The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default De Niro breeding

I am planning to breed my Ferro daughter to De Niro this year. I know that I can register the foal as KWPN. But, I think I could also register it as a Hanoverian. Do you see any benefit to one over the other? Thanks

One thing may just be the availability of inspections in your area. The AHS has a fairly extensive inspection route, not sure of the NA-KWPN.

Dues may be another consideration. If you are already registered and member of KWPN then I can't imagine a reason to pay additional fees for another registration. If not maybe see which one is more affordable for you.

Marketability is another consideration. Some registries are generally considered better (for lack of a better term) than others. However, this becomes less of an issue once a horse is going under saddle and is being sold only as a riding horse. Then most buyers don't care about registry. If the horse may later be sold as breeding stock then I would choose a registry that is more highly regarded.

Lastly, if this mare is to become a regular broodmare you may want to look at which registry offers the most amount of stallions you may want to use in the future. Some registries are more restrictive than others.

I am a member of AHS and find them to be very supportive, offer great educational opportunities, informative at inspections, good marketing, etc. so I really like being part of their organization.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

They are both great registries, but, as Blume mentioned, your proximity to inspection sites may be an important deciding factor.

Is your mare already approved by KWPN? You may want to check with the office regarding whether you can register the foal by mail instead of going to an inspection.

AHS also registers foals by mail (does not require inspection), but the mare must first be approved into their studbook.

Another thing to consider is whether you are determined to have a branded foal. AHS brands foals, KWPN does not (minimum age for KWPN branding is 3 years).