The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breast plate for broad shouldered horse

We currently use Five Star Tack's 3 point breastplate. It's a great product, but it is rubbing our horse on his chest. Plus we'll need to replace the d-ring strap.

We'd like to buy a 5point breastplate. When we tried the Nunn Finer, it was too small for our horse's shoulders, even on the loosest hole. He's not a huge horse, just 16hh, but I believe his QH blood kicked in when it came to shoulders!

We're now looking at a breastplate by "Team Fredericks" sold by Southern Stars Saddelry. Here's a link to it: http://usstore.southernstarssaddlery...5-point-1.html

Does anyone have this breastplate? Any other advice in terms of a breastplate that would fit a more broad shoulder horse? He's still small for the oversize or draft option usually offered.

If you managed to read through this whole post, my thanks to you. Would love any and all advice! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

My guy is very broad through his shoulders, but he's also 17.2 so fortunately the oversized nunn finer 5 point works for us. Have you looked at the Amerigo 5 point breastplates? They're configured a bit differently than the other 5 points and might be worth a look.
    http://www.tackroominc.com/amerigo-c...te-p-7122.html

1 members found this post helpful.

My girl is 17.2 and a draft cross and the oversized Nunn Finer 5-point worked for us with room to spare. I like the removable (read washable) fleece at the pressure points.

Bartville harness makes the flat tack tor Nunn Finer. Tell them what measurements you need and they will make it for you at 2/3 of the NF price. They are Amish so they only answer the phone between 8 and 8:15

Let me also say that the breastplates made by a Bartville for Nunn Finer tend to run a bit small. When I asked them about what size to get for my horse they recommended anything over 16 hands go to oversize. I second-guessed them and went ahead and bought a horse-sized breastplate for my 16.2 hand thoroughbred and lo and behold it's too small. Shame on me.

Breastcollar - Victory Canter

I have a huge chested Quarter Horse and I use this. I love the Nunn Finer but just like you it ran small on my horse.

I have two Nunn Finers. The Jumper Breastplate: http://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-...te-p/32-33.htm
    and their all purpose elastic breast plate: http://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-...plate-p/84.htm

My horse has big shoulders (Saddlebred x Percheron) and the jumper breast plate was too small for him, so I switched to the elastic one and it fits him great with room for adjustability. Hope this helps.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pseefc952a.jpg
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

I like this one, which is also a bit different and the elastic helps: http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Amigo-B...098-sera6a.htm
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I got the HDR 5 point in horse size and it is GENEROUS. Across the shoulders I probably have the straps on almost the smallest holes. I would give it a try and on the major plus side, its under $100! (and very good quality for that price)

Is the rubbing coming from the chest piece sitting too high?

I had a heck of a time finding a breastplate that fit my horse, and ended up with a Prestige 5-point and had to have the centre portion that stretches down to his girth between his front legs shortened by about 8", or it would have been up in his wind.

I couldn't find a breastplate that had the correct proportions, and if that's the case with you, perhaps find one that fits his biggest feature, and shorten the other bits? Good luck!
    The plural of anecdote is not data

BTW, I got both of mine off of eBay at good prices. The latter of which was very gently used.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses