The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pump question- how fast is GPH ?

I assume it means "gallons per hour" but how do I know what is "fast" or not. Is there anything to compare it to?

How many GPH is a normal garden hose? How many GPH would be nice to be able to bathe a horse with decent pressure?

That is subjective because it depends on how much water you like to use and what diameter hose you are using, but one easy way to calculate it is to get a gallon container, turn on your hose to a pressure you like to use to bathe your horse and time how long it takes to fill the gallon container. Or to make the math easier, fill up a container for exactly 30 seconds or one minute (depending on how large your container is), and you will know how many gallons per minute you will need. I have only heard of wells being measured in gallons per minute, but it's just a math difference.

I just did this because my well is not a very high producer and I wondered if it will be sufficient for my needs. My memory is so bad -- I just did this about three days ago -- but I think I came up with about only a gallon and a half a minute being a nice pressure -- again, I can't really remember except that my well will be fine. I used the faucet in my laundry room and filled a gallon container. Good luck.

You can check with the county offices and see what are their minimums. When we lived in VA, the minimum for our county was 2.5 g/min. That is a pretty low rate.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I assume it means "gallons per hour" but how do I know what is "fast" or not. Is there anything to compare it to?

?
    one gallon per hour = just over 2 oz per minute

at 1GHP it would take just about six minutes to fill a 12 oz can

Your kitchen faucet most likely flows around 2 gpm.

(Clearly that is a generalization not taking into account local flows/pressure/low flow faucets, etc.)

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Out of a 3/4" water hose, normal size is 5/8, I like at least 7 gpm. GPH is a pretty weird measure for hose flow. Not over 4 or 5 gpm, and I'd use a 5/8 hose. Flow and pressure at the faucet is varied some at the end of a hose, so if you have less than 5 gpm, there is too much pressure drop for my taste at the end of a 3/4 hose. For me, more flow rate is better.

Time how long it takes for any hose to fill up a five gallon bucket, and you can figure what your flow rate is.

Gph is indeed an odd measurement. In this area, a decent well flow is 7-10 gallons per minute (gpm). A really great one is 20 gpm, which would be 120 gph. Context?

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Gph is indeed an odd measurement. In this area, a decent well flow is 7-10 gallons per minute (gpm). A really great one is 20 gpm, which would be 120 gph. Context?
    1200 GPH

ROFL, airhorse, thank you! Stupid zeroes.