The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Some people are so cruel. I hope I never have to cross paths with someone with this much evil in their bones. Stealing some ones pet and butchering it? Chainsaws? Trunking?

How terribly sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    An assumption without proof??? Have you read the news stories on this subject? Believe me, not only have I read all the many, many articles in the Miami Herald, watched all the local news stories on it, seen the CNN coverage on it a few years ago, I LIVE it. We horse owners down here have been pretty scared for the past several years because, yes, ALL those animals in the news were stolen and then butchered alive. With a chainsaw.

The illegal slaughterhouses are a whole separate issue of which I am well aware. Go to the Animal Recovery Mission's website and you can see videos of them. Yes, they are a major problem in and of themselves, but people stealing horses and chainsaw-ing their legs off is the issue we're discussing here.

You have proof then that only stolen horses are butchered?
    If you do, I stand corrected.

And I really don't put too much stock into the 'butchered alive with a chainsaw' stories. Not a heck of a lot of horses are that calm, and they usually lose that calm once the first leg is cut off! (I would guess they kill them with the 'knife to the neck' method, since they obviously not shoot them, they'd be stupid, on top of criminal to cut legs off life horses!)

Now, if you would care to put the hysterics to bed, there is not a single doubt anywhere that it is really a royal suck fest for these people to steal horses and dismember them in this fashion.

It stands to reason that the customer base did not go on a nearly year long fast and suddenly discovered they love for horse meat again! Maybe they ran out of freebies from the track!

And Yes, you do have my thoughts on your side, my prayers and jingles! That should not be something a person has to fear! Not unlike those German folks, finding their horses stabbed in a horrible fashion a while back (without the smidgeon of benefit of providing food for somebody, just slashed horses).

And I hope that they catch and prosecute the responsible parties!

But those stories fly in the face of 'we don't eat horse'. Obviously somebody does.

Anyhow, may your shotgun be loaded and ready should those 'its' darken the pasture your horse dwells on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Well, they're related in the fact that a LOT of people around here have zero respect for animals. It's so disheartening.
    Clearly have no respect for PEOPLE, either, if they are sadistic enough to leave someone's beloved animal there in pieces for them to find. sick.

Alagirl, I suggest you read some of the articles available on the subject. A few years ago there was something like 17 horses STOLEN and butchered alive. CNN even covered it. No hysterics here, just telling it like it is.

How would I have proof that *only* stolen horses are butchered? Every.single news story that I have seen (and there have been many, many articles in the paper, lots of stories on multiple local news channels) have been on stolen horses.

And if you doubt how they were killed, I believe Animal Recovery Mission has video showing an actual carcass or two. At least, they used to. Yep, horse carcass with no legs. IIRC, there may have been a few horses who had their throats slit as well (think I remember reading that somewhere), but mainly they were butchered alive.

There's unfortunately not much anyone can do to protect their horses. :-/ Of course, the farm is locked up tight, the girl who lives there I believe has a gun, we have several big barn dogs, I keep my horse's halter locked up, etc. I wish we had cameras, flood lights, an alarm system, and a fleet of full-time ninjas. But the sad truth is these people have stolen and killed horses all over Miami-Dade as well as up into Broward. They even butchered a mare whose foal was by her side--the owners found the foal trying to nurse off the mother's carcass. Clearly, they're heartless.

8 members found this post helpful.

Here's the ARM Youtube channel -- http://www.youtube.com/user/kudo2020?feature= I don't really care to go through and find one of the specific videos, as it's just too disturbing. I would warn everyone that there is some pretty graphic stuff on a lot of those videos.

I will second everything Frizzle has said. I live many hours north of her, but she is right about the details. The horses that make the news are all stolen. From what I've seen , they seem to have all been in good health and well-cared for. Perhaps that is what these sickos look for.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Alagirl, the horses have been stolen EVERY. TIME. This is documented FACT. It has been documented OVER. AND. OVER. AGAIN. Fox News tactics don't work on this one, sister.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You have proof then that only stolen horses are butchered?
    If you do, I stand corrected.

And I really don't put too much stock into the 'butchered alive with a chainsaw' stories. Not a heck of a lot of horses are that calm, and they usually lose that calm once the first leg is cut off! (I would guess they kill them with the 'knife to the neck' method, since they obviously not shoot them, they'd be stupid, on top of criminal to cut legs off life horses!)

Now, if you would care to put the hysterics to bed, there is not a single doubt anywhere that it is really a royal suck fest for these people to steal horses and dismember them in this fashion.

It stands to reason that the customer base did not go on a nearly year long fast and suddenly discovered they love for horse meat again! Maybe they ran out of freebies from the track!

And Yes, you do have my thoughts on your side, my prayers and jingles! That should not be something a person has to fear! Not unlike those German folks, finding their horses stabbed in a horrible fashion a while back (without the smidgeon of benefit of providing food for somebody, just slashed horses).

And I hope that they catch and prosecute the responsible parties!

But those stories fly in the face of 'we don't eat horse'. Obviously somebody does.

Anyhow, may your shotgun be loaded and ready should those 'its' darken the pasture your horse dwells on!
    I don't see this incident as "flying in the face of we don't eat horse" at all! What I see is a scum of the earth type who obviously has no regard for the life of an animal. I also doubt they "went on a year long fast" and just up and decide they wanted some horse steak. And why should Frizzle prove that only stolen horses are slaughtered in this fashion? We ARE talking about stolen horses in this thread, not slaughter, not whether we eat horses or not, we are talking about the theft and brutal slaying of horses in the Miami/Dade area, no?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I truly hope Karma catches up with these people and returns the favor.

