The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle gurus: trees similar to Albion Kontact/Kontrol

So, the good news is that my fabulous new trainer has helped me ride my fellow so much better that in less than 12 months, his back has come up and filled in beautifully.

The bad news is that now he no longer fits in his jumping saddle. I'm a little heartbroken because it's a WONDERFUL saddle for a TB type (Albion K2 NM, but with TB points and a dropped panel) and I was all pleased with myself for finding one that specific used.

I've really liked the K2, and he can now take a medium in that tree without the dropped panel. But the shape of the MW Kontact/ Kontrol tree is actually a little better for him, and I really, REALLY like how they ride.

So, I'm on the prowl for one in black... but in the meantime, what other saddles have a similar tree? I'm pretty sure Black Country; do their sizes correspond (and which styles?)? Anyone familiar with the Ideal trees? I tried one used once, and loved it (didn't fit pony, alas).

Thanks!!

(Did I mention I'm all impressed that my TB is now wider than the 17H ISH and 16.3H APHA in our barn? And that my fitter says that none of it is fat? /bragging )

Contact Kathy Hooper at tack4u@binternet.com She is in England and has several used Albions. I just got a really nice saddle from her. She is incredibly helpful, has reasonable prices, and super fast shipping. Good Luck!

Thanks Plain Bay... does she have a website?

I might know someone selling a black Kontrol - PM me what size you need and I'll check with her.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the couple of PMs I've gotten!

Any of our resident COTH fitters out there have any info they'd like to share?

I would reach to Colleen Meyer at Advanced Saddle Fit. She has a ton of experience and used to sell Abions (I bought my Kontrol from her for my TB), though she no longer carries them.

Ann Forrest at Equestrian Imports could probably help you with that question as well - she sells Albions, and is a great fitter.