The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My undergrad curriculum included a fair amount of education courses and I was considering pursuing a degree in educational psychology or something similar. Your thought to get a job teaching THEN begin a team is probably a really valid one... off to investigate more.

Quote Originally Posted by rulex View Post
    And why do you say you are only comfortable up to 2'3? On the right horse, you would probably surprise yourself at what you can do.
    It's mainly what I've had access too. I've jumped up to 3ft on course on good horses to take care of me, but since I spend my entire career switching horses all the time I've never worked at that height consistently.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders12 View Post
    I've jumped up to 3ft on course on good horses to take care of me, but since I spend my entire career switching horses all the time I've never worked at that height consistently.
    Well then you are selling yourself short on your skills In Canada there is a program called the Rider Levels which I understand riders wanting to pursue their coaching certification have to first complete. I sometimes see ads for people looking for horses to do the higher level tests on. If someone completes a test demonstrating they can handle 3ft on a borrowed horse, then I would say that means that is part of their skill set even though they may not do it regularly. In fact, don't kids do the same for the higher Pony Club level tests?

Quote Originally Posted by rulex View Post
    In fact, don't kids do the same for the higher Pony Club level tests?
    Starting at the C-3 we have to show that we are capable of riding a borrowed mount both on the flat and over fences. At the C-3 the owner will jump 3'3", then a switch ride at 3ft. The B jumps at 3'6", the switch at 3'3". The A jumps at 3'9", the switch at 3'6". The flat requirement is similar. At C-3 you must be able to tactfully ride a borrowed mount, the B maintain it's manner of going, the A improve upon it's current manner.

Have actually known some who ran school programs. They had experience working with show barns starting at the bottom and working up and all rode but not at any kind of elite level. They also could keep the books and manage feed ordering, vet schedualing and handle donation paperwork. That part I think you can do if you work at it and dedicate yourself to it without distraction for a few years-and owning a horse would be a distraction in most barns plus you would not make enough to offset board or be able to work enough to swap labor for board in a good show barn. It would help your employment prospects if you considered both Hunt seat and Western barns as that would double your opportunity, many schools run both. I really don't think some of the programs mentioned will help your search for a position...but consider getting your teaching certificate. The more you can offer, the better. Right now I think you have aways to go before you'd be considered amid the many, many applications they get for this type position, but you are young yet and have the time to persue it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.