It's a shame when one or two long time posters get so stuck on one topic (legal horse slaughter) that they try to drag it into every thread, whether it's appropriate or not.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

11 members found this post helpful.

I grew up just across Alligator Ally from these places in question. Sadly it has been going on long before it gained media attention long long before.

There is a large cultural demand for horse meat in that region. You can't buy it in a grocery and frankly the black market prices make it temping and worth the risk to the criminal element.

My neighbor growing up was a German woman married to a Cuban man. They owned a small farm chickens , ducks , goats , pigs and bred paso fino horses. They never had an old horse a lame horse or a cull horse. His family would drive across the ally and pick them up. Naively as a little girl I thought they were going to some green field for "retirement"..as a young adult she explained to me that Mr.D's family were raised consuming horse and it had cultural relevance to them.

Perhaps if it was available in grocery's the draw to the black market element involved would be less. I believe the black market seedy cooler price was last reported by ARM to be something like 20 plus dollars a lb.

Its not simply sadistic asshats killing and dismembering horses for fun , its asshats doing it to supply a VERY large black market demand for it in that area. Its not just stolen horses there are plenty of craigslist freebies and OTTB failouts from the surrounding tracks that are also being processed on back ally roads.

ARM has done a great job getting the media involved but does just as much discredit turning every horse carcass they find discarded off a dirt road into a Nancy Drew mystery.
    Last edited by Lynnwood; May. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Alagirl, the horses have been stolen EVERY. TIME. This is documented FACT. It has been documented OVER. AND. OVER. AGAIN. Fox News tactics don't work on this one, sister.
    The horses that make the news have been stolen.

That is why they make the news.
    but that is a far cry from proclaiming only stolen horses are butchered.

I know, I know 'We' do not eat horse....but the 'We' in the US is much larger than the middle aged female city dweller with disposable income to play dress up with horses. To assume that the whole of the country shares your values is ignorant at best. As a matter of fact, I understand that a lot of peple do not give a rat's behind if it's beef or cheval, as long as it's sold as such.

but then again there is that underlying racial issue, the moral superiority over 'them there people' who eat horse. Since they are all predominately brown and not 'like us'

Just enjoy your prohibition....I guess you live far enough away from Florida, not having to worry your horse being stolen instead of looking into meaningful measures that would cut the criminal underbelly out.

4 members found this post helpful.

So Lynwood, I suppose your answer is "if only selling horsemeat was legal, this wouldn't happen." First of all, I doubt it, stealing is stealing. The criminals could BUY a horse and have it slaughtered and then just sell the meat illegally. But no, they're STEALING them.

Secondly, there are a lot of things we haven't made legal because people are going to do it anyway...like dog fighting and cock fighting.

I can't imagine walking out to my pasture to find one of my horses butchered. I feel so sorry for the owners.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't care about cultural differences. Their horse is their business as long as the slaughter doesn't violate any laws. Stealing a beloved pet and slaughtering it in the owner's yard for them to find is brutal and cruel. What is difficult to understand about that?
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    .as a young adult she explained to me that Mr.D's family were raised consuming horse and it had cultural relevance to them.
    Never met a single Cuban who ate horsemeat in Cuba....perhaps they obtained that culture being in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So Lynwood, I suppose your answer is "if only selling horsemeat was legal, this wouldn't happen." First of all, I doubt it, stealing is stealing. The criminals could BUY a horse and have it slaughtered and then just sell the meat illegally. But no, they're STEALING them.

Secondly, there are a lot of things we haven't made legal because people are going to do it anyway...like dog fighting and cock fighting.

I can't imagine walking out to my pasture to find one of my horses butchered. I feel so sorry for the owners.
    No Laura I'm saying the incentive to do it is because of supply and demand. There is a large cultural demand in that area with no legal supply. If there was a small legal processor the price would not be so astronomical and such and incentive for people to steal horses to turn a quick dollar.

Don't hear about many chicken theft/mass slaughter for consumption do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Never met a single Cuban who ate horsemeat in Cuba....perhaps they obtained that culture being in Miami.
    Then you must not know much about Cuban culture.

"When it comes to eating horse meat, Miami-Dade police may be facing a cultural issue. While horse meat may not be common American fare, some restaurants serve it because it is sweeter and less fatty, Couto told USA Today. Several European nations consider it a delicacy and in Central and it is widely eaten. In fact, in beef is rarely found, and a plate of tasajo, cured horse meat, is a common dish.Jaime Suchlick -Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies at the , told USA Today that it's possible much of the demand for horse meat may connected to Cubans immigrating to South Florida."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2781361.html

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I don't care about cultural differences. Their horse is their business as long as the slaughter doesn't violate any laws. Stealing a beloved pet and slaughtering it in the owner's yard for them to find is brutal and cruel. What is difficult to understand about that?
    Where has ANYONE disagreed with it being illegal and cruel.

The conflict comes when you attempt to say "it happens because there is high profit being made and that is attracting the scumbags doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Except for the people stealing the horses, we are in 100% agreement.

But hand wringing and crying won't fix the problem.

And it serves as reminder to some fols that there is indeed a market for horse meat in the US. Just no legal supply....

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    You can get free horses on CL. Do you really think the thugs that would steal a horse and slaughter it rather than go get a free horse, would buy a horse/get a free one and take it to an abattoir to be humanely put down and slaughtered?

The fake vagina comment is just weird. Are you drunk?

I find this rude and hurtful. Maybe the person has an alcoholic in their family and that could cause them personal pain. Perhaps this thread should be closed down and perhaps you should be given a moderator warning due to your choice of words. Worse than name calling.