The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Indeed... all they can do in those boots is hang.straight.down!!!

And I have to say...although they were expensive, I looooooooove my boots and think they were worth every penny I spent on them. My leg was instantly so much better; I could lengthen my stirrups to where my trainer wanted them, and my leg would just stay there!! Highly recommend!!!
    I think I love you!! Great. I thought I was done spending money for a while. OK, maybe I will try to borrow a pair and see if they are the miracle cure.

Now tell me about gloves that will make my forearms relax. I KNOW my trainer would make me run right out and buy them!!!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Sandy, those Petries wouldn't happen to be an 8 or 8.5 tall slim, would they? Just curious .

And Lucassb, I love your horse!!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Sandy, those Petries wouldn't happen to be an 8 or 8.5 tall slim, would they? Just curious .

Sorry, 9s and tall/medium calf. He's been good lately at home and at shows, still iffy on the trail. Maybe I'll dare to wear them at a show later this summer! LOL

I have been lucky to do a fair bit of shopping overseas:

technical jacket bought off sale rack in Germany: $150
    gloves:bought on sale ebay: $30
    pikeur breeches (I wear cream so this was harder find than white): amira~$200
    tshirt from TJMaxx: $10 (bought two of them)
    stock tie from ebay (cream as well): $30
    stock pin: same I've had since a kid
    saddle pads (two cream ones ONLY used for shows): $80/ each
    Konig boots (semi custom): $900 (thankfully a birthday gift!!)

I have considered buying a second pair of Konigs when I am in Germany later this summer as they are so much cheaper there. I ride everyday in my current Konigs...just polish them up for a show. My worry is if my zipper breaks I am SOOL so would like a second pair. I just have to see what the budget will be then.

the good thing is quality items can last you your entire show lifetime, there might be fashion trends but nothing really goes horribly out of style so I see these purchases as one time costs.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I think I love you!! Great. I thought I was done spending money for a while. OK, maybe I will try to borrow a pair and see if they are the miracle cure.

Now tell me about gloves that will make my forearms relax. I KNOW my trainer would make me run right out and buy them!!!
    Haha. No joy on the gloves, I'm afraid... but if you find some, you better share!!!

Aw, thank you. He's such a good sport, and I feel really lucky to have him. You can dress him up for pretty much anything and he's always game

If you decide to go for the boots and don't want to go custom - you might want to look for a pair of Rectiligne dress boots. I bought a pair of their Hannover model at a great price. Unfortunately, the tall/slim was just a smidge too tall for me, and even with heel lifts they are just a bit taller than I can ride in comfortably. But they were a super deal and they're beautiful boots.

PS. I love your sig line!!!!!!!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you're looking for a lighter weight coat, check asmar equestrian's website...they have last year's dressage coats on clearance for $75. I was iffy about buying from a "lesser known" brand but I got mine in the mail 2 days ago and it fits beautifully and is so lightweight and comfortable. Can't wait to show in it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I will second that a stiff boot really does hold your leg/ ankle still and also makes it more difficult for lifting the heel and encourage using your entire calf for aids. I am always suspect to say some sort of riding gear will solve all problems but a good stiff boot does help. I have Konigs that were a total B**ch to break in for about 3 weeks but now are super comfortable to ride in.

Forgot to add: I show in my regular helmet, same bridle, same saddle/ girth that I ride in daily. I did buy a semi-blingy browband (not rhinestones but rather black and maroon stones) when I scored a 66+% at Second Level. I tend to set a goal for myself if I want to purchase a non-essential I use the browband everyday though as I think it is too pretty to stay hidden other than 4-5 times a year!

My friend and I, much to the bane of my trainer, don't go crazy at horse shows. We bath them, braid them, tack them up with generally clean tack, etc. But we don't spend hours polishing our boots to mirror shine, don't press our clothes, don't polish hooves, will ride in breeches with a little dust on them, etc. Hasn't affected our scores yet

But we did add velcro to our show saddle pads to adhere numbers to them. Looks better than a big number on the bridle when you buy show pictures and such.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I buy almost all of my clothing (boots as well) online from European tack shops. Prices even with shipping are almost half of what you would pay in the states.

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...age/index.html

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/About_Us.html

http://www.classicdressage.com/

Coat about $120
    Breeches about $100 each (3 pair)
    Shirt about $25 each (They used to make these in short sleeve version. I have 4)
    Boots about $220 on ebay. 1 pair for shows & clinics
    Helmet about $150 used for show only.
    Yes, I wear a helmet when I am not showing too
    Stock tie so old I traded glasses beads with the natives for it.
    Dress to wear over everything to keep clean (sort of) $30. I have 2.

ETA I ride in football receiver gloves (youth size xl or adult m). During football season you can find them on ebay pretty cheaply ($6/pr with sticky leather, just like Neuman's)
    Last edited by nhwr; May. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Thanks for the great replies ...

The items that don't get a lot of wear, like neckware and stock pins, I've received as gifts and cherish them more for it. (Thank you CoTH Secret Santa, who I still don't know for the beautiful stock pin and neckware, and StellaTKM for the neckware and skirt (http://www.tracymicheledesigns.com/g...g-skirts1.html) ...)

