The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Camarillo Fire -- Are Your Horses Safe?

Are there any of you who had to evacuate? Hope everyone found a place to keep their horses. Fortunately, the news is reporting no injuries. However, people are moving themselves and their animals which must be a huge royal pain. Let's hope the injuries (and of course deaths!) stay at zero.

The newscasters are saying that the fire has reached Pacific Coast Highway and more mandatory evacuations are being ordered.

Hoping everyone is safe! It's not a SB equine evac deal, I guess LA has their own, so I don't know about the horses :/

ETA! Hubby said to post our # up anyways (it goes through to his phone haha), our trailers are ready if anyone needs help!

805-892-4484

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Hoping everyone is safe! It's not a SB equine evac deal, I guess LA has their own, so I don't know about the horses :/
    You're involve with Equine Evac? Cool. I must know you somehow.

ETA! Hubby said to post our # up anyways (it goes through to his phone haha), our trailers are ready if anyone needs help!

805-892-4484
    That's awfully nice of you! Let's hope no one has to take you up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    You're involve with Equine Evac? Cool. I must know you somehow.
    It's such a small horse world in SB, I'm sure we know eachother and just don't realize it!

And yes, hopefully no one had to use it, I hope all the horses are safe! I've evacd my own horses before, it's a scary situation and just as scary for the horses.

It's such a small horse world in SB, I'm sure we know eachother and just don't realize it!

And yes, hopefully no one had to use it, I hope all the horses are safe! I've evacd my own horses before, it's a scary situation and just as scary for the horses.
    I bet we do.

I remember having to evac during the Gap Fire. 11 pm at night, lots of activity at the barn. And there was my boy, good as gold, playing in the water bucket while we waited for Equine Evac to come get us and he climbed right into the trailer without a fuss. Haflingers, stoic beasties.

I used to board with Larry and Jodi at Camariillo Springs ranch.
    I called them last night. The fire started 6:30 yesterday morning across the freeway from them and blew the other way. See map.
    They are very fire concious on the ranch. This fire is one of those freaky bad ones.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/05/03/...es-10-percent/

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_231...ventura-county

http://horseboardingcamarillo.com/
    Last edited by 5; May. 3, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Hoping everyone is safe! It's not a SB equine evac deal, I guess LA has their own
    Yes Los Angeles has their own. It's a distance thing.
    The Tim and I have trailerd out horses in need of evac during the chatworth fire/ Porter ranch fires. The horses get a collar of ductttape with their info on it so they don't get lost. The emergency stables that time was in the Hanson Dam Area. WHen Hanson Dam goes up other stables return the favor.
    Camarillo Springs ranch is one of the safe haven evac stabling areas. They probably don't expect to have guest horses 'this' fire. It could still circle around and put the evacuated horses in danger again.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

After the Tea, Gap and Jesusita fires I had a small freak out yesterday. I helped get 60 horses out of the barn each fire. With the Gap & Jesusita I had to come home, do laundry, remove the fire wood from the patio, pack and take myself, my two kids and my animals to my girlfriends 30 miles away.

Since my husband is fire, I have to do all of this alone, I am a single parent during each fire. Hope all is OK with the Camarillo fire, lots of acreage burned but little structure damage. Hope it stays that way.

I'm just a few miles from Camarillo Springs but fortunately for our community (700 or so horses) the fire did not threaten us. The fire is now south of us. It burned to the coast and has doubled back and heading south.

Hidden Valley has been asked to evacuate. Lots of horses there - many are being taken to Spirit Equestrian in Somis.

PeteyPie - thanks for asking and for starting this thread.

TBRedHead - I'm going to hang on to your number just in case!

Just checking in here. I love driving through Hidden Valley, keeping my fingers crossed for all of them.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I am just inland of Hidden Valley, where the 23 meets the 101. I got the trailer hooked up and made plans, but by 6pm things have quieted down considerably so I am staying put. Neighbors have moved their horses, but they are closer to the Santa Monica mountain side. Hidden Valley seemed a bit chaotic with lots of "celebrity" horses there, including some River Grove horses since I believe Debbie McDonald and Adrienne Lyle are still down here. Everyone seems to have come out okay so far. Crazy how much burned in so little time! Winds were just nuts yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    Crazy how much burned in so little time! Winds were just nuts yesterday.
    In the summer of '76 The same area (Newbury Park) also burned from the freeway to the ocean. That one was started by a homeowner welding on a wrought iron fence. I think that fire jumped the freeway. So it was a fierce one.

Darned I sound old. I remember when there were only two stoplights in town.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    In the summer of '76 The same area (Newbury Park) also burned from the freeway to the ocean. That one was started by a homeowner welding on a wrought iron fence. I think that fire jumped the freeway. So it was a fierce one.

Darned I sound old. I remember when there were only two stoplights in town.
    Can't remember if it was 76 or some earlier year, but one year it burned from the 101 to PCH near Pepperdine in a matter of a few hours. My mom had her horse further out in Malibu and described driving down PCH in that area and the fire-driven winds being so strong it felt like the steering wheel was getting ripped out of her hands. Later she figured that she was one of the last ones through and the authorities had no idea how close the fire was.

Scary times.

The fire fighting seems much much better than what I remember in my youth. Don't know if they're better trained (or more of them get training in wild fires, even if they're not from that sort of area) or they figured out that the thing to do is concentrate resources on defending structures instead of trying to fight the fire as it raged across undeveloped, not recently burned areas.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I think that might be the Old Topanga/Malibu fire of 93. That was awful for the horses. I remember my dad taking us to the McDonald's off Kanan and we watched that fire burn Lady Face mountain while munching burgers in the parking lot. I also remember the hitching post at the Carl's Jr. fast food restaurant.

Anyway, most of those very helpful trailering volunteers seem to be spurned by memories of that Malibu fire.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Not 93 because we were out of Malibu by then. Reinforces the idea that this has happened over and over again. I think the 93 one was the time that it looked like the whole coastline was on fire when I looked across Santa Monica bay towards Malibu at night.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Yeah, I just looked at the history of Malibu fires. Certainly been many and yes it seems they have gotten much better at saving homes.

Love living here. HATE Santa Ana winds!!!

805-892-4484
    I hope it's ok, i just shared this on Horseforum too.
    I love you for offering this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I hope it's ok, i just shared this on Horseforum too.
    I love you for offering this. Thank you.
    Please share! Mark (president) and his wife are down there evacing, our website is down, so share share share!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Can't remember if it was 76 or some earlier year, but one year it burned from the 101 to PCH near Pepperdine in a matter of a few hours. My mom had her horse further out in Malibu and described driving down PCH in that area and the fire-driven winds being so strong it felt like the steering wheel was getting ripped out of her hands. Later she figured that she was one of the last ones through and the authorities had no idea how close the fire was.

Scary times.

The fire fighting seems much much better than what I remember in my youth. Don't know if they're better trained (or more of them get training in wild fires, even if they're not from that sort of area) or they figured out that the thing to do is concentrate resources on defending structures instead of trying to fight the fire as it raged across undeveloped, not recently burned areas.
    That sounds a lot like the Malibu fire in '93.
    If you live long enough the fires seem to be reruns of earlier fires.
    Did you see how Cheseboro park in Agoura bounced back after the fire five or so years ago? You wouldn't guess how badly it burned seeing it now
    Last edited by 5; May. 4, 2013 at 01:51 AM.