The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Feed in Southeast Area question

I am in Georgia and barn currently feeds my horse Seminole Wellness Show and Sport, which is a great low starch high fat feed, but barn up charges me an arm and a leg for this feed, as it costs them around $30 a bag. The only other feed they offer is Ash Brothers sweet feed that I can't find any good nutrional data on (even tried emailing company with reponse, but it only costs them around $15 a bag.

So can anyone recommend a good feed sold in southeast that is fairly low starch and high fat, but reasonably priced? Thanks for any input.

PS. My horse has no issues; but I have had EPSM horse in the past and my current horse is warmblood dressage horse so want to do what is best for her and prevent metabolic issues, but wondering if any more affordable good options.

I highly suggest Triple Crown Senior. It's 10% fat and ~11% starch, so a very good alternative to the Show & Sport, and is almost always cheaper. (and don't let the "Senior" sidetrack you, it's great for any kind of horse) Good luck!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

You need to call around and see what's available. I am in the Southeast but no one has Seminole and I've never heard of the other you mentioned.

What can you GET?

I've been feeding Keep Pace for about a year with good results. If the analysis on the linked page looks like something you might want to try, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Dealer link to see if it's available anywhere near you.

Seminole Safe and Lite is only about 23$ a bag in SE GA. And well worth the price. After mine eat more than the barn allows, I am to pay for the rest. Right now mine are on a reduced diet so I don't pay extra. If you are in SE GA, check out B&S Feed store in Springfield.

I've been at barns that fed Country Acres. I did supplement mine with supplements there. My horses had no problems with the feed that others called peanut shells. But I prefer the Safe and Lite. I used to feed a higher protein Seminole feed when mine were in hard work and showing.

TC Senior;
    http://www.southernstates.com/catalo...ured-50lb.aspx

Triple Crown feeds are available from Southern States dealers.
    http://www.southernstates.com/StoreL...hAddress=30080

Ash Bros are in Cleveland (I am presuming you are local)
    White County Farmers Exchnge are also in Cleveland and SS dealers.
    Last edited by Equibrit; May. 2, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

We are in North Georigia and Yes Ash brothers is near by, so thats probably part of the reason its such a good price but labels on bags only list ingredients with no actual nutritional %'s and I have emailed company to get details with no luck. The feeds stores sell Buckeye, Cavalor, Southern states, Legends, Nutrena, Manna Pro, Seminole, Triple Crown, Purina. I guess I need to find time to call around but its hard to get to that during feed stor hours since I am working :O(

Try giving Cherokee Feed a call. They're a bit of drive for you since they're over in Cherokee Co., but they're open until 6pm during the week and until 4 on Saturdays. They carry every single brand you mentioned except Purina, and could help point you in a good direction. 770-887-0440
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Triple Crown Senior runs around $23 a bag around here so that might be an option. Buckeye Grow n' Win is obscenely expensive at $40 BUT you feed so little that it lasts as long as two bags of a $20 feed. If your horse needs around 1/2-1lb I would definitely recommend Buckeye.

Triple crown also has a low starch feed that I give my big guy. It's about 21.00 a bag here and I'm in Ga also.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Triple Crown Senior runs around $23 a bag around here so that might be an option. Buckeye Grow n' Win is obscenely expensive at $40 BUT you feed so little that it lasts as long as two bags of a $20 feed. If your horse needs around 1/2-1lb I would definitely recommend Buckeye.
    Grow n Win is not a feed, but a feed balancer. Apples vs Oranges.
    32% Protein
    5% Fat
    13% NSC

Current Seminole
    12% Protein
    12% Fat
    NSC not given.

TC Senior
    14% Protein
    10% Fat
    11.7% NSC
    Plus all the benefits of TC Equimix;
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/horse...horse-products

My guys hate TC Low starch and Lite, and I'm not that happy with all that Soy anyway. They love the Senior.

But - you have to love that Equimix which is in all their feeds, and the reason I use them.
    Last edited by Equibrit; May. 3, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Buckeye also makes other high quality besides Gro N Win. I used their Safe N Easy for years with good results, and it usually runs around $21/bag.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Char0308 View Post
    We are in North Georigia and Yes Ash brothers is near by, so thats probably part of the reason its such a good price but labels on bags only list ingredients with no actual nutritional %'s and I have emailed company to get details with no luck. The feeds stores sell Buckeye, Cavalor, Southern states, Legends, Nutrena, Manna Pro, Seminole, Triple Crown, Purina. I guess I need to find time to call around but its hard to get to that during feed stor hours since I am working :O(
    http://www.whitecountyfarmerscoopexchange.com/feed.php

CONTACT US
    Mailing Address
    White County Farmers Exchange
    P.O. Box 152
    Cleveland, GA 30528
    Physical Address
    White County Farmers Exchange
    951 South Main Street
    Cleveland, GA 30528
    Directions to our store (use Google maps)
    Phone – 706.865.2831
    Fax – 706.865.6113
    Gilbert Barrett, President/CEO
    gibbarrett@gmail.com
    Ext 221
    Jenny Cowart, Administrative Assistant/Purchasing
    jenny.cowart@sscoop.com
    ext 223
    Jenny Butler, Bookkeeping and Accounting
    jsbutler@bellsouth.net
    ext 222
    Jordan Wrenn, Warehouse Manager