The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Humane Society of the United States

Good, Bad or indifferent

I too, have my doubts. The University of Davis published the Minimal Care Standards for Equines. This was the study that misused research done by other groups in other countries and applied it to the United States. i.e. REM study of shetlands all of a sudden became a minimal stall size i.e. 12 ' 5 " by 12 ' 5 " and a variety of other "weird" sizes it raised alarm bells.

Imagine our surprise when Susan Parisio challenged both the study and the University for attempting to pass an underground law adopting this study as a law..and she was told it was NOT written by a university equine authority, but, was written by an HSUS employee and published by the university.

They would not disclose whether or not money was directly paid to the University for their use of their name and reputataion,

The fact that HSUS has a reputation of going underground and behind the backs of others is what concerns horse and animal owners.

And. I guess, I should still present my contempt of a group that collects donations under ify pretenses and so little actually goes to any animal directly.

Ten thousand dollars, compared to the available MILLIONS of DOLLARS available is a meaningless drop in the bucket.

Why not take all of the donations ear marked for soring, by donors (and yes, you do track the use requests) and put that into a kitty to provide money and training to stop soring.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Good, Bad or indifferent

I too, have my doubts. The University of Davis published the Minimal Care Standards for Equines. This was the study that misused research done by other groups in other countries and applied it to the United States. i.e. REM study of shetlands all of a sudden became a minimal stall size i.e. 12 ' 5 " by 12 ' 5 " and a variety of other "weird" sizes it raised alarm bells.

Imagine our surprise when Susan Parisio challenged both the study and the University for attempting to pass an underground law adopting this study as a law..and she was told it was NOT written by a university equine authority, but, was written by an HSUS employee and published by the university.

They would not disclose whether or not money was directly paid to the University for their use of their name and reputataion,

The fact that HSUS has a reputation of going underground and behind the backs of others is what concerns horse and animal owners.

And. I guess, I should still present my contempt of a group that collects donations under ify pretenses and so little actually goes to any animal directly.

Ten thousand dollars, compared to the available MILLIONS of DOLLARS available is a meaningless drop in the bucket.

Why not take all of the donations ear marked for soring, by donors (and yes, you do track the use requests) and put that into a kitty to provide money and training to stop soring.

Leo
    I am not sure what you are aiming at....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Maybe at the latest contribution of one new member, JanHSUS, post 176:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=357235&page=9

A HSUS sympathizer poster asked this thread be started, don't know why?

I refuse to drink Kool-aid. From a cup extended in anyone's hand.

After much reading and many moments I thought my brain might just explode, I stand firmly and confidently by my conclusion that like PETA, the HSUS and the like are more concerned with image, face time in the press and income potential than the animals.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I suspect the point is that HSUS speaks with a forked tongue.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I suspect the point is that HSUS speaks with a forked tongue.

G.
    AGREED...

JanHSUS,

"HSUS is not interested in ending all horse ownership."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe at the latest contribution of one new member, JanHSUS, post 176:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=357235&page=9

A HSUS sympathizer poster asked this thread be started, don't know why?
    [edit]

My sport has been the victim of their very well funded campaign of lies, lies, and more lies.

Every legislative session we have to deal with their very well funded full time lobbyists. And the lies. Misinformation. Outrageous statements. Intentional misrepresentation of data. False conclusions from studies.

I'm sick of HSUS taking credit for the REAL work done by small rescues; especially the high profile cases in which HSUS has swooped in with cameras, taken the credit and the donations, and left rescues holding the bag.

I remember Katrina. I remember the photos the LSU volunteer posted showing HSUS employees throwing away perfectly good dog food, and crates still in their boxes, while rescuers tearfully begged for the crates so they could save starving animals left behind. And all the while, the HSUS website fundraising for CRATES!!

And what about the lawsuits from owners whose animals were taken by HSUS and lost?
    I remember the photo of their creepy employee, looking tough in black, telling reports how he loved to kick in doors.

I know of the federal lawsuits, in which HSUS employees were accused of impersonating police officers and seizing animals without due process. Smooth move, HSUS. Terrifying a poor widower in Hawaii. A man who was innocent of wrongdoing. News flash, HSUS. You are NOT police officers so stop acting like you are before you kick in the door of someone who has enough money and sense to fight back.

And hey, what's this about HSUS procuring false testimony in the Feld case? Lying to a federal judge, and the judge catching you, is pretty serious. Wonder why the mainstream press never reported on the fact that the basis for the Feld suit was a LIE.

I'm sick of HSUS. It's not an animal welfare org. It's nothing but a gigantic fundraising machine, doing next to nothing for REAL animal welfare. Guess that's why they got a D. Personally, I'd given them an F. For FRAUD.

I wouldn't piss on Wayne LaPierre if he was on fire.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

There is an enormous difference between animal rights and animal welfare.
    HSUS is the prototype for animal rights.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    [edit]

My sport has been the victim of their very well funded campaign of lies, lies, and more lies.

