The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Braiding the horse with no forelock

I'm going to a show this weekend and have to braid my horse myself (usually use a pro). I haven't had a whole lot of practice with braiding but I'm decent enough not to make an embarrassment of my horse and myself.

However, the horse I'm showing has a very sparse forelock. There are maybe 7-10 hairs that are the length of a normal horse's forelock, but the rest of it (not much) is fluffy stuff that doesn't seem much like forelock hair. I want to not break/rip out any forelock at all. Should I try to braid it like usual but with more pieces of yarn, or is there any way I could make a sort of prosthetic forelock braid out of yarn and attach it to his forelock?

My horse just has a poof of fuzz for a forelock. It's very short and fine. When I braided him, I just braided a thin french braid and tucked it in. So basically like normal, but I tied it in with some black yarn a few times to keep tucked up. It didn't look fat and pretty like normal forelocks, but it was neat and tidy.

http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws...0a9f09f0_7.jpg

If I were to do this over, I'd braid with more yarn to add some bulk to it. Maybe 2-3 strands instead of just the one.

I did the top part of the braid and then just tucked the miniature four stranded braid that was my old horses forelock into that. I tried making fake forelock with yarn, but it was a pain to take out.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

If the sparse forelock has enough hair I like to braid in tail hair which comes out just in the normal course of brushing the tail. I collect it, braid it, add it in.

With my TB, there's not enough hair for that, and it essentially becomes a couple rubber bands around the tiny tuft of hair to attempt to add some bulk, where there's not even enough for a braid.

I have had multiple no-forelock horses in a row, unfortunately, and am going to enjoy that the three year old actually has a forelock!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

My girl has a bit of a pathetic forelock. I add yarn as needed.

Another thing I do is her bridle path is a bit longer so I can grab some of the "bridle path" hair and braid that into her forelock.

I think her braids turn out fairly well....

although the "after" photo's are always amusing.

Personally I think braiding a slightly thinner forelock/mane is way easier then a thicker one. I am NOT looking forward to braiding my (just turned) 2 year old. Her forelock is insane now, where the heck did it come from??? Neither parent has hair like this??? (OldenburgxTB)

1 members found this post helpful.

I rode one horse who actually didn't have enough to braid. I sprayed quick braid and then kind of twisted the hair a bit to keep it neat, then put it in a tiny pony tail, and folded that under and tucked it up underneath. Add a little more spray, and you had to get real close to tell there was no braid.

I believe they make forelock extensions, for future reference.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I believe they make forelock extensions, for future reference.
    They do! http://www.theshowpen.com/Forelock-Extensions-s/60.htm

Wow, those forelock extensions are a good idea! If I needed to braid more than a couple of times a year I would get one.

Ahhh, one of the benefits of dressage: I have a TB who was blessed with about 12 forelock hairs, none even reaching two inches long. during all our show days, I simply ignored those 8 hairs. No one cared, no negative comments, etc.
    The last thing on the planet I would ever spend $ on would be forelock extensions - lol.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My old boy had just fuzz..(still does!) for his forelock and we just had the braider do a spectacular job on the mane and nothing on his forelock! I actually thought it was super cute looking because in our pictures, you could see his earnest effort on his face and then the tiniest tuft of forelock blowing up! I never got any guff for it. It just worked for him!