The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you PM me I can put your pictures up somewhere.

So he will trot into a gymnastic and canter after? Will he maintain a canter after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishodyssey View Post
    Yes, I totally agree about the dressage part! I'm 15 and going intermediate!
    Just so you know, the rules require you be 16 to run intermediate.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    He/she can be 15 and run intermediate....as long as the rider turns 16 in that competition year.

Whether the OP is telling us the truth or not, if what you say is true, that is a pretty stupid rule...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

To all of you, I have done a prelim/intermediate and am signed up for my first whole intermediate right after bromont

Correct(:

Yeah... I know haha? I guess technically I've done a prelim/intermediate, then a 1* where I placed second, and next I'm doing bromont 1*, and then my first complete intermediate! But thanks for trying to make me look like a bs, no nothing liar

2 members found this post helpful.

To all of you, I have done a prelim/intermediate and am signed up for my first whole intermediate right after bromont

Good luck! You will have a blast at Bromont. XC there is WORTH the drive Really fun event and beautiful location.... And it is a great prep before moving up!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

OP have fun at Bromont! Good luck

Hey STB aficionados- question for ya'll.

So while reading this thread I realized I was completely unfamiliar with STBs competing in FEI type disciplines, the one I've come across have been pleasure horses. In light of the "bad canter" remarks, I went on youtube and searched "standardbred dressage." After viewing about 20 or so videos, I saw a lot of very lateral canters.

My question is how much can the lateral tendencies be improved? I am honestly curious. I like race horses in general and STBs seem like nice doers.

Can someone post a vid of one that's been retrained by someone who knows what they're doing? I'll admit that what I saw on youtube, the majority of the horses were being ridden by non-pros, so perhaps my observance is skewed.

This vid has the best canter I came across, nice jumper too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWY...2B699CB3016ACC

TIA

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! That's what I've heard! We are getting very fit for preparation!(:

That is a gorg canter! I'll post a video of my standardbred on YouTube!! Actually there may be one from his owner (my friend) label "Taylor made the amazing standardbred"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    This vid has the best canter I came across, nice jumper too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWY...2B699CB3016ACC
    He is really cute!

http://youtu.be/fkUmfs8gMjo
    Taylor and his owner jumping into the empty water jump

http://youtu.be/fkUmfs8gMjo
    Taylor and his owner jumping into the empty water jump

He's cute...and there were a few strides of canter there. It would be worth it for her to go get some help with someone who has worked with this issue (and likes these horses). It may just take her some time---she just has to remind herself to put the time in now and it will pay off.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

http://youtu.be/0sTeA1qiP9A
    Taylor over a placement pole! Sorry I have like no videos!

Teach him to canter next to another horse..and the praise is important. Mind he is shod well, too. Today the modern Standardbred pacer is really bred with a perfect pace -- used to be they had to really work to "gait" them but anymore they are born pacing. This propensity is hard to work around but with time and attention it can be done. Most standardbreds are good jumpers -- and they are very hard workers and try hard to please. there have been several good eventing Standardbreds, including one that completed Radnor ** back when it was classic format too. Blue Sky.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thanks

Honestly, I do not know the full answer just yet. I have a pacer I am retraining with the help of my trainer. He's been in work for a year and 3 months- and now, finally, I get a true canter to the left...not totally there yet to the right, but it is coming. But it has taken a ton of work, and continues to be a lot of work!

The key has been to soften his body- get him working through the back. Use trot poles- lift lift lift, soften soften soften. Leg yields, spirals- get those legs underneath him, and fluid moving. And then canter- going for quality. Chasing him into or during the canter just makes for a lateral canter, stiff as a board. And for my guy, doing walk-to-canter comes much easier. He's just now getting better trot-canter transitions- he can maintain the quality without getting lateral...a year later.

You can see his progression over the past year here: http://changeofpaceotsb.blogspot.com...ogression.html

I don't have any recent video, but hopefully will soon, so I can begin the 2013 Progression, lol. Haven't started him over fences just yet so no clue how good he'll be, but that is the plan this summer once we move to our new barn.

Yes, see I think your guy
    Looks great! And the canter he had at week 2 would be enough for me haha! I think that he actually may not be physically able to canter because he trys but even in the field on his own can only keep the true canter for a few steps before frantically cross cantering, even under saddle when he is soft and happily engaging at the trot! Ugh so frustrating

The little stb. i had didn't want to canter and he was on the track for a very short time. it just wasn't natural to him. he wound up being a fantastic competitive trail horse. it just didn't seem right to post him in a direction that he wasn't comfortable with.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid