The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do the self cleaing litter boxes work? Recommendations?

OK here's the deal... we have a new cat... about a year old was un-neutered male cat. He now is neutered and vaccinated, about 2 weeks out. His urine and feces STINK!!!!!! The vet explained that it will take maybe up to 2 months or so for the smell to reduce in his urine.

Handsome (yes that is his name... story if anybody wants it) is good about using the litter box, but the smell is so noxious... even with the door mostly closed and the fan on.

I don't want to ban him from the house for two months. I was thinking that an automatic litter box my do the trick because the offending smell can quickly be contained. Compared to if he goes after I'm asleep and don't discover it till the next AM.

So... will a self cleaning litter box work for Handsome? If you think that might be the ticket do you have any recommendations for brand? Is there anything else that might work?

Thanks in advance!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Short of the litter boxes that actually tie in to your plumbing, a self cleaning litter box won't help matters. They just SCOOP. They don't dispose. So the pee clumps and the poop will still be there, just not in the box.

I have found the Blue Buffalo litter AMAZING for smell control, so I'd give that a go.

The litter robot works great, the urine clumps & poop are sealed in a drawer.
    http://www.litter-robot.com/
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I have found the Blue Buffalo litter AMAZING for smell control, so I'd give that a go.
    I keep seeing you praise this litter. I have been inspired to try some for the next round of litter. I know the local place sells it, which is great. My cats seem to like clay though, or maybe just didn't like World's Best.

I loved our self-cleaning litter box! However, I have since learned that the clumping type of litter required might cause health problems...something to look into.
    That said, while I really loved the way the litter box scooped up the 'stuff' and stored it in a tray, it did not last long. We have multiple cats and the urine somehow managed to corrode the circuit control board. If I were to invest in another self-cleaning box, I would open it up and coat the circuit board with the same stuff that is used to protect the electronics in my truck from a harsh environment.

I have a lotta cats, and I have both the Cat Genie and the Litter Robot. LOVE them!

The Robot's drawer has a charcoal filter, and it really does contain the odor well. The Genie flushes it all, so no smell there either, but with both there's about a 10 min delay between use and the start of a cycle.

Neither are cheap to buy, but are cheap and easy to use so I consider it money well spent

Tried one, didn't like it. Didn't work that well and with 3 cats, they didn't all want to share nicely...went back to 3 litterboxes and the cats are happier.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I keep seeing you praise this litter. I have been inspired to try some for the next round of litter. I know the local place sells it, which is great. My cats seem to like clay though, or maybe just didn't like World's Best.
    When I switched, I kept one box clay and one box Blue Buffalo for some time--maybe a month? Until I ran out of clay. There was DEFINITELY equal use, but I have four kitties so it's possible than one was unhappy with the BB and was using only clay for a time. I have all four on BB now with no problems. If you're worried about your kitties not liking it, I would switch gradually. Especially with a just former tom cat with super stinky stuff. Gawd, that would be terrible to have outside of the box

I honestly NEVER thought I'd convert from my Dr Esley's Precious Cat Ultra clay litter, but heard a lot of praise of the BB on this site and figured I'd try it. It does not clump quite as hard as clay, but certainly clumps hard enough to scoop, simply DOES NOT SMELL, seems to be more absorbent than clay (I feel like I'm throwing away less volume each day) and the fact it's so light is really nice.

I also used World's Best for a time and while I liked the lightness of it, I found that it REEKED after a few days, even with very regular scooping. Not even like cat piss, more like vomit. I did not last long with World's Best.

When I switched, I kept one box clay and one box Blue Buffalo for some time--maybe a month? Until I ran out of clay. There was DEFINITELY equal use, but I have four kitties so it's possible than one was unhappy with the BB and was using only clay for a time. I have all four on BB now with no problems. If you're worried about your kitties not liking it, I would switch gradually. Especially with a just former tom cat with super stinky stuff. Gawd, that would be terrible to have outside of the box

I honestly NEVER thought I'd convert from my Dr Esley's Precious Cat Ultra clay litter, but heard a lot of praise of the BB on this site and figured I'd try it. It does not clump quite as hard as clay, but certainly clumps hard enough to scoop, simply DOES NOT SMELL, seems to be more absorbent than clay (I feel like I'm throwing away less volume each day) and the fact it's so light is really nice.

I also used World's Best for a time and while I liked the lightness of it, I found that it REEKED after a few days, even with very regular scooping. Not even like cat piss, more like vomit. I did not last long with World's Best.
    Checked out their website- http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/free-bag-rebate/ :-)

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    Heh. You couldn't get me to use World's Best again if you PAID ME. Free isn't good enough

2 members found this post helpful.

Heh. You couldn't get me to use World's Best again if you PAID ME. Free isn't good enough
    oops... I googled the wrong one! Must get sleep and try again ;-)

That's what happens as I'm trying to research with a child hanging off of my arm going "mommy...mommy... mommy..."

I've tried the cheaper auto littler cleaners and hate them. Might have to check into the Robot deal, but that is so expensive for just one cat!

My mom uses the Blue Buffalo litter as well and she loves it! The dark color kind of freaks me out. Its just pricey and can't afford it currently. I may eventually switch.

I use fresh step carbon with extreme odor control and I love it! It works great! Even the non extreme odor control works great as well.

Worlds best cat litter is the absolute worst. It reeks. Gross!

I used the wheat litter for awhile and I did like that, but truthfully I love fresh step better. I have 3 cats and no smell!

3 indoor cats, 2 Litter Maid automatic litter boxes, and no problems with smell. Even had a repair guy in the house say "gosh I didn't know you had cats... I can usually smell that"....

I can leave for a weekend and not worry - Love it!
    Inese

The Cat Genie has one of the best reviews ever:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R32RN0APNFZAUM
    You are what you dare.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm afraid my cats would take one look at the self-cleaning ones and go "DEMON! STAY AWAY FROM ME!" and never go near it.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    oops... I googled the wrong one! Must get sleep and try again ;-)

That's what happens as I'm trying to research with a child hanging off of my arm going "mommy...mommy... mommy..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkp4QF3we8

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm afraid my cats would take one look at the self-cleaning ones and go "DEMON! STAY AWAY FROM ME!" and never go near it.
    One of mine (who I also thought would be wigged out) likes to watch the Genie work. She sits and stares at it like it's cat tv The Robot initially got a startled look or two, but now they ignore it.

For both of them, by the time the thing runs the cats are usually well away from it anyway.

My cats LOVED their Litter Maid litter pan to the point that it became a game to jump in and out of it just to make it run. They burned through that sucker in about 3 months. While it was funny watching the stampedes to the litter box every time they heard it start moving, we did not replace it. I am sure it would work better with a less obnoxious fur herd than I have.

This cat is a character and a half... I could see him thinking the litter box was a toy! My son told my parents, "Handsome bit my toe at night and scratched my foot in the morning." I'm sure they were thinking we have some sort of wild beast... he's just very playful and thinks anything that moves... like feet at night... is fair game!