Some stuff I'm hoping to revive from my long-ago show days (Schumacher breeches! and carefully stored gloves), and other stuff I've purchased on sale over the years, but the coat floored me.

I admire everyone's successful sleuthing!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Another deal hunter here. Breeches are all sales/eBay/consignment buys. I don't pay more than $30 for any of them. I've got everything from Tailored Sportsman to Equine Couture to TuffRider (my daily ones).

Coats are all consignment or eBay. Most I paid for any of them was $150 for my wool Melton I foxhunt in. The show costs were all under $75.

Shirts are random sale shirts. All were under $20.

Stock ties are all plain white (also foxhunt so they do double duty). Stock pin has a fox head and is the same one I wear for both.

Gloves I have two 'nice' pairs, one black and one white crochet with the leather palm. When they don't look good to show/hunt in, they go into the schooling pile and get replaced with a new pair. I like SSG, so they're not terribly expensive to replace. I also have a couple of their basic ones in black and obnoxious colors for schooling.

I do have two helmets. My schooling helmet is a $40 Aegis. It fits and its got the same certifications as the expensive ones. My show/hunting helmet was an $80 IRH. Just the traditional velvet hunt cap look.

I have two pairs of the same boots. Dublin Aristocrats. I school in one pair. Got them off eBay for $60. Bought the other pair new on sale for around $100. I really didn't need the second pair, but they're discontinued and I love them so I got them. They both clean up nicely enough to show/hunt in despite daily use. The newer pair I use for really formal stuff like the opening hunt.

Show coat: $175 plus tailoring (Horseloverz)
    Shadbelly: $250 (Equestrian Collections Closeout)
    Breeches: many pairs of Cotton Natural Full Seats (under $100 each)
    Shirts: an assortment of pastel colored Kerrits with the zipper ($45 each)
    Stock ties: 3 fancy pre-tied ones (its a weakness) ($50-75 each)
    Dress boots: same thing I wear every day, fuller fillies dress boots
    Gloves: SSG washable in white, $40
    Helmet: Charles Owen JR8
    Infinite supply of hair nets

Oh I stick my feet out JUST fine in my stiff boots LOL

I spurged on some on sale Petries, and I WILL splurge on a nice coat, or a nice used one here soon... Everything else is cheap cheap cheap ! lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ArabDiva View Post
    If you're looking for a lighter weight coat, check asmar equestrian's website...they have last year's dressage coats on clearance for $75. I was iffy about buying from a "lesser known" brand but I got mine in the mail 2 days ago and it fits beautifully and is so lightweight and comfortable. Can't wait to show in it.
    I took a look and could not believe the sale price OR the fact that they had one in my size. Snapped that puppy up right now! Can't wait to see if it fits better than my current coat, which I completely and absolutely hate.

Thank you for the great tip!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a dedicated helmet, that was kind of pricey but they last a few years.

Two show coats, both used pikuer, have to say they don't fit all that well (too big, I've dropped some weight over the years) - I have had both of them for at least 5 if not 10 years.

Breeches are the hardest - I finally broke down and got a new white pair this year on ebay. Those were $165.

Most of the stuff you can use for forever because you only use it maybe half a dozen times a year.

BUT I have a question - I was at a pretty big show in April and I saw a woman showing in a really nice slate blue coat with some lovely piping. It was made of what looked like a lighter weight fabric. She was petite, so am I, so I am trying to figure out what kind of coat it was. Any ideas?

Holy crap, THANK YOU for the Asmar Equestrian tip! I saw these coats at our local horse expo and thought they were gorgeous, but they did not have my size. When you wear a 36I bra, riding clothes are almost impossible to find. I ordered the gray AND the navy. At $75 each, how can you lose? Buh bye, boring old Pikeur Diana! The bad news is, now I am going to need the navy and the grey One K helmets, too lol.

To keep your breeches white, consider a long skirt of some fun kind. Most of my stuff is comfortable and from a sale, so letting it sit until needed means it looks new. Ditto the above on boots. Make sure they are flexible and that your leg can relax.

I have a lovely Pikuer coat that I got for free. It was abandoned in our trailer and stayed there, unloved, for a couple of years. It was worn exactly ONCE before I adopted it (I was with the original owner when she purchased it....full price). I DID spend maybe $80 to get it altered....still a steal of a deal.

I'd be all over the Asmar Equestrian jacket, but I'm afraid that it won't fit my shoulders. But for $75, it may be worth the risk. The size chart only has chest and waist measurements. Anyone know how they fit?

LadyNeon01, I tried one on at the expo, and the shoulder fit seemed pretty normal to me, even though the jacket wouldn't button over my gimundo breasticles. I figure if they do not work, there are a couple of wonderful consignment tack shops here where I will sell them if they do not work. Worst case scenario, I will be able to get my $75 back. Best case, I have two lovely new show coats! If that is available as an escape route for you, I say go for it.

I bet if you called them, they would dig up the shoulder measurements for you.
    Last edited by CrotchetyDQ; May. 3, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: additional opinionating