a great place far away. It would suck (from the ol' wallet), but I'd fly there and see the place in person before I shipped the horse.***

I think your pony could make the trip ok. A box stall on an air-ride trailer is 8' x9'-- fabulous for a pony-- and about $3K right now, coast-to-coast.

*** I say this as a particular kind of HO. I really enjoy being involved with horses I own. I want whats best for them, but I consider myself their buck-stopper, so I like taking responsibility for the details of the care. Most of the time, that means I'd like the horse with me. But if I can't get that done such that the horse will have the care or facilities I want, then I also won't mind doing the research to find the right retirement place. I just get joy from doing the right thing for a horse I own, even if it's a PITA.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If it would help, she could do a layover at my place in SW Michigan for a few days. I have a dirt paddock and a Shetland and even a spare grazing muzzle!
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.