The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Where I board you have 10 days before your board is considered late, and then there's a $25 late payment fee. As far a I know, only one person has ever pushed that envelope - and she moved out last year.

Once you craft up your new contract, be sure you clearly outline the Consequences for Not Abiding by the stipulations. It's one thing to say "These here be da rules" and another to say "This is what will happen if you choose to violate them."

With respect to non-payment of board, our contract states:

Right of Lien: Owner is put on notice that Stable has, may assert and exercise a Right Of Lien, as provided for by the laws of the State of Georgia (Georgia Code ยง 44-14), for any amount due for the board and keep of horse(s), and also for any storage or other charges due hereunder, and further agrees Stable shall have the right, without process of law, to attach a lien to your horse(s) after two (2) months of non-payment or partial payment and stable can then sell horse(s) to recover its loss.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My co-worker has a few rental houses, and she used to assess a late fee. However, when she had to take a few renters to court for non-payment of rent (and she has VERY specific rental agreements), she wasn't always awarded the "late fees." (Rent, yes, and some of those renters didn't see an 'income tax return' until the rent was finally paid off.)

Well, recently, she decided that instead of a late fee, she put a clause in the rental agreements that says, "if you pay before the fifth of the month, you will get a $50 discount." She says her renters are now RUNNING to pay her, in order to qualify for the discount. If she has to take someone to court, she will be awarded the FULL rent, not the discounted amount.

Oh, and she's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. (Yea, Terees!) If you have a legit reason, she'll cut you a reasonable break. In fact, she reduced rent for a couple of people, just to keep them as renters.

I thought that that might work in horse boarding, too.

I'm paid bi-weekly, and I pay my board after I receive the "last" check of the month. Sometimes that makes me several days early with the horse board, but the BO hasn't complained yet.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

2 members found this post helpful.

Ours is due on the 1st- late at noon on the 3rd with a $50 fee.

My BO is very nice about letting us know on the 1st or 2nd if she doesn't have a check. I usually leave checks with her for a few months so sometimes forget when they run out. Last night she was in town and stopped by my house to pick it up on her way home so I wouldn't have to drive out- which I really appreciate (but definitely do not expect.) I like having a clear deadline and penalty so I don't procrastinate.

1 members found this post helpful.

As a wrinkle, for the barn I just left, I stopped using checks, and paid cash asking for a receipt, since the BO would take weeks to cash them!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Default Draft a contract ~ make this work for you ~ don't get 'run over'

Someone's poor planning should not impact you !

You have a hay man / feed man // and bedding man to pay.

You are providing a service for $$$$ !

The boarders are lucky to have their horses under your care and should not take advantage of you !

Draft a contract and get this into motion this month ``` it will eliminate this uncomfortable worry.

Make everything
    BLACK AND WHITE !

Perhaps a contract with late payment guidelines and consequences was not need before but NOW IT IS NEEDED !

Please don't allow yourself to get 'run over' horse care is too important and too exhausting to have to worry about a board check .

GOOD LUCK ! just get it done and sleep again !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

A 'discount if paid ontime' can work well. But then once they're past 'on time', just like a lump-sum late fee, people figure 'well, I've already got to pay the extra, might as well wait another week'.

Best to have board due on the 1st, NO GRACE PERIOD (i guarantee if you give them until the 5th for free, 90% of boarders will not pay until the 5th) and a per-diem late fee.

If someone REALLY has an unexpected delay in incoming funds, a BO can make an exception and hold one check for a few days more easily than they can pay the bills on time when all the boarders are accustomed to paying a week late.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    My co-worker has a few rental houses, and she used to assess a late fee. However, when she had to take a few renters to court for non-payment of rent (and she has VERY specific rental agreements), she wasn't always awarded the "late fees." (Rent, yes, and some of those renters didn't see an 'income tax return' until the rent was finally paid off.)

Well, recently, she decided that instead of a late fee, she put a clause in the rental agreements that says, "if you pay before the fifth of the month, you will get a $50 discount." She says her renters are now RUNNING to pay her, in order to qualify for the discount. If she has to take someone to court, she will be awarded the FULL rent, not the discounted amount.
    Thank you very much for relating that story. Before, I had never understood why people did rent(board) + discount as opposed to late fees.

OP, if you haven't had an in-person talk with the delinquent HO yet, I think you should. It can be casual, as in "Yo, it's not working for you to be paying on the 10th or so when board is due on the 1st. What's going on?" or "Can you pay me on the 1st from now on, please?"

I say this because it seems less friendly in a small barn to get the anonymized announcement of a policy change. They know you mean them. They also are presumably friendly with you.

In other words, check out this advice that has been floating around for a while: "You deliver praise in writing; you deliver criticism in person."

It requires that one Man Up, and also not be a jerk since you'll be with the person with whom you have a conflict, but it makes life very smooth.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My boarders all pay on the day of the month their horse initially arrived; as those days are different for everyone, the result is a steady cash flow all month.

I normally allow about 3 days after the due date before I send a little e-mail "reminder," which ordinarily elicits an immediate payment plus apology. Occasionally, if someone is really strapped, I'll let them pay in two installments to help their cash flow; I'm familiar with the realities of small business!

Once in a blue moon I get a "chronic" late-payer; usually someone whose interpretation is "any time after the first." I have a chat with them about relying on getting checks at certain times of the month to pay the barn's expenses, and that usually does the job.

Several times when people were dealing with extraordinary, catastrophic circumstances (health or finances, often both) I've put their horses on "scholarship" at my cost only, with the understanding that deal is temporary until they can re-home the horse or get back on their feet. Never had anyone abuse it.

