The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What color is your (primary) xc/jumping saddle?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brown

24 58.54%
  • Black

16 39.02%
  • Two-tone

1 2.44%

Default Black XC/Jump Saddles

Well this is a really simple question, albeit maybe a silly one...

Are your XC/Jump saddles brown or black? I've always had brown but I'm once again back in the market and while shopping used, I'm finding that a lot of the black saddles in the particular one I'm looking for are cheaper. Perhaps because black is still less desirable in a jumping saddle?

I know you see them at the upper levels... I remember seeing quite a few at Rolex. But I'm still just wondering how common it is. That, and I'm extremely indecisive in my shopping.

Thanks!

My jumping saddle is black and brown. I absolutely love it.

Having a black horse, I am a big, BIG fan of the black saddle. I am also a fan of the UK/ Walsall style saddles, which happily often come in black. Which is a good thing, as I am now apparently on the hunt for a new-to-me saddle.

Black, however, is generally frowned upon in the hunter ring, so black may not sell well to that group.

My new saddle is dark, dark brown, but my old, much beloved saddle was black.

Mine is black. With white stitching. It also has patent leather flaps. Pretty darn classy. ; )
    It's certainly not cheaper.
    I think often you have to special order them which makes them more expensive.

I think the Prestige Eventer runs around 3500 now...?

ps, I used it at hunter shows too. Long billets and all. With a black bridle.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Mine are both brown, but others in my barn have black. It really doesn't matter. The only (minor) disadvantages are that a)if you want to cross enter into hunter shows, brown is preferable and b) slightly less market for resale (which is probably why your find them cheaper

Those are pretty minor problems though, if you find a saddle that fits you and your horse in your budget, any color is fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Aren't black saddles more likely to bleed dye when they get wet?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I find I like the way brown leather looks well broken in with a nice patina. Many (I am sure not all) black saddles fade to odd colors.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Aren't black saddles more likely to bleed dye when they get wet?
    Have not had that problem with any of my 3 black saddles during the past 10 years that I've owned them.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I'm going black with my new used saddle.

I prefer black, and mine is black, but I think brown tack looks better on a chestnut
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I have a black PJ and sent it on consignment because it didn't fit my young horses. It is cheaper...I specifically lowered the price because of the color, hoping to snag someone value-minded.

I paid less than I would have for a brown one in the same condition when I bought it used, too. New black saddles are not cheaper but I do think there is often a "less popular color" discount used.

Black, on purpose for the last 15 years. Lets me use single bridle, breastplate etc and not have to worry about color matching
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It still seems like the majority goes with brown, but that black isn't as uncommon anymore. However, I'm still torn... being that I've always had brown jumping tack, it would be a big change for me! Sounds silly, but it's true.

And once you factor in that all my dressage tack is already black, that would mean no brown tack at all!