The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is previcoxx ever a miracle drug?

We FINALLY pinpointed my mare's issues to her hip joint. It is arthritic, and the area around it looks like it has been damaged at some point. Vet feels that there is probably damage in the joint itself as well.

Vets think that her best hope for returning to any type of even light riding is previcoxx (history of ulcers - other NSAID's off the table)...they indicated that she should start showing improvement in a couple weeks if it is going to do anything.

Has anybody seen a horse go from not tolerating a rider to even light riding w/ this medication?

NSAIDs can make inflammation better and can help a lot with discomfort, but with chronic diseases like osteoarthritis there is no actual changing of the disease process with NSAIDs. Also arthritis is a waxing/waning type of disease so good days AND bad days are to be expected. Have you asked the vet about adequan or pentosan, both of which have demonstrated activity to actually improve the state of joint cartilage?
    Click here before you buy.

My friend's horse improved dramatically on Previcox.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a bandaid but sometimes a bandaid is the best you can do. I agree with trying pentosan first.

I asked about Pentosan...it was at the very end of a long day. He said that they have had success sometimes, and sometimes not...they also had it back ordered. I don't exactly remember the reasoning for 'maybe, maybe not'. He did explain what it does and had a rationale for not going there first..but my brain was fried at that point.

Adequan he mentioned - but also that it could get very $$$ depending on how frequently it was needed - and I've already spent $$$ on red herrings and trying to get this figured out.

I understand it's a bandaid....I just don't know if it's enough to stop a hemmorage or not. Mare has been completely unrideable since we moved almost a year ago. (hills, mud, cold, wet, damp....).

If he will write a script you can get it from Wedgewood the next day. I think you have a much better chance of a real positive outcome with Pentosan than with previcox.

Yes. Yes, it is.

I love Previcox. The difference between my horse not on it and on it is remarkable. I also use in addition to Adaquan injections. He has a few more joints that could be injected (we've done the hocks) but the vet nor I feel he is at that point yet.

My opinion, Previcox works and there is no way I'd do without.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

If this mare could even get to light riding as a therapy horse or something I'd be ecstatic!

Previcox bothered my sensitive ulcer horse. Not nearly as badly as bute does, but its no free ride either. He is now on pentosan, which while helping him feel good, isn't a pain reliever like Previcox.

If he's especially stiff I will still give it to him, but its for no more than 3 days, and with omeprazole.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I use Prevacox on my older retired mare, just to make her feel better. I don't see it as a miracle drug more like "Ibuprofen for horses."

The response can be hugely variable, even in one individual from week to week or month to month. THis is why you hear so many different levels of "it works" or "not so much".
    Click here before you buy.

Our BO has said that she was amazed with how it worked for her old semi retired lesson horse & her old dog. more anecdata for you.
    good luck

It's quite variable; for example, it really didn't help my mare. My vet often prescribes it with Robaxin; the combination of the two can be quite effective. For some horses. Some of the time.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I have my 26 yr old arab on it for arthritis and it works great he is never off. He gets it every other day.

My 16 yr old arab has DJD in both hocks, and has had stifle surgery which creates arthritis and scare tissue, he gets it every other day and he can be ridden all the time walk, trot, canter. i consider it a miracle drug it helped both my horses overnight. They were on it every day for a year and then I went to every other day.

I swear by it. I tried everything else for my 16 yr old since he was 10 and nothing worked but the past 3 yrs this has worked.

Personally i would think injecting the joint may be more effective. I wonder if they could do irap into a hip. I was recently talking to a friend who's horse previously had a fracture in there hock. I know a friend whom just started her horse on previcoxx for hock arthritis, apparently it's like she has a new set of legs.

I would do Pentosan, previcoxx and a high (20,000 mg) of msm. Give it a few months, then reevaluate. I would also be considering a BOT sheet and possibly a supplement like Equithrive into the mix. Yes they are all bandaids, but sometimes that is all you can do.
    If you could inject the joint that would be the best option, but I don't know how feasible that is.

He was willing to inject - but said 'at most it will be palliative'....I get injections in my hip. Celebrex actually works better - but tears up my stomach.

Apparently the injections tend to work best on low motion joints (like hocks).

A new leg would be good!!!

My 27 year old OTTB with DSLD was doing poorly late last Summer, and was painful. In July he was fine, and he suddenly was not. With my vet's advice, we tried Previcox. Literally overnight---and I mean for real--he was SO much better. In two days it was like it had taken 15 years off of his age. I was in tears; I thought I'd have to put him down, and he went through the winter beautifully and is very comfortable. Comfortable as in, he can no longer be given the run of the retirement property because he was galloping around and trying to "start it up" with the stalled stallions on the property. I have heard that for the horses it works for, it REALLY works, and for others, it doesn't work at all. Just the luck of the draw. For my "young" horse (13) who is actively ridden, Pentosan has been great---no more stiffness. I give it in place of Adequan (which seemed to make no noticeable difference). Neither of these horses have had any joint injections. Having just seen a former barnmate's AAA circuit hunter have to be put down due to sepsis from a joint injection (not the vet's fault, just one of those things), I would hold off on joint injections whenever possible.

Slight hijack/detour -- does anyone know which if these possibilities (Adequan, Pentosan, Previcoxx) are indicated or contraindicated for use on a pregnant mare? My older broodmare is suddenly in a lot of pain. I want to be informed when the vet comes out this week, and ask the right questions.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?