The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Low-Tracking Litter that ISN'T Pellets?

So, I've been using the corn/wheat/whatever mixed litter from Purina Tidy Cat because I like the vaguely-reminiscent-of-shavings smell and the bags are lightweight and easy to throw out. However, it makes a HUGE mess in the house. They track it EVERYWHERE. I'm constantly sweeping and dusting. It's worse than regular clumping Tidy Cat Scoop.

I tried Yesterday's News, figuring...pellets, that won't track, still lightweight, bag can go in mixed recycling bag and takes up less space than the Tidy Cat jugs from the regular litter (the buckets I keep as they're handy to have around.) Easy to dispose of. Well...wrong. I wasted a ton of it trying to scoop, and the cats LOATHED it. Didn't kill any odors, they flung it out of the boxes digging in it, and finally started peeing around the boxes. Had to deep-clean the room yesterday and got regular Tidy Cat Scoop for now.

Is there ANY litter that's relatively lightweight, clumps, soft on their little paws and behinds, and kills odor, but is NOT pelleted, doesn't get dust everywhere, and is scoopable? They really despised Yesterday's News and the house stank.

I think you'll get a bit of tracking on just about every kind of litter -- ribbed doormats underneath the litter pan tend to trap it pretty nicely. Even a cheap carpet remnant might do the trick.

I like Petco's store brand -- clumps hard, doesn't track much -- but it got a bit expensive since one of my cats is part fish and I'd end up going through a pail a week. Now I mix part Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat or Double Duty (cheaper, but clumps as well as the Petco) with horse bedding pine pellets that I water till they flake apart then I dry them. That mix does track but it seriously extends the life of the litter. The A&H litters are pretty good about knocking out the odors, but the litter itself is rather course so definitely not lightweight.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Cat's Pride Fresh & Light (sounds like what you're looking for, danceronice) and if it works any better than the normal clumping Cat's Pride (which I find kinda junky -- it doesn't really clump well, nor does it take care of the smell).

The Blue Buffalo walnut litter doesn't track very much, is lightweight, is AWESOME on the smell department, and the kitties like it.

It tracks SOME, but not all over the house. I have a box in the downstairs powder room, and it tracks onto the floor of that small room, but not out into the hall.

I use the clumping multicat.

My ONLY complaint with it is I've had a couple bags (over probably 6 or 8 or more months of use for four cats, so we go through a lot of it) that were very dusty and didn't clump as hard. I contacted Blue Buffalo, who said they would look into the issue and took the stamp off the bag, and sent me some free cat treats.

But other than that, it has been an excellent litter for us and I far, far prefer it to anything else I've ever used.

I use http://www.tidycats.com/products/alternative/purenature Pure Natural by Tidy Cats. It smells like cedar sort of and is absolutely delightful for me. It clumps up quite well with both urine and feces. I haven't noticed much, if any, tracking. I also have a small mat I put in front of the litter box that catches strays but I haven't notice any in there. My litterbox is in my closet which is a small walk in and I barely notice the smell as long as I clean it out every couple of days. I only have one cat.

I also like the Blue Buffalo walnut litter.

I really like pelleted litter but I REALLY HATED Yesterday's News. If you can stand the idea, maybe try one of the pine pellet types? I tried a bunch of different ones (and even some of the stuff made for hamsters when I was living abroad) and had success every time. Yesterday's News got flung all over the place, didn't smell as nice and also stained my cat's white fur and my white floor when it got wet. I wouldn't judge all pelleted bedding based on that particular product, in my experience.
    Founder of the "I met a COTHer in a foreign country" clique!

Premium Choice isn't bad. They have an unscented, multi cat, and baking soda formula. I found that most of it got caught in the litter mat and didn't make it to the floor. Whole Care Pet has a low tracking formula that has a nice scent and little dust. It's pretty cheap, but I found it at a local grocery chain and I'm not sure where else it is sold. Tracking is very minimal.

ETA: I did come across this before but haven't used it: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pet-Trac...rds=cat+litter

http://www.amazon.com/Boxiecat-Premi...rds=cat+litter
    Last edited by ThoroughbredFancy; May. 1, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Fair warning on that Pure Natural Tidy Cat stuff. It has corn in it. Let's just say I got a terrible bug problem from World's Best which is all corn. I will NEVER use corn litter again. It took forever to get rid of these little mite/beetle things in my house. I use Blue Buffalo and mostly like it but I think it tracks as bad as anything else. But overall, I do like it.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Reefy: Ut oh, never knew about that. I haven't seen anything in the litter so hopefully this stuff is ok. I might switch over just out of fear that I don't want that issue.

