The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I doubt they have a horse trailer to go get a free horse. Which is why they will steal one, lead it off and slaughter it right there, taking the meat they want.
    Exactly.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

It doesn't matter what ethnicity these people are, what matters is that they are caught and punished, harshly. It's against the law.

And by punished harshly, I mean slashing their throats and letting them bleed out 100 feet from their home . (sorry, it pisses me off and it's murder to me to take a pet and slaughter it - I don't care what they do in other cultures).

5 members found this post helpful.

ReSomething, thank you for the information.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I believe this is a personal attack on Alagirl and I am requesting the thread be closed and a warning be issued.
    I believe that I have enough verbal dexterity, that if I wanted to personally attack someone, there would be absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that an attack took place. Your quoted thread wasn't one, by a long shot. I wouldn't attack someone that has "member of boxed wine clique" in their signature, by asking if they were drunk. It would be neither insulting or much of an attack, and might possibly be answered proudly in the affirmative.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    ReSomething, thank you for the information.
    Yes - Thank you. It is nice to read information from someone who has first hand knowledge and participates in the activity being discussed. This is what I read COTH for.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Unfortunately, trunking is not selling meat out of the trunk of your car.

Trunking = Dog fighting.

One of the most barbaric forms of animal cruelty has an underbelly which for years has remained literally hidden in darkness: “Trunking” is dog fighting’s ugly secret.

“It’s just that taboo,” Tio Hardiman, a Chicago-based, dog fighting consultant to the Humane Society of the United States.

Capt. Steve Shatkin of the New Jersey SPCA described trunking to Pet Pulse at the state’s headquarters in New Brunswick.

“Two dogs will be thrown, literally, into the trunk of a car like this,” Shatkin said, pointing to a mid-sized car in NJSPCA’s parking lot. “(The) trunk is closed, and the operators either drive around for a set period of time, or just leave them in there with the trunk closed.”

“And after a certain time, open the trunk, and the best man left is standing. And it’s a bloody mess in there, and that’s how they declare a winner.”

The carcass of the defeated dog is typically tossed to the side of the road, says Hardiman, who also is a pit bull advocate.

“Once in a while I’ve seen it, OK?” Hardiman said. “I know some guys may have put some dogs in a trunk. They fought, and then the next thing you know they turned the music up real loud — for about 15 minutes, maybe 30 minutes.

“And then you open up the trunk, one of the dogs might be dead, the other one might be mangled up.”
    http://thegrip.wordpress.com/2008/08...s-dark-secret/

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/03...lled-trunking/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Did you get spanked by the Mods, Leo, and now you're peeved?

Back to the original topic, I don't think it matters what the ethnicity is in regards to whoever did/does these types of crimes. Fact of the matter is, sickos are out there and will probably do this again. Very sad.
    No..I wasn't but others are getting reported almost everytime they post or make a point. AND it is the same little group who want to end all debate..right or wrong...so I am doing up front what others are doing behind the scene

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    "
    ETA Shutting down the unapproved slaughter facilities would help too, there are loads of statutes on the books for that.
    Sadly for this particular element shutting down unapproved slaughter houses ins't going to curtail it much. A large portion of these stolen horses in that area are not moved far off property and butchered on sight.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

1 members found this post helpful.

No..I wasn't but others are getting reported almost everytime they post or make a point. AND it is the same little group who want to end all debate..right or wrong...so I am doing up front what others are doing behind the scene
    No one wants to end discussion. The "name" calling is tiresome and really interferes with discussion.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

I don't know where you get the idea that the 'same little group' (I suspect you are pointing your finger at the anti-slaughter supporters) are reporting anyone. The only ones I can see wanting to get threads locked down are those who continue to derail every discussion with their anti-anything-animal-welfare BS.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I've said it a couple of times now. Just ignore "Those Who Shall Not Be Named." Don't respond, don't quote. It really will work.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Wow Laura. There are times I am glad I am a bit naive to this sort of thing. Is there nothing better for people to spend their free time doing?

And Lynnwood you are correct in regards to the horses being killed and butchered on the spot, facilities be damned. Ranchers have frequently enough encountered butchered cattle right up close to the road, IIRC it was happening every so often in CA.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    And Lynnwood you are correct in regards to the horses being killed and butchered on the spot, facilities be damned.
    It makes sense it would happen close by because I'm guessing as someone else pointed out, the perpetrators are not going to have the means to transport a horse, but I'm also thinking they may not even have horse handling skills so the less time they have to spend with a live horse the better.

I hope this is serious enough for law enforcement to set up a sting and make some arrests. I would be panicking if I lived in an area where this was happening and would instantly move my horse, no matter how inconvenient.

My heart goes out to anyone whose horse has been a victim of this barbaric practice.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Oh wah! I have been reported too. I let it go BECAUSE I was wrong to post what I did. I knew it when I posted it and went ahead anyway. Someone (besides myself) please take some responsibility and grow wiser.

I have no real opinion on the butchering deal except if it were mine I'd be heartbroken and hope they at least killed the horse quickly. Then I'd be mad as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I hope this is serious enough for law enforcement to set up a sting and make some arrests. I would be panicking if I lived in an area where this was happening and would instantly move my horse, no matter how inconvenient.

My heart goes out to anyone whose horse has been a victim of this barbaric practice.
    But they are doing this all over Miami-Dade county (which is huge) as well as up into Broward. Believe me, I wish there was some sort of safe haven, but unless I actually move elsewhere, I can't move my horse. So, I do the best I can & hope I am one of the lucky ones.

As far as shutting down the illegal slaughterhouses goes, well it's pretty much a joke. Some effort was made back in 2009 after all the national publicity, but I think it was more for show. Unfortunately, there is a lot of corruption as well as a lot of "oh well, look the other way" mentality.

Oh, you guys are talking about those slaughterhouses. Yeah, I saw that video, too. Nasty stuff. That isn't police, that's USDA that needs to go after them for public health reasons.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran