The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan i.m. what size, gauge needle?

The posts regarding injections sites have been very helpful. Now I need to find out what size and gauge needle I should use. Also can you use the same needle for drawing up and injecting?

I usually use a 1" 20 gauge and I do use the same needle to draw up and inject. If I happen to have a needle on hand that is a bit smaller or larger or a bit longer I am OK with that as well.
    Click here before you buy.

1.5" 21 gauge

I use a 22g 1 1/2"

I inject with the same needle I draw with.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use a 20g 1". You can use the same needle for drawing up and injecting, but if you have a horse that is iffy about needles you may want to change needles. Piercing the rubber stopper does dull the need somewhat and sharper needle=more comfortable injection. If I'm giving Adequan to a sensitive or needle shy horse I usually change needles.

I buy the needles used for insulin injections because they are finer. I figure if they are good for humans to use daily, they are good for use on my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    I buy the needles used for insulin injections because they are finer. I figure if they are good for humans to use daily, they are good for use on my horses.
    And you can draw Adequan up through a 28 g (or smaller) insulin needle? Really? And how on earth did you find a length that was appropriate--aren't they all like 1/2"? At that length, you're barely delivering the dose IM in a horse...more like sub q (which is what they're actually designed to do, right?) I didn't even know they made needles that small with hubs that would attach to a regular syringe.

Am I just misremembering that Adequan is really pretty viscous stuff? Granted it's been awhile since I've given it, but I do not recall it as something I would try with an insulin needle.

There's no way you can do an IM injection on a HORSE with an insulin syringe designed for sub-q. No. Way.

The longest are 1/2". There are also "shorts" at 5/16". Given how fine they are (31 gauge) and at those two lengths, don't get insulin syringes for am IM horse injection. They are meant to pierce human skin and go only as deep as fat.

I don't know what the dosage of Adequan is but it would have to be less than 1cc to use an insulin syringe.

1.5". 20 gauge

Insulin needles are NOT intended for IM use. One angry twitch of a butt muscle and you've sheared the thing right off under the skin.
    Click here before you buy.

Alright, glad I'm not the only only a little incredulous about the insulin needle comment. Thinking back, I've used 25 g 1/2" needles on a 1 cc syringe to give sub q to a cat. If I wasn't careful, I had trouble even getting the needle through the STOPPER. I cannot even fathom using something smaller to give adequan to a horse.

Thank you very much everyone. This has been very helpful. I have lots of 18 and 20 needles on hand. I will use the 18 to draw up and the 20 1.5 to inject. I am getting old and forgetful. Can't remember what I used last year. I have always injected in the neck but since I have to give 7 injections 4 days apart I may use both sides of the neck and pecs. He can't stand a bug landing near his hind end so it may not be a good location for injecting.