The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers in Virginia

My schedule is changed and I'm branching out to other trainers. I've worked with a terrific trainer recently and I want to supplement what I'm learning with him. See Wayward Springs Farm, Mike Mendell.

I'm starting up with Lauren Sprieser for dressage. I'm excited about at.

Unfortunately, my previous trainer doesn't teach at night, and I have a new day time job. :-(

So I'd like to take a couple of lessons with someone who trains jumper riders and Im looking for someone within an hour of me, in Washington VA. I've heard that Joe Fargis is nearby but I don't have contact info. I've also heard that Gavin Moylen is around here. It i think he left Warrenton and is somewhere Around Middleburg.

Suggestions? Contact info?

Thanks!
    Ann

Katy Masek in Marshall: www.kailuafarm.com has helped me on and off for years.

She has done grand prix dressage, grand prix (I think) jumpers, evented through intermediate, hunted and bred some very nice warmbloods, buys and sells etc. Doesn't get out to the big shows much anymore but her dressage background has always meshed with mine and she has always been very helpful to me. She has many, many years of experience--more than some local instructors.

I recently rode in a clinic with Joe Fargis and thought it was very helpful. I would consider riding with him again. I am guessing he is pretty pricey though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jenn Tirrell. She has been a big part in why I am better this year. She has a pretty flexible schedule and teaches a lot out of Locochee (I am assuming Locochee is within an hour but I really don't know). http://www.jenntirrell.com/

Btw, I LOVE riding with Lauren. She cracks me up, but I also truly appreciate that she truly appreciates (and gets!) event horses and riders. Can't say that about a lot of Grand Prix dressage riders!

1 members found this post helpful.

Allison Springer is truly fantastic. She loves teaching and is great at it!!!

Lauren is GREAT! I did a clinic with her last weekend and learned a lot and really enjoyed myself. She is a riot.

There are a ton of other good people clustered around Middleburg/Aldie/Warrenton areas. I believe Gavin is still near Warrenton - pretty close to Morningside. I think he's great - he doesn't talk a ton, but what he says matters. You can go as high up as you want in terms of H/J types of folks in that area - the HJ board likely has a bunch of suggestions, but everyone from Joe Fargis to Katie Prudent (if she's in town - often she's in France) to more local trainers. If you want eventers, Lynn Symansky and Skyeler Voss are both terrific. Skyeler might be closer to you - she's at Morningside; Lynn's a slightly longer drive but I like her in particular with TBs and with quirky horses, as she's been able to figure out some of ours who are less traditional. You might also be about the same distance going up 522 from Berryville (Phyllis Dawson) or just a smidge further to Sharon White in WV.

Thanks folks. I know the event trainers well and have ridden with the above. They're all terrific. I need someone available at night, or on weekends although I'm competing every weekend from now until the end of who knows when. I'm learning a ton from Mike who is nearby and want to supplement with a jumper trainer. With Mick, I'm working a lot on power through turns to height. And there's my tendency to want to micromanage, ugh....

I've ridden with Sharon for a few years and she is amazingly Awesome but rarely teaches at night. That's a huge loss for me but...it is what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha37 View Post
    Lauren is GREAT! I did a clinic with her last weekend and learned a lot and really enjoyed myself. She is a riot.
    Lauren who? Kieffer?

I'd suggest Gavin- I think he has a knack for quickly honing in on what your issue is and then providing good feedback to help you fix it. Not sure where he is based at the moment, I think I heard someone say he was down towards Warrenton.

Silvio Mazzoni is in Aldie and takes haul-ins on the weekends. He's great for setting the horse up to be successful and has helped me learn what needs to be micromanaged and what can be left alone. Also great with young and difficult horses and has had great success in the GP ring.

I haven't ridden with Jenn Tirrell but have a friend who rides with her and loves her, and she and the horse have really come along under her instruction.

There are others, but it sounds like you don't necessarily need a Joe Fargis or Katie Prudent and for what you are looking for, any of these three would be a great place to start.

Thanks wanderlust. I was actually trying to get contact info for Joe F or Katie P. why don't you think I need either of them? I've heard that they are both excellent.

Joe fargis is a great teacher, but you have ot have a VERY flexible schedule to ride with him. (Gillian rode with him when she was campaigning Sport.) Basically you find out Tuesday night wht time your Wednesday lesson is, or whether he can't fit you in this week.

Gavin is also good, and much easier to schedule lessons with.

There is also Gegi Winslett.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Thanks wanderlust. I was actually trying to get contact info for Joe F or Katie P. why don't you think I need either of them? I've heard that they are both excellent.
    I think you misunderstood my point. They are both fantastic. But there are other great trainers in the area who are both going to be more available and flexible about teaching off-hours, and take more long-term interest in someone who may not be headed for the high AO/Grand prix/FEI levels and going on the road with them (I say that making an assumption that as an eventer those aren't your goals).

I know Katy Masek has a lighted outdoor arena.

I am pretty sure she would teach an occasional lesson in the evening. She is not a household name but she pretty much doesn't need to do a lot of advertising.

Last year Gavin was at a barn just north of Leesburg off of 15 after the bypass.
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford