The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Riding Expenses

I am working on a project and have to figure annual expenses involving riding and competing.

Here is what I have:
    horse shows (i have the costs of gas/hotels w/i this)
    training
    board
    farrier/vet
    supplement
    USEA membership
    equipment
    truck/trailer maintenance
    *horse

What am I forgetting? Also, what categories would you add if you were competing at the upper levels. I know the costs would change. These are just expenses involving riding, not personal. I've excluded insurance. I've included meals @ shows in horse shows account. I feel like I'm missing small expenses, but can't put a finger on it.

any interstate health certificates? or is that under farrier/vet?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

If you want to figure out upper level costs, look up the prize lists/entry forms for some upper level shows and factor those in.

Is feed included in board?

Is teeth included in vet?

Disposable grooming stuff? (brushes and things last a while but things like fly spray, show sheen, grooming blocks, etc, have to be replaced fairly often)

Deworming? (or does vet/board cover that?)

Do you pay for braiding/clipping for shows?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

oh ... check out my post about clothing posted just a few minutes ago where I ask people about just show clothing!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I think you got most of them. Another one is potential loss of income while you are traveling and showing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are your day fees at shows included in your show calculation (braiding, coaching, etc.)? Stabling?

coggins/health certificate are included under vet, feed is included in board, tack and rider apparel is under equipment. I thought about braiding/clipping, but I usually do that myself.
    I've looked up entries, and have made adjustments figuring in higher costs as one moves up levels.

If you're doing a more GENERAL thing, I'd do a separate entry for braiding. Most people who braid don't do it themselves. Especially for the upper levels when it has to be PERFECT.

I'm a little worried I've under-budgeted for Vet. For 1 horse I've listed $650, but I also have a completely different account for farrier and supplements now. My current horses don't on average cost me near that amount now.

For tax purposes on our farm I'd be writing off the depreciation on the truck, plus the interest on the payments, same with trailer. Then add tags and insurance. THEN add maintenance, like oil and lube and tires. You have a cost of keeping the truck just to have it sit, then you add costs as you move it. If you just want the straight forward cost then use the cost of payments as your basis, then tags etc.

If you pay to have the animal shipped that is a much more straightforward expense.
    You have training, that would be rides for the horse and lessons for you, do you pay to go to a gym or do other conditioning that involves consideration? PT/chiro/ dietary supplements for yourself?

Do you have items professionally cleaned or repaired? Blankets, coolers, show items.

UL riders often travel separately from their horses, so add cost of airfare and start thinking about grooms and drivers.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think you are low on vet fees, unless it is a young horse that doesn't need any orthopedic maitenance (Adequan, Legend, etc.). Body work by chiro or massage? My spring work on one horse (shots, teeth, vet trip charge) was almost $300 alone. I didn't get Coggins or do health papers. Also what about the little things--waxed thread, braid spray, coolers, wraps, fly spray, clippers/blades, ulcergard, buying shavings at the show, farrier at a show when horse throws a shoe, all those tiny things that add up to lots of money.

My friend just spent a few hundred bucks on mats for one show, because it was in a city and the horses were stalled on concrete. I think there are all kinds of weird random things that crop up and ruin budgets...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Thank you all so much. I did add a cleaning expense and barn supplies which would cover yarn/fly spray/etc. That's why I didn't know if I would be low on vet expense, I've used chiro. and acupuncture, but haven't in so long now know if I will need to. The budget in short is w/i 6 years if you had all the money you needed, (within reason) how much would it cost to go to Rolex.
    I'm the rider that camps in my horse trailer and won't buy a new pair of tall boots even though I've worn holes on the inside.. Given the freedom to make as large a budget as I want, my eyes are rolling back looking at what it's taking.

Unless you are on a weight loss program.... Food.

Eating out on the road can become expensive, plus possible entertainment of others

Do us all a favor, when you figure it all out don't post the total on here Otherwise you'll have to throw in therapy into the mix as well.

5 members found this post helpful.

Don't forget divorce lawyer (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Medical Fees due to injuries.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

1 members found this post helpful.

I added up all my expenses for doing endurance 6 months out of the year, plus total yearly expenses and it came to $14,000. Well-paying job, generous spouse and grandparents that babysit are all critical to your success. Oops, forgot horse that won't go lame, got lucky there.

Thank you all so much. I am very much aware of the tole that constant competing can cause on families. I am not married yet, but know that juggling both can be hard. (Denny Emerson's book: 'How Good Riders Get Good' goes over this so well, it's a must-read)
    I have just about finished my budget, at least I'm going to send it off today. Still in the back of my head I am figuring ways to cut costs. I added a horse trailer in year 3 with the suggestion of my family. My 20yo gooseneck isn't lovely.
    I keep telling myself this budget is just a best-case scenario. I'd be happy to send a copy to anyone that has the stomach to see it.
    Thank you all so much.

Vet. Vet. Call vet again. Vet. More vet. Enter event. Scratch. Loose money, call vet. I'd guess about a zillion dollars. At least that's what my bank account says.

Is your horse very valuable? There are insurance costs you might want to include or at least investigate.