The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going rate for farm/pet sitting?

What's the going rate for pet/farm sitting.
    Asking person to feed my dog in the evening, spend the night there in my guest room (make themselves at home). Feed dog and dump grain to three horses in AM and they are done. Actual work time here is about 15 minutes, other than that I just want someone there to keep my dog company. This is a co-worker of mine who doesn't normally horse/farm sit, and I"m out of the loop for a cost on this, any suggestions? this is one night only and won't be a habit, so going high out of appreciation is something I can do.
    thanks

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing--except my chores involve feeding the dog and cats and taking care of 4 free-range chickens (no other livestock currently). And the person who I have in mind could bring her two dogs if she wanted.

I have no idea what to suggest even...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I pay $50 per day for someone to keep my two JRT's company at night and feed them two meals a day. Cheaper and less stressful than kennel.

I also pay $50 a day to stay at my house and watch my two dogs and feed them twice a day. For extended vacations, the house/dog sitter also waters the potted plants and checks the mail.

we pay $45 per feeding... so, with 2 feedings a day, it would be $90 per day. Our (WONDERFUL) sitter feeds 5 horses, barn cats, and 2 dogs.

he usually stays at the house. we also stock the fridge for him with lots of fun stuff to eat. He brings his laundry, and veges out on the Xbox.

He grew up on a dairy farm, so he "gets it"... we just love him and trust him 100%.... well worth the $$$ (and he is soon to get a raise)

Relatively recent thread with almost exact same title here.

I'm in the gulf coast area and I pay my sitter (a certified vet tech) $60/day to stay at my place and care for two horses (including stall cleaning), two dogs, and a cat. I pay another girl $10/day to go to the place where I self-care board my third horse and care for him twice a day (feeding/stall cleaning).

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

I also pay $50 per day for 2 horses, 2 cats and a dawg. No stalls to clean but the horses are pretty high maintenance feed wise at the moment as they are eating soaked hay cubes so it's more work than simply chucking hay over the fence

We have a dog, two cats, 9 chickens, three horses. We have the sitter entertain the dog and do the horse stalls as well as turn in/out, feeding etc. The sitter and her friend are happy with $25 per day; they sleep over too.

I house/pet sit a little bit. I charge $10/animal/day. That includes 2 feedings, stall cleaning, turn out and in, blanketing, any medical needs, walking the dogs if needed. I don't charge anything extra for feeding the barn cats or any birds. I stay over nights, bring in mail and paper, water plants. On the last day I wash the sheets and towels I have used and remake the bed and wash the dishes and put them away.

I pay $45 per day for sitter to sleep over & feed.
    I itemize it this way:
    -sleepover & feed/play with dog & indoor cat $25(includes mail, watering plants)
    -feed 3 ponies 4 x day, blankets, sweep barn hall $20
    Total= $45
    She doesn't do paddocks/stalls, water tubs.
    I pay an extra $12 a day to another person for that.

Grand Total: $57

Ps- she can use whatever food we have, tv, wifi, garden - she considers it a break to leave city apt & come to the country.my dog adores her .She is retired so I book her for all our yearly holidays.

1 members found this post helpful.

We're in New England if it helps..... Our experience ran the gamut with the different care required, and what was negotiated. Recently, I and my DD (who's 17) shared a horse care arrangement, no house sitting, but daily care of 6 horses, 4 stalls, 2x a day feed, turnout & in, paid $50 day for 2 weeks. I did the bulk of it, she did pm weekends while i was at my second job. It worked out very well for both of us. .DD house sat a dog and 2 horses for a week over April vacation, negotiated rate was $50 day for a week. owner paid her the negotiated amount, plus roughly 40% extra because he was so happy with the care. She was one happy teenage girl! As a polar opposite contrast, DD house sat someone's 4 dogs for a holiday weekend, was there from 5pm-8am every day, she didn't listen to me & didn't negotiate the price up front. It was 20 minutes away from our house, and she used her car to get there. There was no food in the house except condiments, no computer, and she was required to launder and remake beds before she left. When the weekend was over, she was offered $10 per night for the enjoyment of sleeping over and playing with the dogs. If you ask me, she lost money on that deal!! It all depends on what you negotiate, and what the care is worth to you.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Relatively recent thread with almost exact same title here.

I'm in the gulf coast area and I pay my sitter (a certified vet tech) $60/day to stay at my place and care for two horses (including stall cleaning), two dogs, and a cat. I pay another girl $10/day to go to the place where I self-care board my third horse and care for him twice a day (feeding/stall cleaning).
    Unless the girl who cares for your self-care horse has other horses or one of her own there or lives nearby...she's doing you a big favor. $10 wouldn't cover getting there IMO.