The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses, Spring, & Climate Change

Right now my part of the world is very, very dry--in the time that is frequently mud season. Last year it did the same thing, only a little earlier. The rains then came in time to save the grass, and I'm crossing my fingers the same happens this year.

After all, according to the Climate Wonks, the Northeast should be wetter and warmer, supposedly. Last year I saved a whole load of hay due to the mild winter--this year, it's STILL winter based on what I'm feeding.

Hotter, colder, wetter, drier; friends around the country have said "It's weird."

So here's the Big Question for all barn owners everywhere:

Natural variation, or The End of the World As We Know It?
    (Or, how scared spitless should we all be?)

We were 97F yesterday, 47F today with freeze warnings and a few days ago blew the old records by 12 degrees at 18F for a low.

Totally crazy weather, but they said in the droughts of the 50's it was the same.

We are absolutely dust storm dry pitiful, the fencerows have little sand dunes by each post and nothing growing in the barditches yet.

I don't think it is the end of the world, but part of how the world works, sunspot activity, etc.

We had snow last week, got about 6+ inches in one day. It finally warmed up and the sun came out ( we have had nothing but rain/sleet/snow) for the weekend. It was in the upper 70's and today we woke up to rain. The temp dropped from 45 to upper 30's and it snowed. Snow and rain predicted though the weekend. The weather is different 60 miles south, and really different beyond that.

Last winter was very mild and little snow. This winter wasn't as mild but not terrible. There wasn't that much snow until March and April. I hope the next couple days are it for May. I never know what to expect for weather. I do think it is windier than it used to be, no matter what season it is.

We've actually been doing really good with rain! Everything here is green, green, green. The past couple days were in the 70's-90's. Tonight and tomorrow it is going to be in the 30's and we are scheduled to get more rain that is going to turn into a rain/snow mixture through Friday night.

The weather is really odd. Someone on the news earlier tonight said the last time it snowed in our area in May was in like 1907 or something like that! Usually by this time it is already close to 100.

I'd say our hay is doing well this year so far. We are really making up for the lack of rain we had last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

We finished last year 4" ahead on rain and are about 7" ahead for this year (last Sunday we a good sample of what Houston got the day before, with a nearby town getting 5" in a day).

End of the world? No, that's going to happen with the super volcano at Yellowstone lets go!!!

The Earth's climate has been changing since our home was a cooling ball of molten rock. Nothing is different in present patterns than has gone on sometime in the past. There was a time, not so long back, the sea surface temperature at the North Pole was 50 degrees and there was enough life to create oil deposits.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I woke up to lots of snow, and still snowing. It started around 3 yesterday, and I hope it stops before 3 today!

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/kru...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/kru...tml?sort=3&o=0

It melts and then we get another load of it. I hope this is it until November. Or December.

This is interesting; it's freaky everywhere, but we're all on the same page as thinking it's a natural variation that's been seen before--me too!

I've got journals written by residents of our town as far back as the 1600's, and I'm sure mighty glad we've got OUR weather instead of THEIRS! God-awful snow that lasted from October to May, harbors frozen for months so no ships could move, and don't think tornadoes in the Northeast are a new phenom either. They also had their share of droughts and heat waves not to mention hideous plagues that took out up to a third of the population at times. Of course, they were more religious.

Bluey mentions solar flare activity; we have been for a number of years in a major cycle of exactly that, and scientists ADMIT "they don't know how that affects Earth." It IS documented that serious warming trends and such activity on the Sun are found together throughout history, as well as the fact that the Earth was both warmer and had more CO2 in the atmosphere in the time of the Vikings! That's why I'm not convinced the sky is falling just yet. Along with the fact that in the 70's they were predicting the Next Ice Age with equal fervor.
    Which that mongo Volcano in Yellowstone could actually kick off . . .

All things being equal, I'd rather fry than freeze.

Great to hear there will be hay this summer in Kansas!

Well last year we were using our outdoor by mid-March. We just had our first 'full' ride in it for this year last night! (It was dry enough in the middle to ride a bit last week but most of it was still too wet).