The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I am a horse hypochondriac.

Today, one of my mares had some scabby, crusty, painful skin on her upper and lower lip, right near the mucocutaneous junction. She started getting alfalfa yesterday. My immediate thought was "OMIGOD! OMIGOD! BLISTER BEETLES!!"

I couldn't find any beetles in the alfalfa (I tore apart the ENTIRE bale and only found one sad, squashed ladybug), and she had no other signs - her gums, tongue and what I could see of the rest of her mouth with a flashlight and stepstool looked totally normal. She was eating, drinking, peeing and pooping totally normally.

I went home and consulted Dr. Google a few hours later, who convinced me that, without a doubt, she had probably *just* consumed blister beetles, and was probably dying that very second.

I rationalized and convincingly told myself that no, she is indeed fine, and probably grazed on a fire ant pile or something.

At 11pm I couldn't stand it any longer, and drove a half an hour back out to the barn, ready to hook up the trailer and schlep her off to the vet school for lifesaving blister beetle procedures.

She was fine.

I collected some suspicious-looking small black beetles that live in the corner under her water bucket to submit to the vet school's parasitology department, just in case they are some blister beetle subspecies that she's been getting a little too friendly with.

I am a horse hypochondriac.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good! They need that sometimes.

There might be a website where you can see pictures of both the beetles and the typical injuries.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Hello, my name is 2DogsFarm and I approach horsy injuries the same way.

We had a long stretch of nasty weather this Winter with frozen ground and lots of snow. My horses are out 24/7/365 by their choice - they have access to stalls.

My WB developed a swollen sheath and before it resolved (as soon as he was able to move more freely over the ground) I had half-convinced myself he had A)penile cancer B)congestive heart failure C)some obscure condition that would certainly kill him.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My laid back gelding failed his lease trial due to being antisocial and grumpy (but perfect under saddle oddly enough). Knowing that sort of behavior is a total 180 from his normal self, I was convinced it was a brain tumor! But then he marched off the trailer (sweaty, eyes rolling) and when I took his lead rope from former leaser, he sighed, withers dropped 3 inches, and he rested his head on my chest. Now I think he just hated the woman for some unknown reason. He's been utterly perfect since he came home.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    My laid back gelding failed his lease trial due to being antisocial and grumpy (but perfect under saddle oddly enough). Knowing that sort of behavior is a total 180 from his normal self, I was convinced it was a brain tumor! But then he marched off the trailer (sweaty, eyes rolling) and when I took his lead rope from former leaser, he sighed, withers dropped 3 inches, and he rested his head on my chest. Now I think he just hated the woman for some unknown reason. He's been utterly perfect since he came home.
    Haha, I had one do that too. He'd become a difficult loader as well. I went to pick him up, said "Charlie do you want to go home?" He RAN onto the trailer.

I've become more laid back over the years. It helps that my daughter was an equine vet tech.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad I am not the only one who sees an injury and automatically assume it is something serious.

ohmigod. are we starting a support group?? Because I am morganpony86 and I am a horse hypochondriac.

My lowest moment was when I felt large hard lumps on the ventral mandible of my 2 year old TB (several years back) and immediately jumped to osteosarcoma. It took me several days to figure out yes, permanent teeth erupting. Right.

I'm currently in the throes of a days-long panic attack thinking my horse, who significantly injured a hind leg a couple years ago, is foundering on his remaining 3 good legs.

I need a support group lol!! At least someone to tell me that my horses aren't dying...today at least!

It is funny you mention blister beetles b/c I was convinced they were going to be in the alfalfa at our barn after reading an article in The Horse. I knew about them, but after reading the article I became paranoid. Asked BO & vet if there had ever been an incident in the area. Apparently didn't think they were reliable and went out of my way to ask old farmers.

Then I realized that every article I read about horse health problems made me like that. Every possible disorder or disease, no matter how obscure.

I am paranoid about my easy keeper and laminitis. The day she came out of her stall (with an abscess) rocked back on her heels, &%** did I freak out. HEart racing, etc.

I realized later what a mess I must have been b/c when I went out to my car the next day - everything I had been holding when I ran back to my car to get phone was in the car, including her halter.

What did I take her out with after that? I don't even remember. I obviously had to go and get another one from somewhere, but it is a blurr. seriously, I lost my mind.

This is why I let my subscription to Equus expire. I loved it (thank you, Secret Santa 2011!), but it made me helplessly paranoid. I don't need to borrow trouble--horses are enough trouble on their own!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I had to let my subscription to Equus expire, too -reading it gives me the horsey equivalent of medical school syndrome.

It doesn't count as being a hypochondriac if your horses are always getting sick and breaking... right? Can someone please tell me I'm not crazy?

I also just got the best news that my large animal vet is joining a small animal practice... so now I need a new vet. Ugh

Are you trying to say that every little bump or nick is NOT FATAL????

That is some leap of faith! I'm always this () close to panic when it comes to my animals. You're not alone!
    Ride like you mean it.