The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Pinworms

So ... my daughter's pony is rubbing her butt. Started with the tail, last fall, treated with MTG, she stopped rubbing her tail and started rubbing her rear. Fecal count was negative. Cleaned her udder, applied all sorts of creams and ointments. Took the pony to the vet in December. Fecal again negative, but we spotted live worms in fresh manure. Wormed with ivermectin, then again in 3 weeks, then again 3 weeks after that, then another negative fecal (3 weeks later.) Pony is still rubbing her butt and now other members of the herd are tail rubbing. Haven't seen any worms in the poop lately. All look good, bright shiny coats, including the itchy pony. When the vet was here (beginning of April) she mentioned reading something somewhere about doing some kind of wormer anally to kill pinworms. That was as specific as she got. I asked about powerpac, she shrugged. Since then I have called repeatedly, she will not return my calls, and I am going crazy. Pony has no hair on her rear end and has open sores on her anus from rubbing. We are treating these with a wound cream containing a steroid obtained from the vet, but pony is obviously uncomfortable. Has anyone ever heard of using wormer anally for pinworms? If so, what kind? Any other ideas? I don't know why the vet won't call me back, but I thought I might ask around while waiting to hear from her. Thanks for any input.

Have you got gnats or black flies in your area? They will get through the hairs at the top of the tail and cause intense itching. Spraying the area at the tail head and under the tail will prevent this.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

This has been going on all winter, no bugs, not even ticks this past winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    This has been going on all winter, no bugs, not even ticks this past winter.

Maybe she needs her udder cleaned.
    Click here before you buy.

I believe its a 100lb dose of ivermectin inserted anally.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Maybe she needs her udder cleaned.
    As I noted in my original post, that was one of the first things we did. But thank you.

Pinworms are tough because they are developing resistances to some dewormers (according to some vets) and the wormer has to get so far down the digestive tract to impact them.

I'm going to throw out everything I've heard (not saying these all work), and maybe something will help you:
    Power Pak (the 5 day part makes some of the dewormer make it farther down the digestive tract supposedly)
    Doube dose Stronid Paste (supposedly less resistance to this than ivermectin)
    1/10 dose ivermectin anally
    Bath the horse immediately after you worm, and again the next day (including the tail)
    Apply vaseline around the anus multiple times per day so the worms that come out to lay eggs can't get back in.
    Disinfect every surface the horse has rubbed on the day you worm and the next day
    Once you think the infection is clear, put the horse on garlic to make the digestive tract less hospitable to reinfection

Thank you Suckerforhorses and Joiedevie99.

Garlic, really? I've heard of using it, but years and years ago.

I was thinking of trying a powerpac.

lots of good ideas there. Thanks!

FWIW, my gelding was on garlic from Springtime Inc and he still had pinworms that I had to treat with ivermectin
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Do note. Whatever medication you use in whatever order. Dosage is calculated by weight of the horse. In the following link Pyratape P is Brit for pyrantal pamoate, Yankee name. Sellotape is our Scotch tape.

Treatment:
    In addition to orally administering double dose pyratape P wormer, good control of pinworm is achieved by a topical wash and enema. This must be coupled with careful attention to environmental control. Careful disinfection of stables or fence posts where affected horses have been rubbing should be carried out and grooming kits should not be shared.
    After treatment, a repeat sellotape slide should be taken 2 weeks later to ensure egg numbers are reducing or gone. For monitoring after a current infestation has resolved, samples can be made every 6 months for assessment----Parkside Veterinary Group-UK
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

One of mine had pinworms I could NOT get rid of with oral dewormers - for a YEAR. We finally got them under control with a pyrantel enema once a week for a month. I believe we did 5 mg/kg pyrantel each time, mixed with a bag of saline fluids (or LRS? I can't remember). We also applied a little bit of regular pyrantel paste around the anus every day for a month (like 50lb worth on the tube).

Finally heard back from the vet - she wants us to do a Powerpac, give the pony the appropriate dose orally and use what's left in the tube rectally. We will also clean her stall walls. Is a weak bleach solution the right thing for disinfecting? Or should we use Lysol? What about washing the pony, do we need to use an iodine shampoo?
    Last edited by 4cornersfarm; May. 3, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: one more question

I'm not sure that an iodine shampoo is necessary (might be too drying if used on a regular basis), but I wanted to mention other bathing / stall disinfecting points:

When washing the pony, if you don't have a wash stall and you need to use a hose outside, make sure you're away from any patches of grass that might be grazed by another horse. Use an old piece of towel or similar and throw it away afterward. Might be worth it to wear disposable gloves as pinworms can be passed to humans.

When washing a stall, you need to remove organic material (dirt, manure etc) from the stall walls first; use soapy water and a brush to do so. Then you can come back and wash walls with a dilute bleach solution and a rag. I'd wear gloves for that too.

Okay. We finished up the powerpac on Saturday. The day we started I washed the stall walls down with Lysol and a stiff brush. Also gave pony a bath (just her back end, tail and dock, because it was freezing cold!) Used the powerpac as suggested by my vet, and pony is no longer scratching her butt. It's only been a couple of days though, so we're still in wait and see mode, but it looks good. Hoping this worked.