Another vote for the Blue Buffalo litter. I wish I had discovered it sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by reefy! View Post
    Fair warning on that Pure Natural Tidy Cat stuff. It has corn in it. Let's just say I got a terrible bug problem from World's Best which is all corn. I will NEVER use corn litter again. It took forever to get rid of these little mite/beetle things in my house. I use Blue Buffalo and mostly like it but I think it tracks as bad as anything else. But overall, I do like it.
    Pure Natural is the one I had. It gets everywhere. No bug problems, but little gritty tracks all over. I love the smell compared to the floraly scented ones, and it's the only "natural" litter I've tried that clumps at all decently, but the getting-everywhere was driving me nuts. (With four cats, that's a lot of kitty litter.)

On the Blue Buffalo, I don't think I've ever seen it, but I ignore everything with their label at TSC as there is no way I'm paying their prices for food, so I may never have noticed it. If their litter is priced like their food, it's probably not worth any reduction in dust! I'll have to see if anyone around here has it and what it costs--again with four cats I go through a lot.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I use Swheat Scoop--and solve the tracking problem by placing an inexpensive bath room mat/rug under each one. It clumps, smells good, and is very, very earth-friendly: clay litter is a horrible idea if you are interested in a non-polluting choice for your cats.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    On the Blue Buffalo, I don't think I've ever seen it, but I ignore everything with their label at TSC as there is no way I'm paying their prices for food, so I may never have noticed it. If their litter is priced like their food, it's probably not worth any reduction in dust! I'll have to see if anyone around here has it and what it costs--again with four cats I go through a lot.
    I go through less Blue Buffalo than I did clay, by about half. It seems to be quite a bit more absorbent, so you throw away less with each scoop. FYI.

I also vote Blue Buffalo. It's expensive, but I also use less than I did when I used swheat scoop. It only tracks a little less, and it can be dusty, but for me it's all 100% worth it because of the odor control. I live in a studio with two cats, so odor control is a huge factor, and blue buffalo has the best odor control hands down. Heck, the first time I used it I was cleaning the litter, and thinking "this actually smells kinda good!?!"

I second the bath mat idea. I would cut up a super large hefty bag so it expands to 3' by 3', then put down newspapers, then put the litter box in the middle of it.

This was for oldsters who got a little confused about aiming. But the problem is mechanical in IMO, how to get clumps off before they track.
    Another possibility is plastic grass pee pads around your box, that "grass" should help scrape clumps off paws.

I'm no help on the litter matter, as I use the cheap Wegman's brand stuff. It works for me and the five cats as well as anything else I have tried. I think I'm going to look at the Blue Buffalo stuff, though.

I just posted to give you another litter control option. I use the extra large puppy pee pads under my boxes. I started it because I have one cat that faithfully uses the box, but, doesn't have the greatest aim. It works very well for that but, as a side benefit, it also keeps the tracking under control. You just pick the pad up and shake the stray litter back into the box, and, when it gets too dirty, or your cat misses, you just pick it up and throw it away.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'll have to see if anyone around here has it and what it costs--again with four cats I go through a lot.
    I looked it up online... I usually go to Petsmart because it is the only place within 20 minutes of my house. It looks like it is $12 for a 14lb bag/ $26 for a 25lb bag. If you compare it to the Tidy Naturals is $11 for 7.5lbs.

Looks like Blue Buffalo is quite cost effective compared to what you are using (checking online retailers, not sure on locally owned places).

Quote Originally Posted by onyx98 View Post
    Heck, the first time I used it I was cleaning the litter, and thinking "this actually smells kinda good!?!"
    I had the same reaction--I think it smells like freshly turned earth, even when it's dirty.

For tracking, I use doormats. Something sort of like this: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56856...attern-21-x-32 Outside of the box (not under it.) Very effective at catching litter (far more than "no track" mats.)

I also have tall, deep sterilite tubs as litter boxes, which maybe reduces tracking because the cat has to jump out, instead of step out.