The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I make myself stick out any more?

So I am a 20-something thick-waisted ammie wannabe eventer riding a former Amish carthorse (the big chestnut in profile pic). We already stick out like a sore thumb.
    AND my dressage tack is brown.
    AND I was wanting to wear cream breeches.

...would a navy blue with light blue collar/piping coat completely push us over the edge? Half of me says what the heck, it's my hobby, let me enjoy it...the other half doesn't want to get laughed out of the ring.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

What are you talking about? Your horse is beautiful. My trainer, a former eventer, rode a GIANT Belgian named Big John. Quit apologizing and ride like the devil!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

9 members found this post helpful.

Who cares!? I ride an Arab... He's awesome and I love him to death. I rather enjoy showing up the people who try to tell me Arabs can't do this or that. My boy will go to the ends of the earth to do what I ask of him. Sure, we run into the occasional idiot, but usually people wind up thinking he's pretty cool. We certainly don't sneak in under the radar anywhere, but who cares!? Let 'em talk.

3 members found this post helpful.

black tack became a fad in the 80s brown has been around forever the blue coat and cream breeches sounds lovely
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

9 members found this post helpful.

Your color scheme sounds perfect for a chestnut. No sore thumb at all. Go for it!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

Your horse is GORGEOUS...and the cream/blue combo is about as classic as it comes. You'll be beautiful!

Now...go ride that amazing horse!

Sounds fabulous!
    I show an App (and no-solid colored App neither!...Check out the profile pic), with silver grey breeches since white looks ICK on me (and I couldn't keep them clean to save my life anyway) and for more formal shows, have a black jacket with a silver suede collar that matches the breeches. Oh and one of those cool One K helmets with the retractable visor... very handy on sunny days in the warm-up area!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Thanks, everyone, for the fashion advice.
    Also glad to see I'm not the only one out there because I love it. (Definitely not out there because I'm good at it!) I love my horse, and I personally think he's gorgeous...I'm proud to ride him! I just know he's not the norm.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am an eventer, too. I ride my dressage tests in canary yellow breeches, navy coat and black gloves. My other outfit is cream breeches, navy coat, cream stock tie and cream gloves. My saddle and boots are black. I think the navy and cream are quite elegant! I use those for recognized events and the canary for unrecognized.

I believe that brown tack would look fine with cream, too, especially since brown goes well with your guy.

What are your cross country colors?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Oh and I ride in brown tack too (an unpopular ancient Stubben!). On my dark bay Arab. If it fits, is neat and tidy, rock it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Dittos what everyone else has said! You and the hoss look great! Beautiful horse! I don't see the thick waist, though.

I wear navy (coat) and cream (breeches, shirt/stock, saddle pad) too. I'm older, and stark white looks BAD on me. And my horse is chestnut, too.

Look, someone in my area is selling a 197-something horse van. It's a giant, red Imperator type model. If I can afford it and it's in decent shape I'm buying it. And I'm thinking that I'll detail it in Rasta colors with a big old Bob Marley on it or something (unQuakerly I know).

Go big or go home!
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

11 members found this post helpful.

Auburn, our XC colors are navy with a touch of orange (what can I say, I went to Clemson, orange is a necessity). I try not to emphasize the orange too much or pony really looks like a giant pumpkin.
    Paula, that sounds fantastic!

Paula,
    Please serve Roti and Ting out the back, will ya?????? :-)

6 members found this post helpful.

Who are you kiddin?

THe judge couldnt even pronounce the horse Im ridings "breed". I think its in to confuse everyone, care about your pony, and only listen to supporive effective people now days
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Your horse is gorgeous! And you are in good company! My main squeeze is an off the track Standardbred- so talk about fish out of water! My up and coming guy is a half Arab...I seem to be attracted to the unconventional mounts!

Stick out like a sore thumb and *own it!!* Who wants to blend in anyway? I sure don't!! I ride a non-WB and fully intend to show up at shows in as much pink, bedazzled cr*p as I can, because that's who I am. Do what makes you happy, wear what makes you happy, be yourself, enjoy that beautiful horse of yours, be the best rider and horseperson you can be, and the vast majority of people will ultimately respect you. And if anybody has a problem with it...well, it's their problem to deal with, not yours! Anyway, I think (or want to think) that dressage is becoming more welcoming and inclusive and accepting of differences. Maybe I'm naive but I swear I see it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Default SEND ME A LINK!

When you find the Navy coat with light blue piping that comes in LONG LONG sleeves, would you mind posting a link?
    I ride a chestnut with brown tack, brown boots, a black helmet, white gloves, white breeches, and a pad that's white with brombeer and gold trim (a homage to his Cadre Noir heritage)
    Right now I wear a dark grey pikeur coat, but I'd love a navy and light blue coat.
    The people that WANT to blend in are the ones afraid they have nothing to show off :-)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm wanting a navy coat, just to stick out from the sea of black! And my horse is a bay. Screw convention!

Speaking from experience, I wore a navy jacket on my chestnut QH and got so many wonderful compliments. That was over 10 years ago, and I imagine that other colors are more acceptable now. As long as you look put together, that's all that counts!

Whi is on your horse in your peofile picture? It certainly isn't thick-waisted you!

What breed is your gelding? I think he's very handsome . No fashion adice from me - I'm clueless.