The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat rolling in the dirt: What were you thinking, kitteh?

Why was this a good idea?

Catness wants Out. Goes out there, the cement walk is still warm, so kitty rolls around and enjoys life. But that's just for a minute! Then she thinks it will be cool to come back in the house with dirt still on her fur. I am forced to do a brushing intervention on the back porch. And even so, these self-grooming animals would normally have to do that with their tongue (and a lot of yoga-like work).

So, catters, what *is* the long term plan with the dirt bath for these animals? What's the appeal?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Kills bugs? Don't know where I came up with that, maybe a PBS African animals special. Roll in mud, then add layer of dirt=bugs can't penetrate.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I dunno, but every time my shiny black kitty goes outside, she comes in grey from rolling in crusher run. YUCK! And of course, the first thing she wants to do is rub all over you then jump in our bed.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Every cat I've ever had LOVES to roll around on concrete, preferably dusty concrete... Strange, for an animal that seems so particularly fastidious re: cleanliness!!

A few years ago, we were remodeling a bathroom in our 100-year old house, and we had the subfloor ripped up... Our orange tabby decided it would be a great opportunity to go exploring BETWEEN the floors of the house. When she came out, she looked like she had been climbing up a chimney-- there wasn't a single patch of orange left on her; she was soot-grey from nose to tail.

Kitteh had to get a real bath after that one...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Birds do dirt baths so maybe it is something along those lines? My cat always seeks out dusty concrete and dirt for a good roll but wouldn't dream of rolling on grass. Cats...

It must feel good - my shiny black kitty takes delight in rolling in gravel and dust. His brother would roll in alfalfa and act like it was catnip. Jack rolls in mud sometimes and all the outside cats roll in snow (BRRRRRRRRR).

BUT what on earth possessed Jack and Tippy to walk UNDER the truck the other day after I came home? that made no sense at all since the truck was dripping muddy water. Jack still has a lump of dried mud on him and refuses to allow me to remove his badge of bravery.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Dirt I could deal with. What I'd like to know is what attracts some cats (2 out of my current 3) to "stinky" stuff?

My cats LIVE for when I bring in a pile of winter-stinky horse blankets for washing. You'd think it was one of those ball playground things for kids. And if a dog has a piddle accident & I drop a paper towel on it while I go for the cleaner? It's a given that I'll return to find a cat on that paper towel. Revolting. I'll never figure this one out.

Glad I'm not the only one with a stink-loving cat. Miss kitty has a special love for dirty saddle pads that come home for washing. She rolls on them like it is catnip while purring like a lunatic.

Its normal for animals to roll. It kills parasites and also covers scent. Think about a lion that rolls in dung from herd animals. It is instinctive behavior.

My garage kitty is usually as clean as my house cat. Today he looks like a stray. God knows whats in his coat, but its matted everywhere. Tomorrow he gets a bath and grooming. I hope I can get whatever it is out. Its still too cold to shave him.