Every legislative session we have to deal with their very well funded full time lobbyists. And the lies. Misinformation. Outrageous statements. Intentional misrepresentation of data. False conclusions from studies.

I'm sick of HSUS taking credit for the REAL work done by small rescues; especially the high profile cases in which HSUS has swooped in with cameras, taken the credit and the donations, and left rescues holding the bag.

I remember Katrina. I remember the photos the LSU volunteer posted showing HSUS employees throwing away perfectly good dog food, and crates still in their boxes, while rescuers tearfully begged for the crates so they could save starving animals left behind. And all the while, the HSUS website fundraising for CRATES!!

And what about the lawsuits from owners whose animals were taken by HSUS and lost?
    I remember the photo of their creepy employee, looking tough in black, telling reports how he loved to kick in doors.

I know of the federal lawsuits, in which HSUS employees were accused of impersonating police officers and seizing animals without due process. Smooth move, HSUS. Terrifying a poor widower in Hawaii. A man who was innocent of wrongdoing. News flash, HSUS. You are NOT police officers so stop acting like you are before you kick in the door of someone who has enough money and sense to fight back.

And hey, what's this about HSUS procuring false testimony in the Feld case? Lying to a federal judge, and the judge catching you, is pretty serious. Wonder why the mainstream press never reported on the fact that the basis for the Feld suit was a LIE.

I'm sick of HSUS. It's not an animal welfare org. It's nothing but a gigantic fundraising machine, doing next to nothing for REAL animal welfare. Guess that's why they got a D. Personally, I'd given them an F. For FRAUD.

I heart you JSwan. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

[edit]

TRUTH! PISS on HSUS. Bunch of [liars].
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Yea...JSwan, Barb, et all pretty much said it.

HSUS = Animal RIGHTS. They don't have fark-all to do with animal welfare.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

[edit]

Someone else that agrees with you:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

Anyone that wants to keep their horses should beware of anyone claiming to be working in their interest, while clearly acting against it.
    There is a very important difference between animal welfare, to see that we do what we do with our animals in non-abusive ways, as the animals they are and the resources they are for us and animal rights, trying to provide human rights to animals and set them off limits from humans.

Animal rights extremists have caught on that it is bad PR any more to show their hand, so they are doing heavy animal welfare type PR to cover all the other they do to eliminate our uses of animals.

The trouble, they are winning, I am afraid, looking at their riches and influence in high places.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.
    Sheilah

I <3 you.

I really should keep a running tally of all the CoTH'ers I need to buy beers for.
    The dude abides ...

J Swan said it very well. Throw their fund raising stuff away!

^^^ This is a huge problem.

Locally HSUS has swooped in on cases of horse neglect (the horses better be real skinny and there has to be more than 50 of them), then asked small local rescues to take the horses in, but refusing monetary support for the rehab and maintenance of the animals.

Many rescues no longer have any intentions of assisting when HSUS is asking.

It does not help the animals (which should be the number one priority) when local support walks (runs) away because they have been burned before.

ASPCA sets aside certain funds every year to be able to award grants to equine welfare groups.

It would be a drop in the bucket for HSUS to do the same.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Well, the jokes on me because I wouldn't piss on the wrong person.

I was out watering my tomatoes and it dawned on me I'd typed the name of the head of the NRA, not the head of HSUS.

I'd blame my IPad but it was truly a typo on my part.

Note to self: Think faster, type slower.

Hey Pacelle - how do you sleep at night knowing HSUS is directly responsible for the suffering of horses being slaughtered in Mexico? How many animal welfare advocates (as opposed to animal rights activists like the people in HSUS) warned that rescues would not be able to handle the deluge of horses - and that the suffering of the nations herd would be INCREASED if the US plants closed.

That all came to pass - as HSUS was warned. But hey - you got how many millions of dollars in donations?

Nice try riding the coattails of respectable orgs trying to stop soring. That's typical of HSUS - sliding in and "teaming" with the people doing the REAL work - and then taking credit for something you didn't do.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

[edit]

I agree 100%. My vet showed me the pet crates and pet food that she and others dug out of the dumpsters when the HSUS people were snug in their beds for the night. I saw the stuff they got right out of the dumpsters with my own eyes JSwan, so I can attest that what you posted was 100% TRUE.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Locally HSUS has swooped in on cases of horse neglect (the horses better be real skinny and there has to be more than 50 of them), then asked small local rescues to take the horses in, but refusing monetary support for the rehab and maintenance of the animals.
    Yep, they land just long enough for a photo op and then it is off to the next fund raising bonanza. Horses, dogs, cats. You name it and HSUS has exploited suffering, and not lifted one finger to help.
    Sheilah

Please Coth mods can we get a <LIKE> button? It would make things so simple. I<Like> your post, too, IdahoRider