The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fitting a big, long horse into a Brenderup Baron TC

Hi all,

I have a Brenderup Baron TC that I love, but it's always been just a little bit snug, lengthwise, for my fairly compact, size 76/78 Thoroughbred. I now have a 17+ hand Belgian Warmblood, size 86, and I can't for the life of me figure out a way to fit him in there between the chest and butt bars. The trailer is tall enough, but is there some trick that I'm missing? They've always advertised it as big enough for an 18 hh horse. I hate to sell my trailer, but I'm thinking that I'm going to have to. Advice?

It's not rocket science IMO!! Sometimes they just don't fit!!! The horse is not going to be happy squished into a slot he doesn't fit in!! Can you leave the divider out and let him stand slanted???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Move the bars?

I'm sure you have already tried this, but, can you adjust the but bar so it is higher/further back? (On my Solo, the butt bar can go in the lowest, further-forward slot for smaller horses, but you could get several more inches of room if you moved the butt bar to the highest, furthest-back slot).

The butt bars (there are two, which attach to the center divider and the wall) go up and down, but not forward and back. They are as far back as they go. In order to allow him to stand slanted, I would need to get a one-piece butt-bar and remove the center divider, and even still, it would be close.

I just thought maybe somebody else had a trick of some kind that hadn't occurred to me. I can't think of any 18 hh horses that are as short lengthwise as my thoroughbred, so I thought there might be another way to do it.

I have a Baron TC and have comfortable fit horses in who were 81-83" blankets (and 16.3-17hh). In fact my 75" blanket/16hh TB finds the whole thing a bit too long in that if he parks his butt on the butt bar he can't reach his haynet!

So... I'm not sure I understand!
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

This is going to sound stupid, but do you have the chest bar and the butt bars at the highest slot levels, or no? Where, exactly, does the chest bar hit your horses? Mid-sternum? Or right where the neck joins the chest? Cuz my TB is always wedged in there pretty tight, but maybe he's pushing back against the butt bar and I just don't realize it....