The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there any chance this unborn foal is still okay???

A friend of mine acknowledges that she is not that experienced with foaling out mares, so she put her mare with a lady that is experienced in doing so. The vet that is being used is an experienced repro vet for the area. I dont know the lady. I dont know the vet, so no idea at all how experienced either one of them is

The mare is overdue by a week or so - nothing unusual. Last night at 11:00 pm my friend got a call that the mare was starting to have contractions so she went to the barn to wait and assist if necessary. The mare was sitting and sinking to the ground with her contractions so they did appear to be strong ones. They had a monitor in the barn office but chose to stay within eyesight of the mare but "stayed quiet" but the mare was very much aware of them watching her through the night and the morning. At daybreak the contractions stopped. The water never broke. I am thinking the mare very possibly backed off because she knew they were there watching her.

The vet was called and arrived at 9:00 this morning. He stuck one of those hollow tubes down there and about 18 inches in, he was "greeted by a nose and 2 hooves". In the birth canal. He poked a hoof and it responded. The foal had a heartbeat at that time. They were told to turn the mare out on grass and keep an eye on her all day. He was going to return at 5:30 this evening

I havent heard any updates at all. My friend didnt know if the cervix was dilated at all - the vet didnt say and she didnt think to ask. I am hoping no news is good news but it CANT be a good thing for the foal to be in the birth canal for almost 24 hours can it ??? Or even 18-19 hours to the time the vet returned at 5:30 to check on things???

I am really hoping the reason I havent heard is that all is still okay and she simply hasnt foaled yet but Ive never heard of a mare going through 6-7 hours of hard contractions, the foal positioned in the birth canal ready to come out and then the mare shutting down and going about her day like nothing is wrong at all.

Anyone else hear of this happening and was the end result good? Or bad?

Sounds rather like a mare being a mare. So long as your friend trusts the vet, I would have peace of mind since the baby is apparently in the right position. Foal picks the day, mare picks the hour. As long as water hasn't broken you should be safe. Poor mare.

My mare fooled us all this year, I had my mom out to the barn to watch the delivery after my boss called to warn me she was showing signs...had to send my mom home a couple hours later once she settled down. Foal was likely just turning. She actually foaled 2 days later.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

It is possible that the mare was having "Braxton Hicks". Prepratory contactions to place the foal in position for foaling. This can happen several days before the actual event.
    This year one of my experienced mares, this was her seventh, had them. SHe had never had them before. It was very visible and for me, painful to watch. Turns out the foal was quite large and the mare had to work to position him for a while before he could be born.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

2 members found this post helpful.

Interesting Marydell - the vet did comment at how large the foal was as well.

The foal has still not come out and my friend said her cervix was open from the time the vet checked her 24 hours ago. But - no way of knowing either if the cervix is fully dilated or just starting to open and still has a ways to go yet

I also had one that had pretty violent contractions about a day before she foaled. She had them on and off for 4-5 h, then stopped completely. About 14 hours later she had the foal, normally and without issue.

TrueColours, I am hoping that the foaling goes well for your friend. It would be a nerve-wracking situation for me. Sending positive thoughts her way.
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Still no foal. This cant be good. Contractions started Tuesday night and by Friday morning still nothing

I would be asking for 3rd, 5th and 7th opinions by now ...

This does not seem alarming to me. Are they doing milk testing? They should still be able to feel some kicking.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

1 members found this post helpful.

Update as of this morning

Baby has slid back down out of the birth canal, heartbeat is normal and fine, mare is running around and eating. neither one appears to be under any stress at all

Good news the baby isnt still wedged into the birth canal. The vet advised that he has seen several of these cases before and all was well in the end. No idea if the cervix is still open or has closed again

Is it possible he just "wedged" up there in all the moving around to start getting into the right position, and now that he's all turned around correctly, he just slid back down?

Jingles this all works out ok.

My mare just did this. we feel it was contractions to get the foal into position. Last Wed am visable contractions, off feed and waxed. Thought for sure she was going to go. All stopped by afternoon, but she was still on/off feed for another 24 hours. She foaled Sat night at 10:30. All fine, great IgG when checked.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

NICE update horsetales! SO glad everything went well with your mare

I think the most concerning part was that the foal stayed in that position with an open cervix for while, 18 inches away from being born. If it slid back down again right away, it wouldnt have been as concerning. Now that it HAS slid back down again and the mare is "normal" I think everyone is breathing a big sigh of relief

Any update on this mare, TrueColours?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Yeah - as of this afternoon - still nothing, but on the positive side the foal is very active and kicking up a storm and the mare is dripping milk. So ... all seems to be going in the right direction thank goodness

Ive just never heard of a foal being 18 inches away from being born with an open cervix, going back down again for a few more days to cook for a little longer ...

Any updates?? We have one at 371 days and are starting to get nervous. Mare was palpated last week and foal was deep in uterus. Mares ugh!
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Yesterday's update was the mare was running around outside, mowing down on the grass and baby was active and kicking up a storm in there but so far thats it! I believe she is about 10-14 days overdue now which appears to be the norm for this year - the mares going "about" 2 weeks over right across the board

Good luck with your mare maybedog!

I'm glad everything sounds to be OK.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

My one mare had a mild colic last year, baba was up in position waiting just like this little gaffer. Vet palates and could feel baby right away... Pulled out dry poop and mare felt better.
    This mare ended up foaling a couple weeks early and it was explosive with tearing. Had to be flushed as well because she retained the placenta as well. When it slid out eventually it was covered in red spots, petechiae-like. Vet had never seen anything like it and I certainly hadn't.

But anyways, the filly was ready and raring at the entrance also but was born healthy, if early.
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!