The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question IEA Horse Trials

I'm considering attending the IEA horse trials. Would love feedback on the event.
    What did you like/dislike about it? Is it worth traveling 5 hours for?

XC?
    Dressage Rings?
    Stadium?
    Nice Stabling?
    Fun event?
    Good Hotels?

Thanks in advance!

Great.
    Great.
    Great.
    Great.
    Great.
    Hotels are fine.

It's a very nice event and one I always look forward to. Our drive is a little more than 5 hours and well worth it. The hotels are a bit of a drive (about 20 minutes) and there are not dozens of places to eat, but that's trivial, really.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Deltawave, have you travelled into Franklin? There are several places to eat there. It's about 10 minutes by side roads.

Stabling is in permanent shedrows with either spigots between each stall or at the end by the washracks. Washracks at each barn. Footing in most of the dressage rings is felt. Stadium arena is very large and sometimes broken into two rings. Warm up in another sand ring.

XC fences tend to be max height or near max height for the level, no two foot high jumps for BN. They are solid well built pretty fences. IEA seems to be a beefier end of the year type course compared to Penny Oaks. There are ditches, banks, and water. Many of the fences are portable so the course has variation. Terrain is mostly flat flat flat you will go from woods to a clearing and back into woods but the galloping paths are very wide and well maintained.

What level are you thinking of doing?
    Last edited by enjoytheride; May. 1, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

I did a Novice there years ago and would go back in a heart beat if I still lived in the area, it would be n 8+ hour haul for me now... the xc course was inviting and my guy walked away ready for more. Stadium was in a big arena and pretty spread out.

I also did my C-3 pony club prep camp there and had a fantastic time, schooled everything.

Agree with above. Here's a novice helmetcam done at Penny Oaks HT which is run on the same venue at the Hoosier Horse Park. it may help give you some idea of the jumps and the Park. Done in Aug 2011 I believe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIiys0EwTQ
    Done before I knew when to start the camera or edit, so just FF thru the rather slow beginning before I start! Ride begins at about 3:45 into the video.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Deltawave, have you travelled into Franklin? There are several places to eat there. It's about 10 minutes by side roads.

Stabling is in permanent shedrows with either spigots between each stall or at the end by the washracks. Washracks at each barn. Footing in most of the dressage rings is felt. Stadium arena is very large and sometimes broken into two rings. Warm up in another sand ring.

XC fences tend to be max height or near max height for the level, no two foot high jumps for BN. They are solid well built pretty fences. IEA seems to be a beefier end of the year type course compared to Penny Oaks. There are ditches, banks, and water. Many of the fences are portable so the course has variation. Terrain is mostly flat flat flat you will go from woods to a clearing and back into woods but the galloping paths are very wide and well maintained.

What level are you thinking of doing?
    Just BN since I haven't even been XC schooling yet this year. The weather has sucked up here in WI so I will be schooling for the first time this weekend. I really wanted to do novice but that is just not in the cards for this spring. Height isn't an issue. He needs bigger jumps otherwise he runs over them... Partly why I would rather go novice....

I'm on the organizing committee, so I'm biased....

I think IEA is a friendly, well organized horse trials. Courses are up to what you'll find on the east coast, so enter what you are jumping.

We're one of the few events that still has a competitor party on Saturday night.

We've done a lot of work on footing in the dressage rings, it is a GGT and sand mix. I love it enough that I put it in my ring at home.

We've aerovated & fertilized the galloping tracks this spring.

Stabling is in shed rows; permanent & nice. Can be dusty due to the drives that surround them.

We really do try to run a professional, yet competitor friendly event.

5 members found this post helpful.

Every time I've gone to IEA as a competitor or volunteer I've had a great time. Even the year Taco got injured. Nice courses, people, and facilities. Does anyone know whether the stadium arena has also gotten new footing? That is my only concern. We travel 5 hours to get there and it is worth it!

Thanks for all of the feedback on the event. Now I feel more excited about going! I only show maybe 5-6 a year so I like to make the distanced trips nice ones.

I went to Penny Oaks once. I was surprised that the stall was 12x12--disadvantage for needing more bedding, great if you have a big horse. I think the newer barns may have smaller stalls. Also, my stall had the electrical outlet way up high in the back of the stall--bring an extension cord and a step ladder if you have them, just in case. (I climbed on my shavings bags to plug my fan in!)

Wow, I *love* bigger stalls at shows since my horses are in them so much. An extra bag or two of shavings is no big deal compared to having a comfy horse.
    Click here before you buy.

It's a great event, people are friendly, good location and nice courses. XC is very fair for all levels (I've been around all the tracks at least once). Our eventing association does a wonderful job keeping the course safe, up to date and fun. There are plenty of places to eat and an outlet/antique mall for shopping all within 10-20 mins. Hope you can make it!