The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have to say goodbye to my old lady today

My Carmella cat has not been doing well. She is at least 17 (got her from the pound 16 years ago). She is blind. She has arthritis. Her back legs aren't working well. And last night she had a seizure. It was awful to watch. I took her in bed with me and she slept with me all night, no further seizures, but I am not going to wait for anything else bad to happen. Unfortunately my vet isn't on duty today but I know the other one and am just waiting for a call to tell me when to go in.

She also answers to "pretty girl." She has been SUCH a good girl, always a lady. Always a love bug. Godspeed, pretty girl.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm very sorry. It's going to be a brutally hard day for you, I know. But, please take some comfort in the knowledge that you are, indeed, giving her the final gift that we humans can give to our beloved animals. We can, if we have the courage, send them to wait for us at the Bridge before their suffering becomes too great. Thank you, from Carmella, I'm sure, for having that courage.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry. You shared 16 wonderful years together and I know you will miss her greatly.

Hugs for you and a little pat for Carmella.

Oh I am so sorry! Had to do that last year (put down my 17o girl) and its awful saying good by to such a loyal friend. I so agree with you, that while I am willing to hang in there for a long time, I am not willing to watch them suffer. Your Carmella sounds like a lovely, lovely girl, and how wonderful for her that she has landed so well these 16 years, and had such a caring home. I am so so sorry - sending you a hug and best wishes and glad that your girl is going to have such a beautiful crossing. Take care of yourself.

I am SO second guessing myself. She still has a wonderful appetite, ate a ton this morning. But she seems SO confused, kind of dazed. I am firmly of the belief that it is better a day too soon than an hour too late. But it is just such a difficult decision. What is really driving me is the seizure last night, Are you guys sure I am doing the right thing?

1 members found this post helpful.

You'll know when it is right. You could always see what the vet says in an evaluation and make your decision based on that. The same thing happened with my old cat... she actually was having a bit better day when I took her in to be euthanized, but we knew that it was going to go downhill again. Hugs!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

((((HUGS))))

You have to be the one to make that call as you are the only one who knows your kitty through and through. You might consider talking it through on the phone with the vet if you have doubts, but you'll get no judgement here if you choose to proceed or not.

It's a hard decision because we love them so much and they become such an integral part of our lives. And sometimes we flub a bit on the final decision, but no one is perfect, nor do we have a crystal ball. You've given your girl love and a safe, comfortable home for her whole life. That is what matters most.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have some experience with this. I had a cat going downhill from cancer. She had a seizure, which scared me to death. I ran her right back to the vet (we were there pretty often) and he couldn't find a medical reason. However, shortly there after, the day came when she got up confused and dazed. I put her down that day.

She's been pretty much confused and dazed for several days now. Although eating. She pretty much has very little quality of life. I gave her a nice long grooming this morning (her favorite thing) and we are going to take our last trip to the vet. Going to the vet doesn't bother her - unlike my other kitties I have had to PTS - in their case my wonderful vet came out to my house. Thank you for all of your support, it really means a lot to me.

I am sorry

That is such a hard decision! Im glad you are going to the vet to see what they say. When I took my old girl in last year (she was getting daily Subq, anti nausea meds, app stimulants),I pretty much knew. The vet was great - looked her over, gave her a loving pat and asked me, "So, what are you doing?" I had told him that if we got to that point, and I missed it, to tell me. She stil loved sitting on the radiator with her boyfriend, but, as the vet pointed out, my love was keeping her going (and the subq) and she was really done. It just felt like the right time then, whereas earlier I didn't think so, she was still looking too lively and engaged. I am really sorry.

What a sad day - I'll be thinking of you and Carmella. {{HUGS}}
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I'm so sorry.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Kitty!

I think you need to have a summit meeting with you, the vet and Catness all eyeball to eyeball. I think you'll feel better with some live, experienced person looking at your cat with you and figuring out how much quality of life she has.

I had given a cat to a friend who had a seizure caused by diabetes. I think each seizure fries their brain a little bit. He came back from that one (because my friend adored him), but he also looked more unsteady and withdrawn than he had previously. Of course, that was "in general" so you'd see moments of him fully engaged with the world--- like when he was fed. His health was still hard to manage and the next seizure he had lowered that "looks good in general" level for him. IMO, it was time right then.

So ask your vet what he sees in your cat post-seizure.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Everyone agreed at the vet's. It was the right thing to do. Godspeed my baby girl. I will miss you like crazy. She LOVED to be caressed and kissed, purred and purred. Died in my arms purring.

I am so sorry for your loss.

It is never easy to let them go, but you had the strength to do it for her. Godspeed Carmella.

Big hugs for you.

Lots of (((((hugs)))))
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I'm so very sorry. You gave her the most selfless and loving gift possible. Your courage to allow your gut instinct to prevail over the rationalizations we all go through at a time like this is inspiring and so right. I'm sorry for your pain.

Godspeed, Pretty Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    She LOVED to be caressed and kissed, purred and purred. Died in my arms purring.
    There are worse ways to go.

But

Kitteh! OMG, kit-teee!

(Picture a cross between church revival and open casket funeral, a huge, bear-like lady in a girdle and a huge floral hat.... throwing herself on the coffin at an inopportune moment. That's the visual that goes with

"Kitteh! And the fur..... and her momma..... and the purring until the very end..... kit-tee,ee!"

You did good for your cat with this send off, OP.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Long distance hugs from me. A beautiful end.