I DO have a contract that states the board bill and a lot of other details specifically; and with the recession pretty much over here I've got all good payers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipsmom View Post
    Also, there is a full-care barn near me that charges $650/month but is $550 if you pay by the 10th. This would be a good incentive to pay on time!
    I love this idea because it puts all the responsibilty on the boarder to get the discount, instead of on you to come after late fees. I do think you should have a small grace period, or have board due a couple days after the first because a lot of people don't get paid until the first and some months it causes problems if the first falls on a weekend. Also, make VERY sure you have a secure "drop box." At one barn I was forced to be a few days late with the board because there was no secure place to leave a check and I couldn't get ahold of the BO to meet up, there was no mailbox at the barn, and I didn't have her home address. It was no big deal at that place because we didn't have a late fee until the 10th but if you had a stricter policy it could be a problem, so, make sure you are easy to pay!!!!

At my barn it's due on the first and grace period expires on the 10th.

Immediately. When they start getting inconsistent, boot em out. Over the years I've realized most horse people operate the same: first they are fine, awesome, then they get a little late, ask for grace, then it totally goes to sh*t. If you don nip this in the bud YOU will end up losing $.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

At the places Ive been, board was due at the first of the month but there was a grace period until the 5th, after that, there was a fee.

Board is due on the 1st, $5 late fee if paid on the 2nd-5th. after the 5th is $25 PLUS the $5 (so $30 on top of our $560 full board). I originally paid half on my first payday and half on my end of the month payday, because it was a smaller sum out of my account each time and ensured that the barn owners always had money from me. They treat me really well and love my pony like he's one of the family, so I try to do right by them.

Now, however, I'm doing a day of stalls and helping with turn in/out a couple other days since my work schedule allows it, in order to help the barn owner as she's preparing to have her baby (and will continue after baby arrives until she's ready to start back), and she's giving me a 50% discount on my board as thank you for helping. I didn't expect that, and was really blown away when she told me. So now I just keep board money in my account and pay whenever they need the money (so sometimes mid month, sometimes on the 1st), again because I try to make things as eaasy for them as possible since they're so good to my pony and me.

Quote Originally Posted by I wear horse hair View Post
    Also, make VERY sure you have a secure "drop box." At one barn I was forced to be a few days late with the board because there was no secure place to leave a check and I couldn't get ahold of the BO to meet up, there was no mailbox at the barn, and I didn't have her home address. It was no big deal at that place because we didn't have a late fee until the 10th but if you had a stricter policy it could be a problem, so, make sure you are easy to pay!!!!
    Yes, this! At my last barn, there was nowhere safe to pay after 8am on the 1st. The barn owner was awful to try to get ahold of despite living on the property (no mailbox/mail slot on the house, wtf?).

At the new barn, the BO has a drop box built into the inside of her tack locker door (her hubby cut a slot in the door, and then built a locking box on the back of it, so the box is doubly secure - locker lock AND box lock).

We also have a (secret) facebook group for boarders only, where we can make notes about feed change/asking to have horses left in at turnout time/making notes about lesson times/etc, and if we pay early/late we can leave a note asking if she's checked her box yet. It's a really handy communication tool, and works better than using the physical chalkboard at the barn because we have a couple barn cats that sit on the ledge and lick all the chalk off!

Thanks for everyone's input. Since I've only had one or two boarders maximum at a time I never had a formal boarding contract (although I do ask each boarder to sign a release of liability). In the future, I will institute a board contract.

As far as finances are concerned, I lost my full-time job last year, so yes, I am dependent on the board check to pay some of the on-going horse expenses such as hay. My husband has a full-time job so we're not in dire straits, but I don't have the cash flow that I used to have. I work on a part-time contractual basis while looking for full-time employment, so my income is inconsistent. Before anyone jumps on me for keeping my part-time barn help, who I pay $20 per day to clean stalls, both my husband and I agree that $20 per day is a small cost to keep our dependable part-time help, especially since I am actively looking for work and will need them when I return to work full-time (which hopefully will be soon).

While the horses aren't going to starve, I do depend on the board check for things like a monthly delivery of hay. My boarder is aware that we do depend on the board check to pay some of the horse expenses. This is the second month in a row when the boarder happened to be out of town when the board check was due. It would be simple for our boarder to mail us a check.

I think in the future I will institute a late fee (I remember when I was renting if the rent wasn't paid by the 5th of the month a late fee was assessed. Either that or a discount if paid by the first.

OP, another option might be to allow a "pay a person" transaction that most banks now have available at no charge. Or to encourage your boarder to use other online means of payment.

I have boarded for years and always tried to pay a few days early if I didn't think I could be out on the 1st. Now that I'm in a different area, with a different job and sometimes limited access to a vehicle, I can't always guarantee when I can get out to the barn. My current BO is (thankfully) very flexible on when I pay. Sometimes I pay in advance, sometimes a few days later. If she were to tell me that my horse's care, feed, whatever was dependent on having that check on X day, I'd make it happen come hell or high water.

The fact that your current boarder knows this and still does not make arrangements is concerning.

I think that were I in your shoes, I'd give your boarder notice that board is going up by X amount per month. And X amount may be the amount you'll discount if board is paid on the first. But I wouldn't just give a discount at the current rate.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Lots of my guys are on "Auto-Pay," which works great since a lot of my boarders are absentee-owner retirees. For people who travel a lot, I'd highly recommend it.