The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default After a Lull, Another Horse Is Butchered in Miami

Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

What is WRONG with people???

They are greedy, sociopathic thieves. At least that is what is wrong with the thieves and killers of this poor horse.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, this link from the same site says a lot - wonder if they are related?

http://www.local10.com/news/animal-s...h/-/index.html

that is just sick.

Sick. And "trunking" wtf?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

These stories make me nervous. I have seen people selling 'beef' out of coolers in the back of their pickups. It is amazing what people will fall for these days.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Sick. And "trunking" wtf?
    that horse was so sweet looking. What in the heck is the matter w/ people. ugh
    And
    my thoughts exactly - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does.

Re: Trunking. "But it's the culture." This is beyond revolting.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    that horse was so sweet looking. What in the heck is the matter w/ people. ugh
    And
    my thoughts exactly - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does.
    sweet looking?

Now, don't get me wrong:
    Stealing somebody's horse is disgusting, killing it for the choice parts is revolting, and leaving the spar parts for the BO/HO to find defies all description!

But 'sweet looking' is about as lousy as a horse description as it gets!

And somewhere along the line, if a small legal abattoir was available, with a little butcher shop...much of that would be avoided!

And let's not muddy the waters with 'trunking'
    I am sure the passengers of those rides have fake vaginas at hand as well...
    But other than prejudice and such, it isn't related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    sweet looking?

Now, don't get me wrong:
    Stealing somebody's horse is disgusting, killing it for the choice parts is revolting, and leaving the spar parts for the BO/HO to find defies all description!

And somewhere along the line, if a small legal abattoir was available, with a little butcher shop...much of that would be avoided!

Just a little problem with your theory...the horse didn't belong to whoever butchered it...so they would have to steal it first, then take it to a local abattoir without proof of ownership.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

sweet looking?

Now, don't get me wrong:

Oh come off it! "sweet looking" is just a term used to describe the horse. The thing is just standing there having a bite of grass, rather sweet looking if you ask me.
    AND..the horse was STOLEN, then chopped up, how does having a legal butcher shop stop a thief from stealing a horse? I also am not clear on your fake vagina reference.....
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

11 members found this post helpful.

sweet looking?

Now, don't get me wrong:

Where's the fruitbat??

24 members found this post helpful.

People harming any animals, but especially slaughtering a horse like that, are beyond revolting. I can think of several punishments that they should have to endure if caught (preferably at the hands of horse owners). The sad thing is that even if they are caught, they probably won't receive a fitting punishment, as nothing allowable by law would fit that crime.

So scary, and so sad.
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

3 members found this post helpful.

sweet looking?

Not true. It's a whole other world down here. And as people have pointed out, ALL of the butchered horses (from the past several years) have first been stolen. So, no, a local abbatoir would have NO impact on these incidents.

I'm in Miami. I own a horse. And these stories always terrify me. People are so sick.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    Well, this link from the same site says a lot - wonder if they are related?

http://www.local10.com/news/animal-s...h/-/index.html
    Well, they're related in the fact that a LOT of people around here have zero respect for animals. It's so disheartening.

2 members found this post helpful.

sweet looking?

Now, don't get me wrong:

You can get free horses on CL. Do you really think the thugs that would steal a horse and slaughter it rather than go get a free horse, would buy a horse/get a free one and take it to an abattoir to be humanely put down and slaughtered?

The fake vagina comment is just weird. Are you drunk?

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Not true. It's a whole other world down here. And as people have pointed out, ALL of the butchered horses (from the past several years) have first been stolen. So, no, a local abbatoir would have NO impact on these incidents.

I'm in Miami. I own a horse. And these stories always terrify me. People are so sick.
    That is an assumption without proof.

As I recall a lot of the problems in that area are illegal backyard operations, including all sorts of animals, not necessarily acquired illegally, just process unsanitary and not in compliance with any FDA/USDA rules. Meaning also that the humane rules are not followed.

The stolen horses of course make the news, because it is such a vial act. But it does not mean free or cheap horses are not processed. Legally bought.

The problem is - beside the stolen animals - that there is little regard for food safety.

In other words, you can probably take it for granted that there was horse meat sold in the time between the last reported theft and this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

An assumption without proof??? Have you read the news stories on this subject? Believe me, not only have I read all the many, many articles in the Miami Herald, watched all the local news stories on it, seen the CNN coverage on it a few years ago, I LIVE it. We horse owners down here have been pretty scared for the past several years because, yes, ALL those animals in the news were stolen and then butchered alive. With a chainsaw.

The illegal slaughterhouses are a whole separate issue of which I am well aware. Go to the Animal Recovery Mission's website and you can see videos of them. Yes, they are a major problem in and of themselves, but people stealing horses and chainsaw-ing their legs off is the issue we're discussing here.

5 members found this post helpful.

Frizzle, I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for you and others in your area, who have to worry about their animals falling prey to these types of crimes. I would worry myself sick if I were in that type of situation. I hope these criminals are caught and punished to the full extent of the law.
    Last edited by up-at-5; May. 3, 2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: adding more.
    ― Anna Sewell